• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simon's Vlog

It´s fun to see how good he is at throwing an OS mid on a slight Anhyzer and make it go straight. . .i can´t do that, i need a US to stable disc and throw it flat.

At one point he says something like " i´m not even taking out all the discs i´m alowed to every year"

just got me curious, how many discs CAN a pro like Simon take out every year?

. .in Pauls latest video it sounded like they said "You are Paul McBeth, so you can take as many disc as you like"

At one point he says something like " i´m not even taking out all the discs i´m alowed to every year"

just got me curious, how many discs CAN a pro like Simon take out every year?

. .in Pauls latest video it sounded like they said "You are Paul McBeth, so you can take as many disc as you like"

I'm sure they all have fixed allotments for each player based on their needs, and it probably varies from company to company and player to player. But honestly, how many discs should a player like Simon need per year? From watching some of that video, he doesn't appear to cycle discs too much. In other words, he throws certain discs for a long time rather than replace them every few weeks/months. He's also not a player that is hustling to sell discs online or at tournaments like some others do (which is one way a player might use their allotments to support themselves).

On the other hand, McBeth seems to cycle new discs into his bag quite often. He's not the type to have a "trusty" disc X that he's seasoned for a couple years and relies on for a certain type of shot. He's more the "I'm going to throw mold X here and it doesn't matter which one of the 10 of those I take out of the box today" type.

So Simon personally might only need 40-50 new discs over the course of the year to replace lost discs, have some new stuff to try, and have some extras for giveaways. Whereas McBeth might completely overhaul his regular bag every few weeks so might need 100+ discs over the course of the season.

It´s abit funny that he post a "this is all the disc i have" video. . .but just one day ago he posted a video where he throws 10pc of MD4 that he grabed out of a big box.. . . non of those where in the "all i have video" :)

And he did loose 3 MD4s in just that round. . thats more than i have lost in 20y of playing

I have heard that Paul changes to new putters every round or was it every tournament. . but still, if thats tru he will go throw a TON of Lunas in a year

It´s abit funny that he post a "this is all the disc i have" video. . .but just one day ago he posted a video where he throws 10pc of MD4 that he grabed out of a big box.. . . non of those where in the "all i have video" :)
I thought the same. ;-)

One probably has to differ between discs he calls his own, cares about, knows their story ... and stacks of practice tools to throw and not care about. The former are individuals the latter generics.

And he did loose 3 MD4s in just that round. . thats more than i have lost in 20y of playing

I have heard that Paul changes to new putters every round or was it every tournament. . but still, if thats tru he will go throw a TON of Lunas in a year

Was that box of MD4's part of his allotment?

Here, take this box of 100 MD4s and have at er

I vaguely remember an Innova pro saying they could take up to 400.

400!! Wow, that´s an insane amont of discs for a year of play. .

I understand if someone like Simon don´t feel the need to take THAT many discs even if it´s free.

I have around 300-400 disc and it feels like my apartment have laying just everywhere. .i even have 40disc in my sockdrawer

Its been stated already about Paul's putter usage. Whether he changes every round or every tournament, he definitely goes thru them fast. I bet he goes thru 400-500 putters a year when you factor that its 2 new putters every round/tourney plus the ones that may never see the course after a heavy practice sessions. Plus, he's also throwing them and I believe he uses a different one than he putts with, right?

Its been stated already about Paul's putter usage. Whether he changes every round or every tournament, he definitely goes thru them fast. I bet he goes thru 400-500 putters a year when you factor that its 2 new putters every round/tourney plus the ones that may never see the course after a heavy practice sessions. Plus, he's also throwing them and I believe he uses a different one than he putts with, right?

I wonder were all those "old" putters go? I know he said in his "innova days" that he was not allowed to give discs away. . or sell them

But Eagle and Simon gives a way a ton of discs. . so i guess they are allowed?

It seems like most players use the same set of putters and disc all season. . is Paul unique in the way he goes through disc ( manly putters ) ?

400!! Wow, that´s an insane amont of discs for a year of play. .

