• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

I've seen some sick hyzer flip lines thrown with the blizzard apes. The guys who throw them like them because they will pop up and lock into a line. The problem is that sometimes that line is not the line you wanted as they will track more right before locking in.

bummer. i just got 3 reds, moderate dome. no bubbles in flight plate. i was hoping they would be beefier than my 150 blizz bosses, which are very stable and awesome.
are the destroyers consistently the most (over)stable of all the blizzard discs?

I dunno, i had a domey yellow 156 and that bitch was stable. I traded it away cuz I couldn't get it to go anywhere, way more stable than any of the 150ish bosses I've thrown

steven said:
bummer. i just got 3 reds, moderate dome. no bubbles in flight plate. i was hoping they would be beefier than my 150 blizz bosses, which are very stable and awesome.
are the destroyers consistently the most (over)stable of all the blizzard discs?

I only have a light one so no personal data but on the PDGA board someone said that his turns a little. So nope for consistency.

I found a 156ish Blizzard Boss a few weeks ago and I've had it in my bag for max D. I have some form issues that are keeping me from really getting the most from this disc. I can get it near 375' on a good throw (RHBH), but it tends to be much more errant than my other discs (which I know is in part because of the faster speed), and I can sometimes match it's distance within 0' to 20' with other discs (Valk and Sword for instance).

So while I know I have form issues to work on, I wanted to see if there is a general rule of thumb that you guys use with these discs. For instance, how far would you say a player should throw them before they are of much advantage (relative to other discs)? I realize this is entirely subjective on the thrower, the disc, etc, but give me your thoughts.

My 134 Boss is too much for me for ultimate distance but once it breaks in look out! Blizzzards vary so who knows. I'm a little over 400' thrower before surgery and i haven't tested my current D but mids fly farther now. I'd say i'm on the slow side of 400' throwers with usually 50+ MPH throws with moderately good spin (20 rps at best last year). I haven't checked current revs either now that i snap better.

With blizzard discs, Destroyer is the most overstable. I've heard the same from about 6-7 people. Most are throwing Blizz Boss and Katana.

Any news on how DD2's fly? I'm wondering if it might work as a max D driver for an under 400' player like myself. My 156 Blizzard Boss needs quite a bit of power for me to make it fly a slightly understable line, and my 148 Katana was too touchy.

I have Katanas at different weights and the 156 is good for hyzer flips at 400' power so even more friendly for sub 400' throwers. The 8 grams difference counts unless i had lemons or your 148 is more overstable than my 150. If you get a 159 it would be even better for golfability. And low 130s Bosses are way way easier to toss than heavy Bosses and mine is still beefy except in stiff winds.

Fightingthetide said:
Any news on how DD2's fly? I'm wondering if it might work as a max D driver for an under 400' player like myself. My 156 Blizzard Boss needs quite a bit of power for me to make it fly a slightly understable line, and my 148 Katana was too touchy.
I have a freaky overstable 129g katana, which almost turned me off of Blizz champ altogether. I decided I'd pick up a couple more to test out and went with a 149 DD2. I also tried to order a factory second katana to compare to the first katana, but they shipped a boss instead. I believe the weight of the boss is 139, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, the boss is more stable than the DD2, but not by a whole lot. In fact, I'm really starting to enjoy the DD2. You have to be careful in any kind of wind, but in calm conditions, I can throw it without having to worry about turning it over and it has a tendency to glide out pretty far before it starts to fade. The only problem is that all of these blizz discs are so inconsistent, so I have no idea if my DD2 is behaving the way a typical DD2 should behave. Either way, I really like it.

Oh and I usually throw valks about 350 feet with the occasional throw getting out to about 400. I've been hitting 400 consistently with the DD2 in calm conditions, so it works pretty well for this noodle arm , but with the consistency issues of blizz molds, I can only cautiously recommend it.

What's the lightest blizzard disc you've seen? We got a blizzard ape marked 114g (scaled @ 117g) in today and I was really tempted to take it and try it out.

