• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simon's Vlog

Thinking back, it seems he lost most of his strokes by flying 30+ past the basket.
A nose-up, flat-trajectory spin putt has a lot going for it, not the least is that the disc will go far with little effort.
OTOH, you'd better hit something, cause with his nose-up, flat-trajectory spin putt, an 'air-ball' is the same as 'air mail'.

A LOT of those strokes could have been prevented with a less 'glidey' neutral or nose-down spin putt, but then it wouldn't be "Simon doing Simon things" - CCDG

His putting game is really, really good tho

Simon is killing the vlog game.

The thing about him is, you can't just change his game, or it wouldn't be him. If you tried to police his risk strategy, basically what you'd be saying is, "I just want you for your physical skillset" and if you managed a brand like that you'd lose a player like Simon very quickly to another company.

Simon plays 100% authentically. He's not making payday and percentage calculations on shots like Sexton, and he's not motivated by trying to be seen as the best ever, a la McBeth. Simon is guided more by the emotion than the data, which is what endears him to so many, while simultaneously confusing others.

The point is, the seemingly-logical standpoint that says, "If he just played this way instead of that" will not make him better. It will make him quit.

The thing about him is, you can't just change his game, or it wouldn't be him. If you tried to police his risk strategy, basically what you'd be saying is, "I just want you for your physical skillset" and if you managed a brand like that you'd lose a player like Simon very quickly to another company.

Simon plays 100% authentically. He's not making payday and percentage calculations on shots like Sexton, and he's not motivated by trying to be seen as the best ever, a la McBeth. Simon is guided more by the emotion than the data, which is what endears him to so many, while simultaneously confusing others.

The point is, the seemingly-logical standpoint that says, "If he just played this way instead of that" will not make him better. It will make him quit.

I love that about him. He seems like a guy who just truly loves disc golf. And his vlogs are awesome. Talk about a fun, down to earth guy. Can you imagine a better person to bump into on a course? I watched one of his newer videos on our TV the other day and my 4 year old from the other room goes "is that Simon? I like watching Simon!" And came running out to watch.

The only time I can remember having a legit emotional reaction to a missed putt was Simon's miss at Throw Down the Mountain. He crushed that drive and wanted the putt so bad. I really felt for him.

I don't think you would really have to "change" him to see improvement. Just keep him focused on the "easier" holes/putts and let him do his thing otherwise. As that vid shows, he sometimes drops a lot of shots in bunches and not necessarily on the harder holes. That hole at Jonesboro(I think) where he said he went bogey, double, triple comes to mind. Is it boredom, or just a natural tendency of people to lose focus a bit when the difficulty comes down slightly?

… and besides, he likes to have fun and thrill the crowd, right? What's more fun and entertaining than winning?;)

Last edited:

I tend to agree with this. I used to think Simon wanted to be the best player in the world and dominate the sport. After all he has been playing his entire life. But I think now as he approaches his 30s, he's content being a "sometimes stellar player", "sometimes trick shot master", "sometimes vlog guru". Some people just don't have the inner drive or can handle the pressure to even attempt to be the best. I would also guess Jussi has long term plans for Simon on the business end too.

Never thought i would se Paul throw Discmania or Simon throw Discraft. . or that they even were allowed to do this

fun video :)

What course was that? Looks vaguely familiar.

Never thought i would se Paul throw Discmania or Simon throw Discraft. . or that they even were allowed to do this

I thought it was a touch unfair. I imagine Paul has thrown some Discmania in the past...it was available to him when he was with Innova. Meanwhile Simon has probably not thrown anything Discraft ever.

Entertaining video though. Seems like a fun concept Jomez or some other media company could get involved with.

I went back a few pages and couldn't figure out which video this quote is referring to. Help please.

Thanks.

Latest posts