I understand if someone like Simon don´t feel the need to take THAT many discs even if it´s free.

I have around 300-400 disc and it feels like my apartment have laying just everywhere. .i even have 40disc in my sockdrawer

I would assume pros only take that many to sell. I've seen quite a lot of pros selling discs out of there cars at tournaments. It seems weird that they would have to buy them from their sponsor to sell them, but I have no idea.

I would assume pros only take that many to sell. I've seen quite a lot of pros selling discs out of there cars at tournaments. It seems weird that they would have to buy them from their sponsor to sell them, but I have no idea.

To my knowledge, the standard deal is that players are given an allotment of discs for free (#s dependent on the player/deal) for personal use and they're given wholesale or better pricing if they want discs to sell. Of course, higher level players can and probably do negotiate for other benefits or deals as far as discs for sale go. But in general, if they're selling discs on their own, it's an order they've paid for (or will pay for, depending on their deal).

To be clear, I'm not talking about signature series or tour series stuff that the manufacturers wholesale to retailers (e.g. Sexton Firebirds, Lucid/Opto-X lines, etc). Those the players are probably not paying for even if they're selling them for themselves on the road. But, say, the Sockibomb stamped stuff that Ricky sells on his website and on site at events...that's probably not stuff he gets for free.

To my knowledge, the standard deal is that players are given an allotment of discs for free (#s dependent on the player/deal) for personal use and they're given wholesale or better pricing if they want discs to sell. Of course, higher level players can and probably do negotiate for other benefits or deals as far as discs for sale go. But in general, if they're selling discs on their own, it's an order they've paid for (or will pay for, depending on their deal).

To be clear, I'm not talking about signature series or tour series stuff that the manufacturers wholesale to retailers (e.g. Sexton Firebirds, Lucid/Opto-X lines, etc). Those the players are probably not paying for even if they're selling them for themselves on the road. But, say, the Sockibomb stamped stuff that Ricky sells on his website and on site at events...that's probably not stuff he gets for free.

That's interesting. I never thought about having the players pay for the discs after they sell them. That makes the most sense since a player doesn't have to incur the risk of purchasing too many and not being able to sell them.

A manufacturer could give a player 200 discs at the start of a season and tell them they will take $1,000 out of their final check of the year for the discs ($5 per disc). They tell the player they can sell them and keep the profit for gas money, and at the end of the year they can turn in any remaining ones to reduce the price they will be charged for the discs. At end of year, they turn in the 50 they haven't sold to reduce the charge to $750. They received extra cash here and there on the road, the manufacturer hasn't lost any money (presuming they charge the player at cost), and that manufacturer's discs are being put in the hands of the public. Win win.

That's interesting. I never thought about having the players pay for the discs after they sell them. That makes the most sense since a player doesn't have to incur the risk of purchasing too many and not being able to sell them.

A manufacturer could give a player 200 discs at the start of a season and tell them they will take $1,000 out of their final check of the year for the discs ($5 per disc). They tell the player they can sell them and keep the profit for gas money, and at the end of the year they can turn in any remaining ones to reduce the price they will be charged for the discs. At end of year, they turn in the 50 they haven't sold to reduce the charge to $750. They received extra cash here and there on the road, the manufacturer hasn't lost any money (presuming they charge the player at cost), and that manufacturer's discs are being put in the hands of the public. Win win.

We're talking what... an extra 1000 or so net...for the entire year? I'm guessing that deal wouldn't interest most players due to the hustling involved to move them.

We're talking what... an extra 1000 or so net...for the entire year? I'm guessing that deal wouldn't interest most players due to the hustling involved to move them.

I've seen Paige Pierce have a table set up outside her van with discs and swag for people to buy. There are other pros that do the same. You get to meet fans, hang out with your friends, and make some gas money.

When you're living out of a van and trying to make ends meet, an extra $1,000 or so could come in handy. I wouldn't call setting up a card table, setting a box of discs on it, and kicking back in a lawn chair "hustling".

Latest posts