• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SLUMP

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Yes, friends. I am in a slump right now. I'm not awful but I know I can play better. What do you do to shake it off?

When I've been in sports slumps what works for me is a realignment in perspective. Sometimes it requires me to walk away for a few days, but once I get back in the "this is for fun" mindset, things improve.

It seems to be a common thing for me. I tend to get pretty bad for awhile, but when I come out of it I play better than ever before. Then it goes back down a bit, then better, etc. I think its part of the natural cycle. Stepping away for a couple days wouldn't be a bad idea if you play everyday like I'm sure more than a few of us do.

play a round of ball golf if you're like most people you'll know what it really feels like to suck at golf.

but yeah take a few days off.

but if you can't walk away - play some non serious rounds and use one disc or just screw around trying all sorts of crazy/low percentage shots takes your mind off things

What has helped me before is instead of actually playing, I would go to the football field and work on form. That way, when I did get out of the slump, I was better. It helped me a lot.

As in any sport, get focused on fundamentals. Thin out your discs and go with the tried and true for a while. Work on putts and approaches. Maybe leave the driver in the bag for a round or two. The fun and results will come back. Then you can get in the cycle all over again.

All great suggestions. I usually get back to basics and work on my form. A couple of non serious rounds usually helps and playing with some friends who have just discovered the game is really fun too.

i feel you, i am in a serious driving slump, i keep throwing it up and to the right, no matter if i slow down or try to think it through

Take a few days off, or put your bag back in the car. Pull out your mid or putter and play one disc through.

Yes, friends. I am in a slump right now. I'm not awful but I know I can play better. What do you do to shake it off?

All players as they get better hit plateaus, which in turn feel like slumps, since you are expecting more from your game and not getting it. Many people wonder why they can't consistently make more putts or drive well. Ultimately, it's because they are not changing their ways for the better. What had worked in the past may still be working, but you cannot expect to reach the next level if you stick to that exact same strategy. Life is not magic. It's about adaptation, versatility, and resilience.

All players as they get better hit plateaus, which in turn feel like slumps, since you are expecting more from your game and not getting it. Many people wonder why they can't consistently make more putts or drive well. Ultimately, it's because they are not changing their ways for the better. What had worked in the past may still be working, but you cannot expect to reach the next level if you stick to that exact same strategy. Life is not magic. It's about adaptation, versatility, and resilience.
Is this seriously Tom? Did some caring thoughtful person hack into his account? =)

When I'm in a slump, I just remind myself that I have balls. Then I man up and get out of it.