• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the course!

We'll I was playing handicaps the other day and a couple guys threw there discs in the pond. One guy it just about to go in and fish everyone's discs out when his buddy says "WOAH! Snake!"
3485974229_620cc46018.jpg

So instead of going in we decide to send the Golden Retriever in after the disc... Not a real one, although she would have chased the snake away for sure.

All this time we thought it was a moccasin and would be sure to tell everyone who went into the lake as soon as the got into the middle of it! :)but it seems that it was just a harmless brown water snake. I am pretty sure there is still a moccasin in there but it lives on the other side, it's about twice as fat as this guy.

definitely not a cottonmouth. Rounded thumb shaped head and color are giveaways. If you get close enough to a cottonmouth there is a good chance he may come after you. they're very aggressive and tend to charge verse flee the scene. Luckily I've only seen a few and never had any real run ins with those snakes. I wish I would have downloaded photos i used to have on an old phone. We're 15-20 miles from civilization hiking the Sheltowee Trace trail. We were near the TN side of the trail and used to hike to this amazing rock garden/creek/lake. The creek/small river drops in elevation really quickly where its pure white water and some of the boulders that litter this area are as big as houses and small buildings. Directly past that section the stream opens up into a small lake because the elevation flattens out right in that area. You can count on Copperheads being fairly close to a water source and usually come out at night to hunt because they're pit vipers and its easier to detect heat with a cool back ground but we had to have counted over 50-60 different copperheads within the area of a football field? Maybe it was mating season? I took pics of a couple that had to over 4 feet in length with heads bigger than my fist and really fat girth for their size. These were old well fed snakes. I honestly wondered if one of the bigger snakes I saw was a record? I've seen many copperheads and those were two of the biggest fattest I've ever seen! I may have downloaded them into an old email file? If I can find them I'll post them. These copper heads were enormous! and this was one of the rare trips that Madison stayed home. The only time that dog didn't go backpacking with me was when she was injured or the terrain was too dangerous and on this occasion she was injured. she would have got bitten on that trip for sure had she went...

Last edited:
I have had a dog bitten by a copperhead- he survived it but it was a really ugly deal. Nate's dog Zoe was a snake casualty as well- those Aussie snakes are super nasty. I also have had a live copperhead get rolled up into a bale of hay that I pulled off a wagon. I did not get bit but more through luck than anything else. Leaving them be in areas frequented by kids/dogs/me is somewhere just south of the equivalent of leaving a loaded gun laying around imo.

I have also been bitten by a good size rat snake but harbor no ill will towards them.

I have killed a "Michigan Rattler" hanging around a party with children and dogs, but there are lots of dangerous and annoying things in nature. I am not sure we should irradiate them all. I know that is not what you were advocating, but killing that one snake caused a quick debate among several of us that afternoon. It is the snakes home, and the snake is just being a snake. So.....we decided that if we ate it, it was ok. :| :p :thmbup:

I live in North Carolina. I encounter 2 - 4 a year just playing disc golf. At least double that number if you count my encounters while fishing and canoeing/kayaking.

Just last week the wife and I saw one the biggest Black Snakes I have ever seen in our churches parking lot when we were out walking the dog one evening.

The only snake that ever bit me was a common water snake. I didn't blame it though, I was in the process of trying to hide it in my buddy's tent.

Took a glancing blow on my pants leg when I stepped on a copperhead once. About shixt myself that time.

I have killed a "Michigan Rattler" hanging around a party with children and dogs, but there are lots of dangerous and annoying things in nature. I am not sure we should irradiate them all. I know that is not what you were advocating, but killing that one snake caused a quick debate among several of us that afternoon. It is the snakes home, and the snake is just being a snake. So.....we decided that if we ate it, it was ok. :| :p :thmbup:

Now I can say I know a snake hunter. :thmbup:
Considering the size of massasaugas, it couldn't have been much of a meal. :|

You Force Me To Tell It

My disc golfing buddy and I were on a trip out west and took a day to go hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. We were plodding down a trail with me in the lead when we came upon two women standing still. I walked up and saw that they had stopped before a 5 foot snake stretched across the trail. I looked at them and said "It's not venomous" and stepped over it and continued on my way. About 40 yards farther down the trail, my buddy asked "How did you know it wasn't venomous?" I looked back, shrugged and said "It didn't look venomous." He still doesn't trust me to this day.

I definitely almost stepped on some kind of viper at Cabin Creek once. It was still pretty young I am guessing from the size of it. Might have been 2 ft stretched out but was barely bigger around than my thumb. I didn't even notice it till I reached down to pick up my disc after putting it weeds next to no 6 basket and it was maybe 8 inches from my right foot. It was a lighter brown but there is no mistaking that triangular head, pretty sure it was a young copperhead. It never did move, still pretty early morning so it might have been cold or I just got real lucky.

Three encounters too many

I have been part of three snake encounters (all in Texas) while playing disc golf:
-- I nearly stepped on a moving snake at Audubon Park in Garland. Didn't see it, but my playing partner yelled as I was about to step, and I froze as the snake moved toward the creek/water under the road.
-- I saw a snake apparently sunning itself on No. 10 at Z-Boaz in Forth Worth. I gave it a wide berth.
-- A playing partner almost stepped on a snake on a small peninsula of land on the pond at Lester Lorch. Until then, I didn't know he had those moves.

I have come acraoss the Northern Western Rattlesnake one time while playing well 2 but one I knew about the den on a friends private course but I had to get my disc back. Discraft had limited production on the disc, a the Elite X Wasp as a tournament disc.

I live in NC and I frequently see snakes on the course. Saw a brown water snake on Friday at Buckhorn. It was the second one I saw last week.

I have come acraoss the Northern Western Rattlesnake one time while playing well 2 but one I knew about the den on a friends private course but I had to get my disc back. Discraft had limited production on the disc, a the Elite X Wasp as a tournament disc.

You have to go after those limited edition discs, no matter the danger!