• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the course!

Saw 2 yesterday, one at Audobon and one at Rockwall. Both were probably 4 foot and very very very fast. I kill them if they are bad snakes because I dont want someone else to walk on them

There is no such thing as bad snakes, they are for the most part afraid of humans, excluding cottonmouths. Cottonmouths aren't afraid of anything and would be considered highly aggressive and dangerous. I wouldn't try to kill one (except with a 12 gauge shotgun), but I could see the danger in one of those on the course. They are usually found around water/wetlands.

Rattlesnakes will warn you of their presence by rattling. They will coil up and rattle like hell before striking. They are afraid of humas too.

Copperheads will strike when scared or stepped on, hey that happens.

Most other snakes out there are completely harmless and beneficial to humans. They eat rodents and insects(which can carry diseases) and amphibians.

I'm not some type of snake handler or snake person, but they are not the devil or any type of dreaded creature that should be killed on sight.

Just my two cents.

`cjc

The copperhead that I ran across the other day was right in the middle of a mowed walkway and I was just about to step when I caught sight of it and jumped back. We sat there and looked at it from about 10 feet back and it was frozen. I read later that copperheads will freeze and remain motionless when they sense danger. It was, therefore, most likely in defense mode and would have struck if stepped on.
I think that common sense dictates that poisonous snakes in public areas should be killed. Either that or relocated by a professional handler.

Last edited:
most people bitten by copperheads have stepped on them and caught a bite in the ankle or calf...they blend in so well, especially on pine needles..i watch where i'm walking when golfing for sure!! especially on hot sunny days..they will sun on the tee pads

all poisonous snakes(in north america anyway) have a triangular head and cats eyes...non poisionous have a rounded head and rounded eyes...
Wrong on both counts.

How can I tell the difference between a venomous snake and a harmless one?

Unfortunately, there is no one simple hard and fast criterion a person can use to tell a venomous snake from a harmless one. None of the popular criteria such as a broad, triangular head, a heavy body, cat's eyes (vertical pupils), a flat body, or rough scales are safe since both harmless and dangerous snakes are known to share some or all of these traits. The only unfailing method is an examination of the snake hollow of grooved fangs and venom glands. For obvious reasons, this is not a practical approach. A better method is to know which venomous snakes occur in your area and have a good idea about what they look like. With this in mind, keep a copy of a good field guide to Texas snakes handy, and remember a few simple facts. While many species of harmless snakes will vibrate their tail, only rattlesnakes have rattles which produce a recognizable "cicada-like" buzz. And while most rattlers will sound their rattles when they sense your presence, this is not always the case. If you catch a rattlesnakes totally by surprise, it may choose to strike first. Pit vipers, such as rattlesnakes, water moccasins, massasaugas, and copperheads, do have cat's eyes with vertical pupils, but so do Texas lyre snakes, Northern cat-eyed snakes and Black-lined snakes which are harmless. Knowing the range of these latter snakes and knowing where you are will make this a more valuable criterion. The Texas lyre snake occurs only in extreme West Texas while the Texas cat-eyed snake and the Black-lined snake occur in extreme South Texas.

Coral snakes, which are venomous, do not have cat-eye's. They are the only venomous snake in Texas that is brightly colored red, yellow, and black bands completely encircling the body. Because harmless Texas scarlet snakes and Louisiana and Mexican milk snakes share the red, black, yellow coloration pattern, it is important to notice the order of the colored bands. A good memory-jogging device to learn is "Red next to black is O.K. for Jack; red next to yellow will kill a fellow." Finally, with scarlet and milk snakes, the bands do not completely encircle the body but stop at ground level, under-bellies being uniform in color.

Many large harmless snakes appear to have large triangular heads which are wide in proportion to the neck, especially when you are looking down at them, so this is really not a good criterion in the field. Additionally, many harmless snakes can make themselves look and act like pit vipers, the Texas hognose snake is a good example. Water moccasins, also known as cottonmouths, do not have rattles, but the do have facial pits. Sometimes these are hard to see without binoculars and still maintain a safe distance. Blotched, Yellowbelly and Diamondback water snakes are often mistaken for water moccasins because they share thick trunks, dark, dimly patterned backs and sides, as well as the same aquatic habitat. Cottonmouths do exhibit rather distinctive behavior, however, that usually helps to differentiate them in the field. They are significantly less agile than water snakes and often hold their ground and gape open-mouthed in a threat posture. The open gape is cottony white, hence their common name.

