• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snap

austinpetz

Bogey Member
How do i get good snap on my throw? too lazy to look for threads that are already out there hah.

What you seek is known as the "kill point."
Its like when you pop a towel. So many people are very round in their throw.
Make your disc travel in a straight line. Practice right now, at home, by working on your throwing motion against a wall. You should be able to slide the disc, or your hand, down the wall the whole way through your motion. When you reach the end, that is the "kill point." It is where all your energy you built through your foot work, hip turn, arm motion, and release get transferred into the disc, turning linear motion into rotation. Simple physics...
Hope it helps.
Get straight.
Dont be Round.
Slow and smooth = far.
Its all about the last 25%.

What you seek is known as the "kill point."
Its like when you pop a towel. So many people are very round in their throw.
Make your disc travel in a straight line. Practice right now, at home, by working on your throwing motion against a wall. You should be able to slide the disc, or your hand, down the wall the whole way through your motion. When you reach the end, that is the "kill point." It is where all your energy you built through your foot work, hip turn, arm motion, and release get transferred into the disc, turning linear motion into rotation. Simple physics...
Hope it helps.
Get straight.
Dont be Round.
Slow and smooth = far.
Its all about the last 25%.

Its not like snapping a towel..........Your arm is the towel. Don't throw like you are snapping a towel, it won't maximize your true potential

Snap is generated through good form/timing which requires tons of practice time to obtain. It's one of the hardest things to explain to someone. There are pages and pages of discussion on this and other DG forums about learning snap.

It is actually like snapping a towel, thats why the pros do it to warm up. if you are round the towel doesn't pop...if you are direct then it does. It is just like popping a towel. Snap comes from HITTING. You have to hit at the "kill point" to get the explosive snap you want. If you are round then you will never be able to hit, you MUST be straight. People who say it isn't like popping a towel probably don't have the snap.

It is actually like snapping a towel, thats why the pros do it to warm up. if you are round the towel doesn't pop...if you are direct then it does. It is just like popping a towel. Snap comes from HITTING. You have to hit at the "kill point" to get the explosive snap you want. If you are round then you will never be able to hit, you MUST be straight. People who say it isn't like popping a towel probably don't have the snap.

When I snap a towel in the locker room, I go through motions that I would never do while throwing. I can't see how that would possibly translate to disc golf.

After winding up the towel, I bring my arm forward causing the towel to follow. Then, when the towel is about at maximum extension in front of me, I yank my arm backwards to get a good snap. This is very similar to the crack of a bullwhip.

I can't imagine anyone's throw where they would bring their arm forward to release the disc, then quickly yank their arm backwards along the same line. That's just silly.

Its not like snapping a towel..........Your arm is the towel. Don't throw like you are snapping a towel, it won't maximize your true potential

No, it's not like snapping a towel. In fact, it's NOTHING like snapping a towel in a locker room.
but its pretty simple, get the towel to snap using you throwing form
important to know- DO NOT pull back on the towel to get it to snap
if done correctly, it snaps hard with normal follow through

why does this not work when you first try it??
well thats because your form sucks... (mine does too, so dont be mad)
it will work - but you must pull to the pecs - a swinging arm just fans dust around

if you pull tight to your body and follow through, it pops/snaps (you can hear it)
an odd feeling, but it works for figuring out timing, if you can pop a towel, you can throw over 350

just a reminder, pulling back on the towel is cheating, and you deserve to throw 200ft or less

:)

All this for something that could have been finished with just the one link and ignoring the thread.

Yeah, I agree that it's nothing like snapping a towel. Pros run through the throwing motion with towel in hand so they can grip something other than a disc that could rip out of their hands and go flying. And because it's something they all have handy in their bags. Snap is incredibly nebulous, but I understand it as the final part of the throwing motion (except for maybe the follow-through)--it is maximized by good footwork, torque on the forward pre-release, and opening the wrist at the correct time for maximum distance. Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc. :)

Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc. :)

Snap has nothing to do with the sound. Avery says he never hears a sound, Nate does. Snap is the FEELING of the disc pivoting off your hand. On the rare times I get it to work right, I definitely know it by the feel and get no sound.

The towel drill helps if you hear the pop with a regular swing, not the locker room whip crack. Kenny and Dave demo this at their clinics and on the Fundamentals DVD.

Oh yeah, and snap is obviously the *snap* or *pop* sound you hear when players release a disc. :)

Not at all, that sound often means the disc is slightly slipping out of your hand rather than ripping out at the hit. Snap has nothing to do with any sound you might hear during the throw.

I hear a slight snapping sound when I get better snap. I'm pretty sure it's because my fingers have good tension when the disc comes out, so they slam back together to make a sound.

Snap is something 90% of disc golfers never learn, but 100% of them think they do :\
How many times have we all seen a guy "rip" a 390' drive then proclaim he got great snap.
I think the mindset of "throw it harder" ruins most golfers chances of ever achieving snap.

I play with a guy who fits into the very small group of golfers than can hit over 500' on a golf line and its so effortless for him. The run up/x-step isn't very fast, when his body rotates from facing away from the target to facing towards it there's no insane burst of speed, it looks pretty non chalant. But the opening of the wrist is so powerful in the last half second of his throw the disc launches out at a much greater speed than his arm was moving.

I watched him park (within 10') a 604' hole once with less effort than I put into a 200' approach.
Now maybe its possible to learn good snap but in my observation over 15yrs of Golfing your either born with it or your not. A player is better off mastering his game from 300' on in and putting than chasing real snap.

You're wrong.

Not at all, that sound often means the disc is slightly slipping out of your hand rather than ripping out at the hit. Snap has nothing to do with any sound you might hear during the throw.

You're right.

Snap is something 90% of disc golfers never learn, but 100% of them think they do :\
How many times have we all seen a guy "rip" a 390' drive then proclaim he got great snap.
I think the mindset of "throw it harder" ruins most golfers chances of ever achieving snap.

I play with a guy who fits into the very small group of golfers than can hit over 500' on a golf line and its so effortless for him. The run up/x-step isn't very fast, when his body rotates from facing away from the target to facing towards it there's no insane burst of speed, it looks pretty non chalant. But the opening of the wrist is so powerful in the last half second of his throw the disc launches out at a much greater speed than his arm was moving.

I watched him park (within 10') a 604' hole once with less effort than I put into a 200' approach.
Now maybe its possible to learn good snap but in my observation over 15yrs of Golfing your either born with it or your not. A player is better off mastering his game from 300' on in and putting than chasing real snap.

You are right, too.

I find that trying to explain what real "snap" is to someone that doesn't have it, is like trying to explain the sense of taste to someone that doesn't have it.

I get the popping noise a lot when I throw my Rocs and Putters, and inevitably someone will say "wow, nice snap". Rather than trying to go through trying to explain to them that isn't snap, I just nod my head and say thanks. It really needs a different name to avoid noob confusion.

Last edited: