• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sleeves for basket in yard?

PVC is the way to go. Cement the pvc and a chain close enough together to LOCK IT UP! Then I'd say drill a couple of holes in the bottom pole for the lock. That being said you can take apart a sport catcher in NO time. Wake up one morning and all you have left is a pole sticking out of the ground.

make sure if you do decide to do sleeves to make yourself a shovel to dig out stuff that may get packed into the sleeve. an old, sturdy spoon taped to a slender piece of wood should work

make sure if you do decide to do sleeves to make yourself a shovel to dig out stuff that may get packed into the sleeve. an old, sturdy spoon taped to a slender piece of wood should work

Or you can get a thinner piece of pvc and a cap to slide in when you arent using that sleeve.

Having dug up a number of various kinds of posts over the years that were installed using the dry concrete + poured water technique, I'm not a fan of that at all. Much better to mix the concrete properly and pour it in....much better. The dry method like that ends up with voids (dry powder) and has a tendency to either split or rot. Depending on the soil type, the anchor can fall apart in as little as a year. 36" is pretty dang deep for frostline, too...! Around here I think it's 14" and in many places code only requires 18"-24".

Agree, pour concrete, mix water, pour concrete, mix water... also 100-160 lbs of concrete is a bit excessive for a back yard basket holder 36" deep is crazy. Typical baskets (Discatchers) are designed to be set 18" deep no sleeve. The sleeve is 24" long so that goes an extra 6" down. (that is with the stock pole from Innova)

Just get a piece of PVC with an end cap and slide that down into the sleeve when not in use. $2 solution to your rainwater mud/leaf litter clogging problems.

Why waste your time digging and adding concrete? I have been doing this at my houses since I started playing. Get some pipe, a sledge hammer and a 2x4. Put the 2x4 on the pipe and pound it into the ground about a foot. Pull it out and knock the dirt out of it. Keep doing it until the sleeve is all the way in. Put the basket into the sleeve. Unless you are doing tackle drills on it the basket won't fall over. I actually use sleeves and put a padlock on it to deter any theft.

Agree, pour concrete, mix water, pour concrete, mix water... also 100-160 lbs of concrete is a bit excessive for a back yard basket holder 36" deep is crazy. Typical baskets (Discatchers) are designed to be set 18" deep no sleeve. The sleeve is 24" long so that goes an extra 6" down. (that is with the stock pole from Innova)

24" is pretty standard. When the mowers run over them at the park I hook my truck up to the concrete ball and yank them out of the ground. I knock the concrete off of them and weld a new tab to the other end of the sleeve and reset it. I do some of these a few times and eventually i'm forced to cut some of the sleeves down. It's nice that they have extra material.

must be nice to live down south, the building inspectors in pa would have your butt

must be nice to live down south, the building inspectors in pa would have your butt

We arent talking about making a house/deck... we are talking about setting a disc golf basket/sleeve in someones back yard. To my knowledge you do not need a permit to do this.

Lol, just like im not digging a tee pad in 24" like I would a footing/concrete house slab. (or what ever the code is.

One other option is to cement the sleeve in a 5 galon bucket. Then if you want to put it into the ground, just dig a hole large enough for the bucket. It'll be easy to dig it up later if you want to relocate it. no need for mulitple sleeves.
(I believe this is what the Blockhouse does but could be wrong)

We arent talking about making a house/deck... we are talking about setting a disc golf basket/sleeve in someones back yard. To my knowledge you do not need a permit to do this.

Lol, just like im not digging a tee pad in 24" like I would a footing/concrete house slab. (or what ever the code is.

Still might want to call miss utility. :\

Still might want to call miss utility. :\

Word...don't electricute yourself....

Isnt just digging a bucket sized hole the same thing as digging a hole large enough to fit a bucket? -having to worry about whether the whole bucket sleeve system is level.

What could be neat, but way over engineered... dig a hole, place a bucket in it (level). Pour crete around the bucket. Pull the bucket out. Pour crete in the bucket and place sleeve level in bucket. Let all harden. Remove bucket from sleeve crete combo.... now you have a really sturdy plug. Would only cost you $8 in crete for new locations vs $30 for a sleeve or more than that for pipe... <-- but don't do this... there are better options elsewhere in the thread. I just hadn't heard the idea yet.

Or you can get a thinner piece of pvc and a cap to slide in when you arent using that sleeve.

i'm used to rigging them to stop buttf*cks from having anything they can possibly steal/take off and throw into the woods for fun

also make sure to call before you dig, so you don't hit any underground lines

i'm used to rigging them to stop buttf*cks from having anything they can possibly steal/take off and throw into the woods for fun

also make sure to call before you dig, so you don't hit any underground lines

LOL! But not really...more like want to strangle them.... WHY DO THEY DO THAT!!! Pull the thing out of the ground just to throw it in the woods 2 holes later... When I made bailey, some jerk pulled up 7 holes in a row worth of tee marking stakes and left them in a neat pile next to the 8th hole... never pulled them again. If you put up flagging tape to mark something "they" will pull it down. If you make benches, they will write on them, signs, if they can get their fingers underneath...they will try to tear them off. If you make it look like you are trying to stop someone from stealing they will try even harder. The higher I place a mando sign, the more often it will get pulled down..."for the challenge" If I put it at head level it almost never gets touched.... jerks.

LOL! But not really...more like want to strangle them.... WHY DO THEY DO THAT!!! Pull the thing out of the ground just to throw it in the woods 2 holes later... When I made bailey, some jerk pulled up 7 holes in a row worth of tee marking stakes and left them in a neat pile next to the 8th hole... never pulled them again. If you put up flagging tape to mark something "they" will pull it down. If you make benches, they will write on them, signs, if they can get their fingers underneath...they will try to tear them off. If you make it look like you are trying to stop someone from stealing they will try even harder. The higher I place a mando sign, the more often it will get pulled down..."for the challenge" If I put it at head level it almost never gets touched.... jerks.

dig a few of these and cover them in sticks and leaves

2.1292966600.punji-stakes-at-cu-chi.jpg

i might be missing something... the pole on a discatcher sport not long enough to be placed in the ground unless you want the basket to be 2' off the ground. did you replace the pole?

With the exception of the panhandle and south plains (northwest Texas), the freeze line is only 6 inches deep in Texas. 18 inches deep is plenty for a secure base. I live on top of the escarpment, a huge rock formation that lays northeast to southwest from Rockwall to San Antonio. (Dallas, Waco and Austin are on the escarpment). The rock is only 18 inches under my home, so you can't dig any deeper than 18 inches in some places without removing rock.

Latest posts