• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Silver Series: The Open at Belton Mar 18-20

Dickerson has been pretty dominant these first 2 rounds. Hope he can do more of the same tomorrow.

So it looks like DGN just ate Central Coast's coverage and is giving it back to us with most of the nice features removed?

No scorecard, no dope beats, no personality, barely any replays…

I think their deeply misunderstanding what's attractive about DG coverage.

I like Nathan Queen as a player, not so much as an announcer. A bit too soft spoken for my taste.
Chandler Fry is a little more upbeat, but not much. Just my opinion, but pairing them together makes for a snoozefest.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I really enjoyed this tournament last year.

Not the most picturesque course, but I really liked the design.

The final round brought out the classic Rick/Paul battle, where both of them began the final round with a significant lead over the rest of the field. Was a fun watch.

I would say it is one of the most chintzy courses I have seen. Some decent holes but mostly bad.

Strange..On Eveliinas Instagram she is throwing at Heritage Park in her latest post. . .but i cant se her name in the tournament?!

I would say it is one of the most chintzy courses I have seen. Some decent holes but mostly bad.

Two rough winters in a row along with a major drought at the moment. The plants in most of Texas are suffering big time. It is what it is. Right now, most of the state is pretty ugly.

Two rough winters in a row along with a major drought at the moment. The plants in most of Texas are suffering big time. It is what it is. Right now, most of the state is pretty ugly.

It's not the color, it's the design that is poor. Lot's of tweener holes, lots of trees in the middle of fairways, mounds and random rollaways into roped OB on greens, poop sticks, etc...

I think some summer foliage would help the course, aesthetically.

I enjoyed the Nathan & Chandler commentary for round 1. It wasn't too flashy but there was a lot of good technical detail on how the wind played, and how the players were managing angles to work with that.

It's the kind of information that can help illustrate strategy and nuance for the ignorant masses who think any open course is a boring hyzerfest.

It's not the color, it's the design that is poor. Lot's of tweener holes, lots of trees in the middle of fairways, mounds and random rollaways into roped OB on greens, poop sticks, etc...

I like manicured fairways and flat greens to tiny baskets. That's the only thing that will save the sport.

ballgolf

One person's opinion:
First, it looks to me like they have tried VERY hard to make the course challenging and interesting ��. To me, it was incrementally better than last year. Keep up the hard work.
Second, I liked the Nathan/Chandler team. It's a nice break from the sophomoric silliness (Jomez without Sexton) and over-talkative banality that characterizes some other commentary.
Like I said, one person's opinion.

I like manicured fairways and flat greens to tiny baskets. That's the only thing that will save the sport.

ballgolf

I like well designed, challenging yet fair holes that reward excellent shots. When even the commentators are complaining you know it's a bad course.

Of course having a challenging target would help the scoring spread some on these super soft Par 4's/tough Par 3's. But that isn't the only solution.

Last edited:
So it looks like DGN just ate Central Coast's coverage and is giving it back to us with most of the nice features removed?

No scorecard, no dope beats, no personality, barely any replays…

I think their deeply misunderstanding what's attractive about DG coverage.

A monopoly allows entrenched interests to be privileged over those who focus on quality and innovation.

A monopoly allows entrenched interests to be privileged over those who focus on quality and innovation.

DGN is slowly trying to tighten its grip on coverage. It sees coverage as its cash cow if it can only get it all behind a paywall. The Jomez contract runs out at the end of next year so I'd not be surprised if the next contract tried to get it all behind the paywall with options of watching DGN live or Jomez post round coverage for subscribers, then releasing the coverage to YouTube a week later or such.

DGN is slowly trying to tighten its grip on coverage. It sees coverage as its cash cow if it can only get it all behind a paywall. The Jomez contract runs out at the end of next year so I'd not be surprised if the next contract tried to get it all behind the paywall with options of watching DGN live or Jomez post round coverage for subscribers, then releasing the coverage to YouTube a week later or such.

Not terribly surprising. And it makes some sense -- there is a limit to how many camera crews you can have following a lead card before the crews become a course obstacle in themselves.

I just hope they don't suck all the life out of the product in a quest for revenue. I'm curious whether we will look back on the past several years of scrappy production companies putting out content as a golden age or a dark age of coverage. I've personally gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of it and I think it has brought a lot of people into the sport.

Jon Gomez (i.e. Jomez) has stated that he doesn't want his coverage to be behind a paywall. It'll be hard to get enough subscribers in order to cover what they lose from forcing Jomez to be behind the paywall. A certain $250k is good for a company that has yet to have a profitable year.