Copperheads are venomous and can be prevalent in wooded suburban neighborhoods. While their venom is only about half as destructive as that of an equal quantity of western diamonback venom, they are sometimes hard to see in habitat. Due to their cryptic coloration, they blend in beautifully with their surroundings. While they are not highly aggressive, they often get stepped on. According to Alan Tennant in Texas Snakes, not a single death resulted from 308 copperhead bites over a 10-year period.

--http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/junior_naturalists/moresnakes.phtml#s20

exceptions to every rule...like most disc golfers aren't arrogant know it alls..sorry i didnt think of corals(none in this area)...whats next mr biology?..amaze us with "your" knowledge

If you avoid them all like they would kill you then you don't get killed by them.

Works for bears, lions, and redheads too.

J/K about the lions.

exceptions to every rule...like most disc golfers aren't arrogant know it alls..sorry i didnt think of corals(none in this area)...whats next mr biology?..amaze us with "your" knowledge
I always get amused when people get called out on mistakes and they bring up "well, that's the exception that proves the rule".

Nothing like spreading misinformation when it comes to life threatening topics like venomous snakes. :rolleyes:

I always get amused when people get called out on mistakes and they bring up "well, that's the exception that proves the rule".

Nothing like spreading misinformation when it comes to life threatening topics like venomous snakes. :rolleyes:

I feel ya EricJ. Thanks for going to the source and posting some facts on this matter.....it feels like I'm back in school (I'm a non-practicing certified Wildlife Biologist).... dern, I miss learning about all that stuff....

With sound education... comes wisdom.

Fear only begets fear.

another arm chair golfer with a stick up his ass...there are excceptions to every rule..like most golfers are cool people..i enjoy playing with *******s like you...tell me how to play and what im doing wrong even when i am beating you by 10...any ******* can google and post...

Hello 80playedin10states. I do definately agree that there are exceptions to every rule. Did you read the article EricJ posted? It basically was saying that there are exceptions to every rule (in nature)....

I do apologize if you took what was posted earlier personally. Facts were merely being conveyed to help keep people (and the snakes) safe.

I would never give u advice on the course.... I would lead by example. I have never been beaten by even close to 10 strokes before.

How does an arm chair golfer post w/ a stick up his bum? It's not physically possible.... unless he's got a hole in his arm chair.... :p

another arm chair golfer with a stick up his ass...there are excceptions to every rule..like most golfers are cool people..i enjoy playing with *******s like you...tell me how to play and what im doing wrong even when i am beating you by 10...any ******* can google and post...

Just like anyone can post misinformation without knowing or checking their facts. Which one is more useful?

Dude you must be the bestest, coolest, disc golfer and message boarder in the whole darn world.
worship3.gif
When I grow up I wanna be just like you.

I'm going to **** and **** because *******s like it when ****** start *****ing and snakes ***** and pull the stick out of my ****** ******* ***. I will beat the **** out of any ******* discgolfer who ****** **** **** poisonous.

***** *** facts ***** ****** New York ******** ***** onions.

I'm going to **** and **** because *******s like it when ****** start *****ing and snakes ***** and pull the stick out of my ****** ******* ***. I will beat the **** out of any ******* discgolfer who ****** **** **** poisonous.

***** *** facts ***** ****** New York ******** ***** onions.

couldnt ****ing agree more!!!

another arm chair golfer with a stick up his ass...there are exceptions to every rule..like most golfers are cool people..i enjoy playing with *******s like you...tell me how to play and what im doing wrong even when i am beating you by 10...any ******* can google and post...

No offence 80 states, but I have personally seen Eric play, and he kicks serious ass on the disc golf course. If you are going to talk s**t about him, you might want to challenge him to a round, take it to the course, and put your money where you mouth is.

No offence 80 states, but I have personally seen Eric play, and he kicks serious ass on the disc golf course. If you are going to talk s**t about him, you might want to challenge him to a round, take it to the course, and put your money where you mouth is.

No offense ERicJ but my money's on 80played. 15 years experience wins everytime over <3 years...even if he is an a-hole.

...and it's hard to play with a stick in your bungy.

Latest posts