• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slight weight change a big deal?

dasteve003

I am replacing a champion road runner that I've Aced with twice (don't wanna lose it) and want to get another one just like it.

It is a 165 grams. Is going down or up 1 or 2 grams going to affect much of anything in how I expect the disc to fly and such or will I notice such a small difference. I did notice I was able to through the 165 farther than then 175 that I lost of the same make and model. Any info would be appreciated as I'm still pretty new to the sport, thanks!

Going 1-2 grams isn't going to do much. 5+ grams you'll probably see a difference.

The thing is, the number stamped or written on your disc might not be what it actually weighs.

I've not noticed a slight weight (< 2-3 g) change. Mold variation, wear, etc will have more impact than a few grams. For some of us just the throw to throw inconsistency masks a lot. :gross: :eek:

The thing is, the number stamped or written on your disc might not be what it actually weighs.

QFT

Marshall Street weighs all of their stock. I like them a lot. I also bought a cheap digi scale on eBay to check discs I get anywhere else.

Going 1-2 grams isn't going to do much. 5+ grams you'll probably see a difference.

This. My favorite local shop also weighs all their discs and will oven be off by 4-5 grams, sometimes up to 10g! They got the new 2015 mold of the Prodigy M1 (truly overstable instead of the original M1 which was just straight with some fade) and all of them were over legal weight by 1-2g, even though they were penned at 180g. The Trilogy were even worse. Many up around 5g off the MOLDED in number!

Ditto what the other folks have said above, espeically Knice:

Mold variation, wear, etc will have more impact than a few grams.

Even if you got a new disc that was exactly the same scale weight, it wouldn't fly just like the one you're retiring. It will take some breaking in to get the flight you're expecting (especially in champ plastic).

Another option would be to look for a used roadrunner that's worn in the same amount as your favorite one. It might be tough to find exactly the condition you're looking for, but it would definitely be cheaper!

Thanks for the advice, I was able to get my hands on a digital scale and the disc weighs 166.0 grams but is penned at 165. I found one I like a lot and it's penned at 163 so I think I might go for it as I haven't found anything else closer to the color/foil/weight I want yet.

Latest posts