• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Signage

i think the 4x4 posts with the info carved or burned in seem to work best because you can easily paint over graffiti and they are very cheap to replace and very hard for douchebags to break.
Truth to that.

Also, those type of signs tend to be low enough that even when installed at the front of a tee box (hate that) you won't whack your hand on one on a follow-through.

We have the 4x4 signs at a local course out here and even those got trashed pretty quickly, or just disappeared all together. At one of the other course we had signs that were two 4x4 posts with a 2-3 inch thick board to mount the actual sign to, then they put the signage on and covered it with a 1/4" thick piece of lexan then screwed it in at the corners. I dont think they lasted a full season. For some reason alot of the casuals out here take pleasure in destroying the course, and or covering it with graffiti. Kind of annoying, makes the course look like crap, and gives the sport a bad image.

When shopping for signage, I'd advise going for the following characteristics.

1. Durable enough to stand up to the elements.
2. Cheap enough to replace when vandals or the elements get to them, (and in time they will), or when the hole changes.

The problem I see with too much course signage is that its too flimsy, or too deluxe. I like the metal frames on the DGA signs, even though the sticker diagrams are downright awful.

Truth to that.

Also, those type of signs tend to be low enough that even when installed at the front of a tee box (hate that) you won't whack your hand on one on a follow-through.
thats a good point , i dont think ive ever actually hit my hand on any signs but just the fact that the map style signs or so visable the thought is there and sometimes thats enough to throw you off . i think thats another reason i would suggest 4x4s over the pole and map signs .

ive seen some pictures of courses with rock signs which i think would be another low out of your visual idea that could also be a little more douch proof than fancier styles and also go good with a more natural course like we have in texas.

Graffitiing, sign-stealing bastards have ruined it for the rest of us.

I understand that installation and upkeep of signs can be expensive. But it is such a plus to the course if there are signs. And if the cost is too much, make a map available on-line. That seems to be the most cost-effective solution to the problem.

When shopping for signage, I'd advise going for the following characteristics.

1. Durable enough to stand up to the elements.
2. Cheap enough to replace when vandals or the elements get to them, (and in time they will), or when the hole changes.

The problem I see with too much course signage is that its too flimsy, or too deluxe. I like the metal frames on the DGA signs, even though the sticker diagrams are downright awful.

Those dga signs are pretty cheesy on the graphics but have made countless rounds of golf better.

those map style signs look cool but are so inacurate visually, most of the time they dont help you determine which basket your throwing at at all. A board or brick with an arrow and the distance would be more effective and would help keep the cost down ,which is key to getting courses built and maintained, especialy non taxpayer funded courses whos very survival might depend on how much it cost to keep it open.

Anyone ever seen a course with Fiberglass Field Marker Posts?

fiberglass-field-marker-FM60.jpg

Not a lot of room for a picture, but a simple #1 244YDS would fit. They look pretty tough.

244 yards thats a monster i think you might need a map for that one:)

yar yar! I forgotted and used yds in my example instead of feet. I'm sure there are holes over 732 feet out there :)

kk how about #1 244 and leave off feet or yards, more stickers cost more. What do you really need on a tee sign? Tee #, the fiberglass field marker come in red white blue and yellow colors so you could use those for the different tees and not need to indicate that on the sign. Maps are nice but are more susceptible to vandalism, no?

They have posts simliar to those at Wabun picnic area near me. And they actually did write the distances in yards. They seem to hold up pretty well and the course is short enough that they don't really need maps.

yar yar! I forgotted and used yds in my example instead of feet. I'm sure there are holes over 732 feet out there :)

kk how about #1 244 and leave off feet or yards, more stickers cost more. What do you really need on a tee sign? Tee #, the fiberglass field marker come in red white blue and yellow colors so you could use those for the different tees and not need to indicate that on the sign. Maps are nice but are more susceptible to vandalism, no?
the only other thing you might need is an arrow from time to time to point out which basket to shot at at some of the little compact neighberhood park courses but at most courses the distance usally clears that up.

The only problem id see with those fiberglass signs would be someone falling on top of them and generally im all for thinning the herds a little but when you start thinking about wet teepads and throwing over a 100yards even us einsteins can take a stupid fall now and then.

Signs are easily overlooked by local players. Once you've played the course a couple of times, you know your way around and where the baskets are and rarely if ever look at the sign. With the probable exception of courses with multiple basket locations and an indicator on the sign as to which is in play.

Signs are importantly mainly to the first-timer. As someone who used to travel and visit lots of courses once, I found poor signage a major burden. But on my local course, a sign could be stolen and I might not notice for a couple of years.

And it is the local players, who aren't noticing, who would be the only people to remedy the problem.

Many places have a small number of volunteers who actually care for the course, with limited funds and even more limited time, and other needs always seem more pressing.

This is spot on, its only the locals that can remedy this problem. Get out and volunteer at your local public park, find out who the contact is for the rec department, and donate your time. Run a league and raise some cash for the course, sure it will take awhile. You dont need the most fancy signs in the world as anything would be appreciated by out of towners.

I guess its just that nobody wants to do the work to replace the signs. It doesn't bother me that signs aren't up, its not like we pay to play. So I don't expect the course to be immaculate. I go to the courses page on the DGR website and print out the map. There is a map of almost every course

Why is it that so many courses lack proper signs? Many courses no longer have maps to them and often I find myself wandering around searching for the next hole. This is very frustrating to me and therefore have to bring binoculars with me to the new courses that I go to. Many of the signs are old and vandalized or just missing. Why is there such lack of attention to this? Cost? Upkeep? I would like to know what you thought of this and ways to improve this problem.
:)
its fun this way. you get more exercise

The only problem id see with those fiberglass signs would be someone falling on top of them and generally im all for thinning the herds a little but when you start thinking about wet teepads and throwing over a 100yards even us einsteins can take a stupid fall now and then.

I've seen them in 5.5 and 8 foot versions, figuring 2 feet in the ground that leaves you either 3.5 feet or 6 feet above ground. Maybe 3 feet deep on the 8 foot one would be the sweet spot, 5 feet exposed.