• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simpler bag

wadpe

Par Member
How long have I played? About 4 months.
How long are my drives? 200f consistently +300f at best.
Style: mostly RHBH
Strengths: walking upshots, hyzers.
Need of improvement: backhand drives obviously, forehands (200f barely), anhyzers, maybe upsidedowns.

I want to ditch fast drivers for now and just accept the fact that my strength does not really meet 350f on flat, so I want to just want to focus on accuracy and clean releases.

Putts:

Dline P1 172

Dx Aviar3 - Just upshots. Very easy can almost aim at the basket and it goes straight.

Aurora MS 171 straight upshots

Ch Roc3 175 more distance more trustworthy with hyzer finish, can throw this 300 and it still handels that

Sline FD 170 just straight and easy, to replace my cline one

Ch Teebird - more stable but I cant really flip this yet so it has room for improvement

Star Valkyrie 175 - best in hand for a bit more distance.

DX sidewinder - For steep turnovers or touchy tunnel shots. Rather flippy.

Ch Firebird - just for special 200f upside downs and other tricks.

Yeah thats about it, if I am missing something please recommend me any brand.

That actually looks pretty solid. Stick with that for a while and see where it goes!

One note, champ teebirds can be really beefy. I've tried several and I just never liked them. Personally I think Star is better for teebirds, at least for me that have better glide and don't just dump out. I wouldn't worry about not seeing turn out of that teebird.

Yes I never really intend to turn the teebird, it's more like a hyzer disc that I can ensure it will finish left. I have tried my friend's Star teebird3 and it feels way better in hand (it's different mold but still) but it is because I prefer star over champion plastic. I don't really notice much difference in stability between those plastics even if someone will.

Weirdly I used to think that the champion was the plastic to go and always were wondering what the star was about. Maybe the only star disc I had seen was a white star destroyer and it resembled a dline midrange I had so it didn't appeal to me. But you must try everything before judging.

Something seems odd, or else there is a typo;

How is it you drive between 200 and 300 at best yet throw your Roc3 300?

I would drop everything south of the FD on your list. If you're only throwing 200' consistently, you don't even need the FD. The wider the rim gets the more form flaws it hides, even in understable drivers like the Valk and Sidewinder, and I feel like you should be able to see the same distances from the MS as you do the drivers. The only reason I'm keeping the FD is that mids are more intolerant of nose angle issues than drivers.

There's nothing wrong with the drivers in your bag. As a newer player, you're at least going after understable molds. They just aren't going to help you much right now. And if your TeeBird "flips for you" in the next three years with solid use, it's not the disc. It's your form.

I'd say keep:

P1
AviarX3

Roc3

FD
Teebird

That should cover all of your shots until you're pushing out farther.

I need to correct few things. I can throw about 280f consistently if I am throwing good, sometimes I just feel that I have bad timing and make all sorts of errors.

I can throw mids about 200f and putters almost as far. I can throw roc3 ocasionally almost 300f but it has to be my hardest shot, and with that throw a driver would probably go over 300. Sorry to be kind of missleading here.

I really liked the FD today when I tried it, very easy to throw. I also loved teebird, it goes really straight but with some predictable fade. I feel that even valkyrie is too fast for me, maybe it will turn if I throw hard just right. Sidewinder is rather flippy so it is really sensitive for going right or left.

Conclusion: I hate my armspeed, I love my close game.

Being in love with your short game is the best way to score in disc golf. Since you have that base, I'd just work on pushing the mids and fairways out further over time.

FD + Teebird is a good driver setup for newer players. I've been playing with such a setup (actually worn-in DX Teebird + Champ Teebird) for 1.5 years. It provided all shots I needed (and was able to perform).

Like in your case, my shorter game is quite good, but I'm driving just about 300' (90m) with my Teebirds. In consequence, I simply focus on playing shorter courses. ;-)

Anyway: Fun is what matters!

Yes having fun is actually the way to improve or at least come with ideas how to get better. I hope you are having as much fun as I have on tje course, people are more than often nice on the tees.

I assume you are using a worn dx Teebird for less stable disc which would make sense. I might consider dline FD because they have nice subtle turn when worn, which is what I have been looking for. Anyway I am currently happy with my bag, the speed is on good range and there is room for improvement when it comes to driving. I found out that having good running shoes improves throwing, my feet are a bit weak so they start to hurt with bad shoes.

I have like every disc that I would imagine for different situations, but half of them are too much of a disc or I don't just prefer them. I hope they will start to work better if I ever get my shot more speed. But thanks for advices guys and keep having fun :D