• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ski Hill Courses....be honest

Played Hickory Hills a couple weeks ago and loved it. I wouldn't call it an open mountain, even the big bomber shots had trees lining the fairway. Most of the holes on the actual ski runs were sheltered by trees, and on the day I played it wind was a non factor. The whole course created a really neat feeling of adventure. To be honest I feel like some of the old ski equipment added to the ambiance.

I live in the Chicago land area and the elevation on a lot of the Michigan courses is just fantastic.

Just played IUP College Lodge today. I live about an hour from there and I try to get out at least once a month (sometimes weekly in the fall). The trip, which feels more like two hours, is totally worth it every time. What I enjoy about the course is that it doesn't exclusively rely on the hills, but rather incorporates them into a memorable downhill end for the front and back nines. Challenging technical holes add balance to the open elevation shots. Also, even though College Lodge is seasonal, it doesn't feel as temporary as other ski courses I've played (Wisp Deep Creek and Seven Springs).

On a side note that adds to my love for College Lodge, I birdied #18 for the first time, thanks to a nice hyzer flip that went forever. Man that course is fun!

Huh????

I would like to start a honest dialogue about courses that are set on ski hills. It's happening more and more now that global warming has shortened winters and ski hill owners are scrambling to pull year round cash. I have a lot of opinions about ski hill golf that I don't think the majority will agree with. I really don't care for it :thmbdown: I really would like to hear some others opinions about what they enjoy about these courses and what they don't like...I would like a real discussion and not just "I love this course or that course...tell me what you don't like or like and back it up. Thanks to serious posters in advance.

Just wondered where you live. Last winter was one of the coldest in something like 100 years. Almost ALL the scientists involved in the global warming scam were caught falsifying data, or hiding data to forward their political aganda, AND obtain government grants illegally. And on top of all that, even the lying, stealing scientists agree the globe has cooled since 1999.

As for the real question of your post. I have no clue. Never played one. Just didn't want a false premise out there floating around the internet. No need to thank me, just doing my part.

Just wondered where you live. Last winter was one of the coldest in something like 100 years. Almost ALL the scientists involved in the global warming scam were caught falsifying data, or hiding data to forward their political aganda, AND obtain government grants illegally. And on top of all that, even the lying, stealing scientists agree the globe has cooled since 1999.

As for the real question of your post. I have no clue. Never played one. Just didn't want a false premise out there floating around the internet. No need to thank me, just doing my part.

I never knew Glen Beck was a disc golfer...seriously though it's been a strategy for years around east coast ski hills to attempt to increase off season revenue through a plethora of activities. The fact is the ski seasons have been shorter and shorter over the past 30 yrs. Ski Hill operators will continue to search for ways to increase revenue during off seasons.....global warming or not...but since the shortened ski seasons the last 20 yrs have seen many increased summer strategies employed by east coast ski hills.

I have played Solutide ski resort in Utah years ago, IUP once and Blue Mtn in PA 3 times in the past year and love ski disc golf courses. I'm tired of hitting trees (especially off the tees) and can enjoy my disc in the air such a long time if I throw it well. I also ski at Blue Mtn and the Paradise trail is my favorite since I'm still not a great skier and this just happens to be where most of the disc golf course is! So I love DG at Blue!

I'll bet Glenn Beck couldn't DG to save his life. Doesn't lookk all that coordinated.

Original question. I haven't played one, but it sounds like it would be cool. I plan on hitting a little 9-holer on whiteface Mountain in NY next week. I'll chime back in after that. It's supposedly built around the ski areas somehow.

Sipapu in NM is an excellent ski resort course with nice flat rubber tees and excellent baskets with rec, advanced and pro tees for every hole (20 holes).

Opti,

Have to agree with you; ski hills are NOT the bomb (re: dgc) that they're supposed to be.
JMO.

Karl

Ski hills are like British ball golf. They are, and forever will be, an entirely different beast, akin to tennis on clay, grass, etc.

I have played Elm Creek in Maple Grove, MN, loved it, and Mont Du Lac in Superior WI, which may be my favorite course. Lager set it up as an homage to the holes in the Twin Cities that he loves and misses. Most of the holes travel through the woods behind the ski hill, which may or may not make it a true ski hill course. I am ashamed that I have not yet had the chance to play hyland hills in Bloomington, MN, but someday, someday.

