• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slippery teepads

It's a neat idea, but both of the long pin positions are bad hole design for the advanced level players the long tees are designed for. They make an ok par 4 for rec/int level players, but for higher level players they're tweeners. It's pretty easy to get a 3 and almost impossible to get a 2 so they don't provide interesting scoring separation. A few holes on that course suffer from that issue, hole 8 in the long is the same way as is 14 from the long tee.

I still think rating par on a 0.5 scale would fix this greatly. You still keep score like normal, but a hole could be anywhere from a par 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, and so on. Some holes would be impossible to score par on, you're either over or under. It would also mean the end of a traditional course par. Two courses that could now both be a par 54 could be 45 and 63 if one was a 2.5 par course and the other a 3.5. This would likely keep one person from getting 8 under on one course and 3 over on another. Pars would be more accurate.

Of course, I understand the complexity and problems that would come from this system and don't expect it to ever be initiated.

I thought this thread was about slippery tee pads. Youse guys are waxing poetic about rubbing yore discs. Ewwwww....:gross::D

Totally worth it!! :hfive:

Playing from a teepad without removing the snow will pack the snow and it'll turn to solid ice after an overnight freeze. That makes the teepad unplayable for everybody else, for the next few days if not the rest of the season. :wall:

Every group that plays in snowy conditions should carry along a shovel or broom. High score on the previous hole clears the next teepad. :)

Nobody...EVER...should be playing on a pad with snow. All those doing so, should be nicely pulled aside and educated. :hfive:

I was watching tourney coverage and noticed that Nikko and Brinster put a towel (or something) on the pad where they planted. Does anyone use this technique?

I use a towel, and they work wonders. You have to be consistent enough to plant on the towel without having to think about it though, otherwise you'll either get thrown off trying to get your plant foot in the right place or miss the towel completely.

Terry cloth or microfiber?

It was wet yesterday, so I went microfiber, and it was pretty great. The only time I slid was when I didn't get my whole plant foot on the towel, and even it supplied enough traction to rebalance after release. I was surprised how little it bothered me, but I could see how one could get hung up thinking about it. I actually enjoyed having a planting point to focus on. Mostly I enjoyed the confidence to run up and rip without worrying about whether my plant foot would stay planted on the wet pads. I'll probably stick with microfiber just for its durability.

Latest posts