• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simon's Vlog

I think this was the exakt thing he was after. . . . they talked about having LOTS of sand of fairway so runups would be hard. . but that would cost to much for Discgolf

also wouldn't allow for a lot of contouring like we see with the fairways on traditional disc golf courses. It would have to be a ton of sand traps which takes away from the elevation changes I'd like to see more of

Not sure what Simon's take was, but Jen Allen seems to have gone to throwing every fairway shot standstill, at least at OTB. It certainly would be a disadvantage, but I don't know how much it would actually separate the scores of people who went OB and those who didn't.

It would be great if we somehow could replicate the kind of challenge offered by a fairway bunker in ball golf via a rules based penalty area, but I'm not sure how possible that is.

Random bad idea, make everyone throw a Stego from this new "bunker area".

There's a tournament (LVC????) where it is played on a ball golf course and the sand traps are hazards (one throw penalty and play from the lie). I recall players having to throw standstill as the sand made runups hazardous. At the recent OTB, Anthony Barella rolled his ankle on a gopher mound....think what it would be like for players if there was lots of sand...even just lots of sand traps. We'd see lots more injuries. Of course, we'd also see lots more standstill throws.

There's a tournament (LVC????) where it is played on a ball golf course and the sand traps are hazards (one throw penalty and play from the lie). I recall players having to throw standstill as the sand made runups hazardous. At the recent OTB, Anthony Barella rolled his ankle on a gopher mound....think what it would be like for players if there was lots of sand...even just lots of sand traps. We'd see lots more injuries. Of course, we'd also see lots more standstill throws.

AB rolled his ankle landing after a jump putt, really not applicable.

There are quite a number of tournaments where areas of the course have high grass which impedes or prevents run-up. Mildly dense forest growth prevents run-up. Again, Jen Allen chose to throw without run-up on every single shot other than the tee at OTB (who knows, maybe that was due to the gopher holes) and still made lead card.

The big question is whether this creates the kind of punishment that turns a wide-open area defined only by lines on the ground into something that provides adequate challenge to pro-level players, and I'm skeptical of that.

Simon's observation about so many kids on the course in Finland is also pretty interesting.

His latest Vlog. . Eagle throw FH again!! maybe a result of not geeing Vegan anymore ;)

His latest Vlog. . Eagle throw FH again!! maybe a result of not geeing Vegan anymore ;)

Well, I didn't see him throwing a forehand longer than about 300'. That's kind of like the equivalent of me throwing one 120'. I'd guess he still isn't juicing them out to 450'. Hopefully his new diet (and continued caution and/or rehab) will get him back to his old form before next season.

Well, I didn't see him throwing a forehand longer than about 300'. That's kind of like the equivalent of me throwing one 120'. I'd guess he still isn't juicing them out to 450'. Hopefully his new diet (and continued caution and/or rehab) will get him back to his old form before next season.

True, but just the fact he is willing to throw them is positive. Simon essentially seems permanently done throwing forehands for instance. Cannot recall seeing him throw one in the last 2 years other than short approaches. That kid seemed like the real deal--flat out beat them both on a few holes...parked a 450' hole. He is 14. Dang...

That kid seemed like the real deal--flat out beat them both on a few holes...parked a 450' hole. He is 14. Dang...

I got carded up with the MJ18 kids during a tournament earlier this year. Funny enough it was at the same course in the video above. Two of those kids were like 15 years old and were just crushing their drives. Probably throwing 450'.

True, but just the fact he is willing to throw them is positive. Simon essentially seems permanently done throwing forehands for instance. Cannot recall seeing him throw one in the last 2 years other than short approaches. That kid seemed like the real deal--flat out beat them both on a few holes...parked a 450' hole. He is 14. Dang...

Well, I guess you haven't been watching too closely then. I'm pretty sure he threw a forehand or two off the tee in every tournament I saw him play this year, aside from maybe OTB.

Well, I guess you haven't been watching too closely then. I'm pretty sure he threw a forehand or two off the tee in every tournament I saw him play this year, aside from maybe OTB.

Agreed, I feel like his improvement in his forehand swing did just as much to contribute to his wins this year, as his mental game improvement. I especially remember him flicking the Eagle Face disc extremely well.

I was also surprised to see Simon throwing quite a few forehands. Definitely seemed to be throwing them more than I remembered him throwing them in the past.

Guess I missed those. Haven't watched AS much this year. Will keep an eye on his FH going forward. :)

3x Lizottes in one video. .

That putt at 25:29 might be the shortest but coolest putts Simon has made, dont know HOW he made it, i HAVE to try that

That putt at 25:29 might be the shortest but coolest putts Simon has made, dont know HOW he made it, i HAVE to try that

It's like a Tony Hawk game.

Simon Lizotte's Pro Disc Golfer