I understand those who don't like to play ski hills. I like to play my DG early in the morning, void of most wind. We all have our preferences, favorite courses, favorite discs, etc. so let's all agree that ski hill courses do and will remain to have their place for disc golfers.

Only played one slope so far: Ski Sunrise in Wrightwood CA. Its designed by a professional (Dave Dunipace), so, you know. It's good ;)

Hah but in all seriousness, it hardly ever throws up or down an actual ski slope. Most of the course is in the woods and that makes it pretty cool. Sure, we spent a lot of time looking for discs in brush, but that was to be expected. There is only ONE crazy long epic downhill, and that's really all the course needs. Otherwise, its all professional.

I will be checking out a couple more this summer, at the very least:

Jackson Hole Ski Area (only a 10 hole, but I hear its pretty good)
Grand Targhee Resort. I hear this one is fairly short and flat when compared to other slope courses.

I think Mt. Baldy in Southern California can build an AWESOME course in their notch area. It's relatively flat but has some fantastic sloping features. I emailed them a pretty professional letter but they never responded. I emailed them a pretty un-professional letter about them charging $50 for mountain biking this summer, which is crazy because even REAL resorts charge less than 35. But thats a different issue, and they never responded to that one, either.

Anyway the point is, if they just put tee pads and baskets up and down the runs, well sure. The course will suck. If its been fine tuned by, say, Dave Dunipace, you might have something to write home about.

Check out rating if most mountain disc golf courses...thy are fairly high. I've played solitude and it is great atmosphere for disc golf. Sorry if you don't like tons of elevation change, being on an uncrowded course and taking a lift up to play down but I think it is great. It's all about the adventure

I played a ski hill course in NJ a couple of times. I'll never forget throwing this picture perfect FH shot with my Reaper down the side of the mtn on some 2,000 foot hole or something ridiculous like that....and then never being able to find it.

While I did enjoy that course and had some really fun shots on it, it was obviously tough to maintain and long grass plus long downhill hole = losing your favorite disc.

on the flip side, that course was the first course I took one of my buddies to and introduced him to the game...the next course I took him to, he thought was boring and wanted to play the ski hill course again:)

Almost ALL the scientists huh? Funny how this grand conspiracy within the scientific community in order to defraud public funds has never been reported in any news outlet. ALL the scientists??

Oh you're talking about that ONE email that has been investigated 3 times and there is another investigation under way. Currently, there has been no evidence of any wrongdoing.

Learn the facts before you pop off junior;)

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/04/some-climategate-conclusions/

Ski Hills are great places to loose discs as has been mentioned. I lost three discs in one round at Solitude, two of them on one hole. I still think they are some of the most challenging courses though and really enjoy them from that perspective. They are also going to have some of the most severe elevation changes that you will find anywhere. It is not bad or good, just different and a new challenge.

I will be checking out a couple more this summer, at the very least:

Jackson Hole Ski Area (only a 10 hole, but I hear its pretty good)

i'm gonna be there at the end of july. can't wait to check out that course! when will you be there?

Ski Hills are great places to loose discs as has been mentioned. I lost three discs in one round at Solitude, two of them on one hole. I still think they are some of the most challenging courses though and really enjoy them from that perspective. They are also going to have some of the most severe elevation changes that you will find anywhere. It is not bad or good, just different and a new challenge.

Solitude took one of my discs about a mile high in a tree from elevated tee box, they mostly eat discs because of overgrowth but there are a few cliffs i wouldnt go down to get discs if i over threw the basket.

*backflip* So right you can say it twice.

For a moment there, I was worried everyone on this site had the politics of Frank.

I've only had the chance to play two, Mt. Hood Skibowl and Mt. Bachelor.

Mt. Hood was not all that fantastic. But it did afford some amazing views of Hood and there were a couple of fun holes.

Bachelor, on the other hand, is pretty sweet, so long as you don't mind throwing your discs onto lava rock. The design is really fun and quite varied, being more open, thus exposed to the ever-present wind at the beginning and end of the round, and more in the trees during the middle.

True, it is a work-out.

True, the wind will amplify any mistakes in your throw.

True, you will spend some time looking for discs if you don't pay attention to where it went...

But if you love elevation change, you can't beat a 1500' loss from start to end..

Blue Mt drops 1000 feet I can't imagine 1500 ft!!!

But if you love elevation change, you can't beat a 1500' loss from start to end..

Latest posts