• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snap vs Power

Snap Player vs. Power Player

• Snap

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • Power

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters

Mulligan McGee

Birdie Member
In my time as a disc golfer I have noticed two types of throwing styles. There are people who use the momentum of their bodies to propel their discs (sometimes violently) down the field. These people I like to call Power Players. On the other side of the spectrum are players who really on wrist speed and snap who with a resounding crack from their release send the disk gliding down the fairway. These players I have dubbed Snap Players. Now for best results its necessary to blend the two styles however we all have our beginnings, so my question is what kind of player are you? Do you use more snap or arm speed? What disc compliment your style the most?
I'll start:
Snap Player
MVP Vector
ABC Flying Squirrel
Millennium QOLS

(My use of terms Snap Player and Power Player are for the purpose of the discussion of this forum sorry if it differs from any like named term on this site)

oh_snap.jpg

Power, so far I have relied on my natural athleticism. Now I am actually working on the fundamentals of technique that produce exceptional snap.

From what I've seen, most people transition from power to snap. (To use your terms.) As your form develops, you rely less on raw power and are able take advantage of your form to save your arm.

Some years ago, I played with a guy who used almost nothing but his wrist. His run up was a little twinkle toe side step and his arm speed looked almost lethargic. But he put the disc where he wanted it and didn't appear to expend much effort to do so. On a normal length course he carded few 3s. I got schooled that day.

Since I'm a noodle arm I'm a snap player. But one thing I have to say that I've seen. Snap compliments power, when I was just starting to develop my snap my drive were more wobbly, less stable, and a helluva lot less predictable. As I got more and more snap my discs they flew straighter through the entire flight, less turn and less fade. Some may say this is because I got rid of OAT but I say otherwise. Because I'm seeing the same thing happen with my FH throws, and the first thing I did was make sure I had minimal OAT on my throws before I started concentrating on power or snap.

I'm still new at this, so I'm a power player. Every once in a while I back off the power and get a good snap and am amazed at how effortlessly the disc flies so far. Recreating those few near-perfect throws is tough.

I have a slow run up and very audible snap. My herniated disc limits me to use mainly arm speed and snap. I can get 400 consistently.

What about those who have both? I can really put a lot of power and snap behind my max distance form. But I can also tone down and be a pure snap player when I need to hit tighter lines or I'm throwing mids/putters.

Was a power player up until the beginning of this past spring. Strong arming out to about 440. Worked on my form and getting more snap and now I'm getting out to 470 with about 40% less effort.

You should call it spin instead of snap...for this poll. Great spin can come from snap, but snap comes from power combined with mechanics and clean form. I wouldn't associate power with strong-arming, either.

I've never heard this audible resounding crack from any player...except once when I whacked the back of my hand on a tree with a save-me recovery approach. lol. Sounds like a great line of discs...the Mach series.

(edit: if we're talking an audible "snap" from a loose grip or whatever, then I get it...don't get it in terms of what you wrote to describe your poll question, though...)

this thread is funny

oklahyzer was on the right track

please shut this thread down and let it die

everything established by the OP counteracts established disc terminology and is going to put the wrong ideas in folks heads.

power and snap players do not exist

this thread is funny

oklahyzer was on the right track

please shut this thread down and let it die

everything established by the OP counteracts established disc terminology and is going to put the wrong ideas in folks heads.

power and snap players do not exist
All you have to do is change "power" to "strong arm" and you're close. You just have to realize that 98%+ of players are "strong armers". The "snap" players are the ones that can throw fairway drivers ~400'. You also have to ignore the sound part of it. That doesn't really mean much.

Mostly power, it's easier to have good mistakes….only finesse when necessary.

I throw a lot of Force and Nuke OS.

I don't understand this question. There is no such thing as being a good disc golfer without having a lot of "snap." There is not a situation where there are two separate but equal throwing styles. You need to have arm speed and clean form.

Also, the audible sound really doesn't mean too much. When you watch most pros, you will rarely hear much sound except a kind of "thwump" when it leaves their hand. Obviously, pros get great snap without creating a snapping sound. You can't just "snap" a driver 450'. You need arm speed and a clean form which generates a lot of spin.

Last edited:
Using our definition of "snap" you apparently need the "arm speed" of an 11 year old boy to hit 450' on a distance line.

Huh? I do not get this response. You need more arm speed than an 11 year old boy to hit 450' on any line. I'm very confused.

Last edited:
I've never heard this audible resounding crack from any player...except once when I whacked the back of my hand on a tree with a save-me recovery approach. lol. Sounds like a great line of discs...the Mach series.

I was just about to say the same thing. I have seen a lot of good players throw for big distance, but I have never heard that "crack" so many people talk about on these forums.

I'm convinced that the distance a disc flies is purely a function of its speed at the time of release, all else being equal (release angles, wind etc). And that comes from good form.

Latest posts