• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simon lizotte putting style

I like Simon's style because it has so few moving parts, hardly looks like he is doing anything at all and the disc goes spinning into the basket. It is clear he isn't at the level of Paul at putting, but who is?

Exactly, i picked simon's style because it seems simple and effective. I was a push putter but always came up short of my circle edge putts. I didn't miss left or right but up and down. I felt like nikko with how many times i hit dead center bucket. after experimenting with Simon's putting style I feel a lot more confident from 30-40.

Exactly, i picked simon's style because it seems simple and effective. I was a push putter but always came up short of my circle edge putts. I didn't miss left or right but up and down. I felt like nikko with how many times i hit dead center bucket. after experimenting with Simon's putting style I feel a lot more confident from 30-40.

That's why some pros, namely Feldberg, used a push putt style in the circle with beaded putters and then used a spin putt from longer distances with a beadless putter.

Simon's misses almost seem to be because he doesn't care enough/doesn't take it seriously. I don't have any issue with his style

If you feel more confident at 30 feet then go for it. I started out push putting then went to a mcbeth style spush putt. I practiced and used it for months, but as soon as I reverted back to my old style, my putting was just so much better. So I just decided, do whats comfortable and dont force anything.

I think Steve Rico is a better spin putter and has a more 'locked in' technique, using his legs more - looks more like how someone would practice and shoot free throws. Also from what I can tell, Simon putts with a power grip, which I always thought was a no-no.

Here's some putting tips from Rico:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEfjeUvy_ic

I think Steve Rico is a better spin putter and has a more 'locked in' technique, using his legs more - looks more like how someone would practice and shoot free throws. Also from what I can tell, Simon putts with a power grip, which I always thought was a no-no.

Here's some putting tips from Rico:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEfjeUvy_ic

Ya, I really like Steve Rico's "Cobra strike" putting style. Saw an interview (maybe the one you attached) where he basically said he tried to develop a push putt, but it just didn't work for him - which was my experience too (althoughI'm sure he tried a lot harder). Feldberg talks about how hard it was for him to develop a push putt too - said he basically holed up in a warehouse for the winter and practiced it all day.

To me, the main thing with putting is practicing the same way over and over again, and becoming supremely confident in it. Sadly, I never get enough time to do that ;)

Even though it appears Simon isn't taking it seriously, perhaps he has found over the years that if he acts really intense about the putt, takes 10 practice swings, and grunts when it lets it go he misses more than if he just goes up and says to himself "throw it in the basket" and does.

Other Top Pros that use a spin putt:
Nate Doss, Steve Rico, Michael Johansen, Eric McCabe, Eagle McMahon, Matt Orum, Tyler Horne, and others...

Ohn Scoggins has a really striking spin putt. She throws these line drives that seem like they're never going to fall out of the air.

Its simple really. A spin putt imparts its energy on a horizontal plane. The disc comes towards the body primarily, which loads the wrist and elbow, and then extends straight out toward the basket. Any veritical motion in the stroke is primarily for feel, it doesn't actually do much to the putt. A push putt stroke doesnt come into the body. The push putt stroke is veritical, the disc is drawn down toward the pelvis and then extended up toward the basket. The stroke itself doesn't load the wrist or elbow. The elbow strays straight and the arm moves like a pendulum. Any added spin comes from finger spring or a little wrist load, both of which are completely unrelated to the actual putting stroke.

Just want to join the crowd and say this was an excellent breakdown of the particulars. I had a breakthrough after reading this post. Thanks a ton dude.

Ohn Scoggins has a really striking spin putt. She throws these line drives that seem like they're never going to fall out of the air.

Totally. She seems to run everything with a full power spin putt. Think her inspiration is Steve Rico. She seems even more ballsy about always going for it, and not caring about having any touch on it. Another putter that seems that way to me: Max Nichols.

Looks great when it goes in, but really scary when it whiffs.

An actual "spush" putter would have to draw the disc both down and in and extend on both planes simultaneously. The only pro I can think of who actually does this is shuestrick, and I'm pretty sure nobody is studying his mechanics with the goal of emulating them. Trying to control two different planes of motion simultaneously is a terrible idea.

I did when I first started playing as his putting tutorial was the first one I saw. That was a mistake that took months to unlearn. <shudder>

I'm on a Ricky putting kick after watching PHP's latest.

Ricky doesn't count. When it comes to putting, he even makes McBe4st look like a slouch. If Ricky could get out of his own head, he'd be INCREDIBLE! But he has nerves. We're all 100x worse, but we're not playing as a top 5 world player. Wysocki is absolutely ridiculous! CRUSHES drives, masters forehands, is sick on approaches, and is one of (if not the) best putters in the world! The guy regularly cans 60"+!!! What the hell?!?

Still, his mental game is what hurts him. I'm a huge fan, but you can see it in his face, he defeats himself. (don't we all!)

Ricky doesn't count. When it comes to putting, he even makes McBe4st look like a slouch. If Ricky could get out of his own head, he'd be INCREDIBLE! But he has nerves. We're all 100x worse, but we're not playing as a top 5 world player. Wysocki is absolutely ridiculous! CRUSHES drives, masters forehands, is sick on approaches, and is one of (if not the) best putters in the world! The guy regularly cans 60"+!!! What the hell?!?

Still, his mental game is what hurts him. I'm a huge fan, but you can see it in his face, he defeats himself. (don't we all!)

I don't understand this post.

All right. Little over the top maybe, and I take issue with "When it comes to putting, he even makes McBe4st look like a slouch," but I'll just get over it.

Ricky and Paul are the top putters in the world, and they both hold their putters in the same unconventional way. Index on the outside rim, other three fingers spread out toward the middle of the disc.

Does anyone know where their pressure points are on this grip? I've always had my pinky against the inside rim and the joint of my index finger on the bead, and can't figure out how they are generating their smooth power with this grip...

Simon has a reputation for being one of the better pros at putting with wind, does he not? I think he's better than he's being given credit for in this thread.

Latest posts