• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slippery teepads

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
and bad footing in general, is my #1 hate when playing. If I don't have confidence that my lead foot will stay where I plant it, it messes up everything.

Rubber tee pads should be abolished. Between the clumps of mowed grass on them, and dew that soaks your feet, they are crazy slippery if you try to play a morning round.

Rant over.

There are some rubber pads that are better than concrete when wet, and some that are like an ice rink. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, but I really hate the latter on a dewy morning.

Mashnut, you seem to be local to here, so how would you describe the tee pads at Mountain Pride? They are half metal, half cloth? I actually like the "cloth" part, it seems pretty grippy. I can imagine the metal gets super slick when its wet though.

Even know those t-pads at Mountain Pride look like metal they are really gray stamped vinyl (or similar semi flexible plastic). I haven't played them when they are wet, but i'll bet they are super slippery.

If a t-pad looks wet ill try a half powered swing to check the footing. Usually I just find a spot near the t-pad that works where I can get good footing and not fall on my arse. I do really like the rubber t-pads when they are dry but when wet they are pretty much guaranteed to shank my throw into the tullies.

Huge thumbs up for Mountain Pride! Had a great time on that course for the first time recently. Cheers!

The rubber ones with the diamond pattern at mountain pride are pretty bad when wet or with a little dust on them there are a few of the other kind of rubber pad out there too that are a lot better. The cloth next to them is just upside down carpet scraps, most people just use that side if it's wet and it works fine since the ground is so firm out there.

OT, but feel free to hit me up if either of you is looking for someone to play a round with, I like meeting folks from here. :)

Slippery pads suck. For me, winter golf helps address the issue. In snow and ice, often there's no choice but to practice standstill technique, and you know that skill is going to come in handy sometime. I'm not good at it yet, but I'm getting there.

Last edited:
It's not just water---some rubber pads get a little sand or dust on them, and get slick.

One of the new local ski resort courses just put something similar to these in... Really nice, even when wet!

Forgive me if the link doesn't work.... posting from work!

71BnYBrWwrL.jpg

If a t-pad looks wet ill try a half powered swing to check the footing. Usually I just find a spot near the t-pad that works where I can get good footing and not fall on my arse. I do really like the rubber t-pads when they are dry but when wet they are pretty much guaranteed to shank my throw into the tullies.

Hear hear!:clap:

I love long concrete pads, but those posted above look awesome.

We have Fly18 Fly Pads on our course and as long as the pad gets regular sunlight they are plenty grippy, even when wet. There are a few that are in weird shaded spots that never seem to get sunlight that get a slime on top during rain and can be slippery. Dry conditions and they're fine.

I know what you're saying, Downriver in Spokane used to have industrial rubber you might use to surface a work bench for some of their teepads and those things were horrible. If the sick surface didn't get you then the warped surfaces would. I think a lot of it has to do with finding the right type of matting, proper installation, and upkeep. The rubber teepads they used at the Japan Open were awesome. It rained all tourney and I never slipped once.

I like carpet myself.

I know what you're saying, Downriver in Spokane used to have industrial rubber you might use to surface a work bench for some of their teepads and those things were horrible. If the sick surface didn't get you then the warped surfaces would. I think a lot of it has to do with finding the right type of matting, proper installation, and upkeep. The rubber teepads they used at the Japan Open were awesome. It rained all tourney and I never slipped once.

haha good ole downriver rubber pads. I always have to throw off to the side of those pads when its raining or wet if im not wearing my grippy boots. If you have good grippy soles on your shoes with good traction its not a problem. Wearing chuck taylors or vans? Dont expect to stay on your feet for all 18 pads if theyre wet. One of them will get you on your ass.

I like carpet myself.

I've always wanted to try a course with the carpet/turf pads. They look interesting and relatively cheap.

Turf is amazing when done well, it has similar grip no matter how wet it gets and it drains evenly without leaving puddles in the middle of the pad. I find that upside down carpet works better than leaving the carpet side up, it's a little more durable and offers less chances for strings to come loose and wrap around your feet during a run up.

The rain started to fall in the middle of my round today, and once the footing went to hell, so did my game.

Just curious, has anybody found shoes that can handle wet grass and slippery tee pads?

Turf is amazing when done well, it has similar grip no matter how wet it gets and it drains evenly without leaving puddles in the middle of the pad. I find that upside down carpet works better than leaving the carpet side up, it's a little more durable and offers less chances for strings to come loose and wrap around your feet during a run up.

Our experience is that upside-down carpet is less durable. I'm not sure why; I think the sun melts the glue, and the cords in the base start coming loose.

It does, however, provide superb grip.

We haven't had any problems with loose strings on rightside-up carpet. Though it may be because time and weather affect our carpet tees more than usage, and a heavily-used course may have opposite results.

Any thoughts on this product? I've never used it, just learned about it today in a discussion about broken ankles - Tyregrip http://www.amazon.com/Tyre-Grip-Spr...8&qid=1413146150&sr=8-1&keywords=tyregrip#Ask

they also have a product called shoe grip (more expensive for smaller can, same product? somewhat better specifically formulated for shoes? I dunno) http://www.tyre-grip.com/index.php?...roduct_id=2&virtuemart_category_id=1&Itemid=7

Also I don't know if it's specific only grip to ice, which of course could be useful in specific slippery teepad situations, but maybe it's useful for other slippery situations? Maybe I'll get some this winter...

Last edited:

Latest posts