• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slimming down the bag during winter break

Enrico

Par Member
Hi, here in Finland it gets quite cold, dark and snowy during the wintertime so instead of playing I have been doing some fine tuning to my bag. Our club got an amazing deal on Grip bags so I decided to ditch my Prodiscus 30+ that I've been carrying for years and switch to AX3. I've been carrying A LOT of discs in my Prodiscus because... well, I could. AX3 isn't by no means a small bag, but I've been planning not to stuff it full. Ideal situation would be 20-22 discs total.

So I have been planning my new setup for a while now and because I can't (or I'm not willing to) go to the course and test it out I was wondering if you guys could take a look and tell me what you see.

Some background info: I've been playing for 7 years and I throw RHBH and RHFH. I prefer to throw FH whenever I can. Golf distances are 360ft RHBH and 400+ RHFH. I throw every disc BH and FH except Zones and Berg. Zones are FH only and Berg is BH only.

Bag:

Drivers:

172 Z Crank, understable distance, mainly FH
175 EchoStar XCaliber, OS distance
175 Star Wraith, for stable distance
175 Star Wraith, beat up for understable distance, more controllable than Crank.

175 Star Roadrunner, extra flippy
175 Glow C-CD2, straight to slightly understable
175 Champion Firebird, flat top
175 Champion Eagle, flat top. Less beef than Firebird
172 Champion Eagle, PFN. Very straight.
172 Champion Eagle-L, beat up, understable

Mids:

176 ESP Wasp, quite stable
177 Elite-X Wasp, straighter than ESP
177 Big Z Buzzz, straighter than Elite-X Wasp
177 Elite Z Buzzz, straight to understable
177 Elite Z Buzzz SS, understable

Putters:

175 ESP Zone, quite overstable
176 Jawbreaker Zone, straight to fade, wont turn
175 K2 Berg, very stable and doesn't want to fly
175 K1 Reko, straight drives
175 DX Aviar, beat to hell, my first disc. Understable drives.
175 K3 Reko, putting duties, usually carry two

So 22 discs now. Any overlapping? Something missing? I use my Zones as an overstable mid, I used to carry Flat Top Gators but I rarely used them so I decided to drop them.

22 discs is slimming down?

I bag a lot of the same discs, have dropped the wasp and going with glo buzzz, ti flx buzzz ss and ti zone for mids. Also throw bergs in k1 and k3. I'm personally trying to minimize disc selection and can keep it at 18 without a backup putting putter. Also bagging 3 wraiths of various stability for max distance.

Is the x caliber an OS pig? I throw FH quite a bit and been pondering a higher speed disc I can really rip on.

22 discs is slimming down?

I bag a lot of the same discs, have dropped the wasp and going with glo buzzz, ti flx buzzz ss and ti zone for mids. Also throw bergs in k1 and k3. I'm personally trying to minimize disc selection and can keep it at 18 without a backup putting putter. Also bagging 3 wraiths of various stability for max distance.

Is the x caliber an OS pig? I throw FH quite a bit and been pondering a higher speed disc I can really rip on.

Ha, yeah I guess you can count it as slimming down. I used to carry about 30.

XCal is quite OS, it won't turn on you but occasionally it may fly too straight and too far if you throw it downhill or headwind.

UPDATE

My bag for the season is ready. It is a bit more simple now, I really like it. I decided to ditch Cranks and now the fastest disc in my bag is the XCal. Still quite a lot of discs but less molds.

Drivers

175 EchoStar XCaliber, very overstable
175 Champion Wraith, overstable
175 Star Wraith, stable
175 Star Wraith, slightly understable
175 EchoStar Wraith, understable
175 Glow C-CD2, right inbetween my slightly understable Star Wraith and Star Eagle

175 CS Champion Eagle, very beefy
172 Champion Eagle, stable
175 Star Eagle, less stable
172 Champion Eagle-L, very understable

Mids

177 Elite-X Wasp, stable to overstable
177 Titanium Buzzz, stable/straight
177 Titanium Buzzz, stable to understable
176 Z Buzzz SS, understable but comes back
177 Z Buzzz SS, understable, doesn't come back

Putters

175 LW ESP Zone
175 Skygod C-P2
175 S-P1x, nice and straight, no fade
175 D-P1x, beat up for driving
175 D-P1x, for putting

So 20 discs now, 10 different molds. I might ditch CD2 if it overlaps Eagles too much. Also if it gets really windy I might add 400 A2.

I'm assuming that's a Z Wasp, not a X Wasp? You don't have much to work with on the extremes of the stability scale but if you FH and BH equally you might not miss them. Always good to see an Eagle thrower. :) That's a bag full of tried and true molds, looks good.

I'm assuming that's a Z Wasp, not a X Wasp? You don't have much to work with on the extremes of the stability scale but if you FH and BH equally you might not miss them. Always good to see an Eagle thrower. :) That's a bag full of tried and true molds, looks good.

Nope, that's a X Wasp. I like Wasps but I don't like them in Z plastic for some reason. I have a stash of X's and ESP's but (at least now) I like X's more.

I used to have a truly OS mids but I rarely used them since I could do the same with Zones. I also used to bag Firebirds and Roadrunners, but I feel like my beefiest Eagle (super flat and stiff) could do the same as Firebird and my most understable Eagle could do the same as Roadrunner.

And yeah, I love my Eagles. Too bad that new Champs are nowhere near as good as those old opaque ones.

I wish. Circle Stamp is what I meant.

DX Full Circle is nice and they say Extra long range Diver. My dad had has one of DX CS Eagles as well as a newer Pre flight numbers disc and a 2000's Champion version. I do not think my dad has besides the T-Rex in DX and Star a long range driver, he never used a distance Disc until the T-Rex came out. Now if I got him same disc I would need to look on the Innova Factory Store to find the disc period.

Latest posts