• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Frank Delicious said:
hardly any lss unless you throw them nose up or high enough to let them fight out the anny. They mostly want to slowly track right for their flight.

I can't get the 132 to come back at all, but the 143 fades a bit after it goes way right. I've only thrown a Katana once, but it's probably a good comparison for these things. Imma gonna sell them to this girl at league who threw the light one once and loved it.

My Blizzard boss is addictive. I was skeptical when the blizzard stuff first came out, thought it was just a gimmick that wouldn't last long, but sampled someones Boss and Ape yesterday then ended up buying a 144g Boss today. This thing bombs backhand and is an easy forehand disc. It tolerates bad throws; I think it's the stability that's correcting bad releases, but whatever,I've gotten some pretty far throws with it.

Blizzards seem to be all over the place in consistancy with 150ish Bosses working the best with a turnover s-line at my 400' power.

Also, add Teedevil to my list of bubbly sux. They might be great if I maxed at 300', loved to turn down deep hyzer flips, or wanted a new disc for a roller. Released flat the three Teedevils I've thrown burned out in less than 250'. Do not attempt to throw these far into a headwind, your friends will laugh at you.

I'd laugh at you if you threw a teedevil in the first place, but yeah, I've said it before, but I looove the bosses.

I have been throwing the 134 blizz ape for a little while now testing it out, I can throw a star 175 destroyer 400-450 (guesstimate), but I have enjoyed it for the most part, it might be a little light but it flips a little from a hyzer and hyzers out for the rest of the flight, the only problem I have had is user error and really bad grip locks (I think cause it is so light) also, it doesn't like any winds at all which seems to be consistent with the other blizzard plastics i've thrown.

If i were to recommend someone who wanted to try it, I'd tell them to get a 150 It seems like a little heavier one would hold up in a head wind.

Still undecided if it will stay in the bag for long term doesn't really have a place in my bag at the moment, but I have hit 500-550 with it a couple times so that's always fun. :mrgreen:

Here is a demanding video review of several Blizzard discs with actual throws with the discs starting at 3:47. Demanding because the talking is done in Japanese. The thrower is the Japanese champion Tetsuya Kikuchi. This video shows how even champions mess up sometimes. He might have thrown it roller intentionally but then it would be messing up because he didn't show how the disc actually flies. Considering Destros are the most OS Blizzards at least when they have dome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBOCxoWpIc0

Virtually indistinguishable from Blizzard Wraiths. (I guess that's a good thing.) Maybe a teeny, tiny bit less turn & a teeny, tiny bit less fade, but that might just be variation from a small sample size. Distance almost identical. Feel in hand almost identical. Only significant differences I appreciated were gummier plastic with a less pronounced dome on the Krait.

I bought a 129g Blizz Katana, with a big bubble dome, a couple weeks ago. I don't have a big arm and I prefer to throw 150 class drivers when I can, so I thought I'd go really light just so that there was a discernible difference between the feel and flight of the blizz and the feel and flight of the 150 wraiths and valks that I usually throw.

I don't know if I got a funky, defective disc or what, but I was expecting a flip machine and ended up with a crazy overstable driver. I can get my valk out to about 400 feet on a good throw, probably average 350 or so, and couldn't believe that I couldn't turn that Katana over. Even in a decent headwind, it fades hard with almost no high speed turn.

It makes me a little apprehensive about purchasing more discs in blizz champ plastic. Either I don't have enough juice to get it up to speed to fly right or the discs are wildly inconsistent.

That sounds like a precious good oddly overstable specimen. Or they mislabeled a Destroyer :) They are way overstable. The difference in shape is easy to spot. 400' Valk is more than plentiful to flip my 134 Katana. What a useless turd that is for being a flip machine.

I've never thrown a destroyer and this katana is my first, so I wouldn't know if it mislabled. I may just chalk it up as a one time defect and grab another katana and a dd2 anyways. If those are also overstable as hell, then I'll know its just me.

I went and compared the whole stock of Katanas, Kraits, DD2s, Bosses, and Destroyers at the shop a few days ago and there was so much variation it was almost not funny. There are a lot of patterns related to color, weight, dome, and PLH though. For example, [IIRC] the 165 DD2s were all merlot and had pretty big domes and high PLH, while the Blues looked like the had a nice glidey dome and regular PLH and were all 149-150, and the green/yellows were flatter and lighter. The specifics might be off, but you get the idea. I looked at a ton of them, and the trends were pretty consistent within each mold, for that run. Different runs will probably mold up differently though.

Three Puttz said:
I've never thrown a destroyer and this katana is my first, so I wouldn't know if it mislabled. I may just chalk it up as a one time defect and grab another katana and a dd2 anyways. If those are also overstable as hell, then I'll know its just me.

If you want a "good" katana, look for one with a moderate sized dome and a PLH/wing that sits somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, not the highest, but not the lowest. Same goes for pretty much all the molds. Unless you're looking for a freak, don't get one that is super flat or ridiculously domey. Set them down on the counter at the shop and compare them.

CatPredator said:
I went and compared the whole stock of Katanas, Kraits, DD2s, Bosses, and Destroyers at the shop a few days ago and there was so much variation it was almost not funny. There are a lot of patterns related to color, weight, dome, and PLH though. For example, [IIRC] the 165 DD2s were all merlot and had pretty big domes and high PLH, while the Blues looked like the had a nice glidey dome and regular PLH and were all 149-150, and the green/yellows were flatter and lighter. The specifics might be off, but you get the idea. I looked at a ton of them, and the trends were pretty consistent within each mold, for that run. Different runs will probably mold up differently though.

Three Puttz said:

If you want a "good" katana, look for one with a moderate sized dome and a PLH/wing that sits somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, not the highest, but not the lowest. Same goes for pretty much all the molds. Unless you're looking for a freak, don't get one that is super flat or ridiculously domey. Set them down on the counter at the shop and compare them.
Unfortunately, I live in the sticks. Most of my disc purchases are made online. There are a couple local shops that I haven't checked yet, but the ones that I have been to have had very limited selections. To give you an idea, out of all the places I've been, Dick's has had the widest variety and the only drivers they had were Beasts, Wraiths and Valks in dx and a couple champ Beasts.

Yea, bummer. Lots of sites will take requests in online orders for specific characteristics in a disc, but it's pretty tough to know what exactly to request with these Blizzards! My experience is that flat is bad, but giant poppy dome is ok on some of them. Sounds like your Katana is something of a dud though. Even domey ones with a high PLH shouldn't be that overstable.

how are the 150 apes doing as true overstable discs? overhands and sidearms? are the apes as dome as the others? how do they fly?

thx

Latest posts