I still love the early run-bubbles in the flight plate 136g bosses. I hadn't thrown them for a while but took one out today I had a really nice throw with it after two drives where I underestimated it's stability (but still got pretty decent distance).

I'm kinda sad they didn't stick with the bubbles in the flight plate, I really liked the look and feel of those a lot more.

I got a 150 DD2 and couldn't throw it at full power in the wind. Flippy even at that weight and i don't think 9 grams more will make it golfable for me. Can't say about how well it flies for lower powered players. It is the opposite of the Boss in that it is easy to overpower. Get a zero G Quasar instead. A 150 flips for me with control power but not hard and the flip an't the fastest and the onset of fade is extremely slow and the fade ain't nearly as hard as with the Boss so it flies straighter in the end gliding more than the Boss. Way more distance potential especially for lower powered players. No run up eyes on the target all the time 400' with pulled power. Yummy.

Sorry I forgot most of this thread, but blizzard discs with bubbles only in the wing aren't nearly as good as the blizzard discs with bubbles only in the flight plate. I have a couple Blizzard discs with the bubbles on the very outer edge of the wing and they are the worst. I guess it's harder to manufacture blizzard discs with bubbles only in the plate.

chainsmoker said:
Sorry I forgot most of this thread, but blizzard discs with bubbles only in the wing aren't nearly as good as the blizzard discs with bubbles only in the flight plate. I have a couple Blizzard discs with the bubbles on the very outer edge of the wing and they are the worst. I guess it's harder to manufacture blizzard discs with bubbles only in the plate.

You are 100% correct. Make discs less gyroscopic and they suck. It's my understanding that Innova is purposely keeping the bubbles out of the flightplate (I read a Dave D. comment when they debuted and he said that the goal was bubbles in the rim only.

So I have to wonder...As much experience as Dave D. has designing discs, is he completely ignorant to gyroscopics? Or are these discs designed to kind of suck?

This really pisses me off personally...I was really digging my original bubble Bosses back in September. So when I ordered tournament discs from Innova for the tourney I was TDing it was a very Blizzard heavy order. When I got the discs I was pretty disappointed. None are anything like my original Bosses. 95% of the discs have texture on the wings from bubbles coming through the surface. Many of the wings looked cooked or something as the plastic was glossy and slightly discolored on the wing. I took one of the best looking Bosses (one of the 2-3 discs that didn't have bubbles coming through the surface) and even it flies like complete crap compared to my bubbly flight plate ones. It really sucked because I had to give discs out in prize packs that I honestly was embarrassed of. Luckily I did order some MF and glow discs that are pretty sweet.

Someone really needs to start a tourney sponsorship program that rivals Innova because I would LOVE to have other choices.

I decided I should try a Blizzard Destoyer since that is the mold I know best that comes in Blizzard plastic. I've been throwing destoyers since 2008 and still have a couple in my bag that I got off this forum in 2008. I bought a very sweet looking 154 Blizzard Destroyer with bubbles in the entire disc. This blizzard Destroyer is actually molded pretty well and has a decent dome and the same plh as the most stable destroyer in my bag. The blizzard destroyer flies on the same lines as the most stable Destroyer in my bag but is about 15' shorter. The blizzard destroyer felt like it came out faster and looked like it slowed down quicker which I guess makes sense. FWIW I throw my champ Destroyers 410-420' in calm warm conditions and I think this is the lower limit of power to make a broken in Destroyer fly correctly.

Does anyone have experience with Blizzard PD2's? I've heard reports that they are super flippy. Any chance there are some with higher PLH that would be more usable?

what is the most (over)stable blizzard disc right now? i just lost my 2 overstable 150 blizzard discs which were, wait for it, katanas. these were overstable discs no doubt. they had a ufo-looking dome, and it looked like the wing was pulled up because of the way it domed up. any suggestions on mail ordering overstable blizzard discs? I tried a couple apes at 150, and they are great and straight, but not over stable. fwiw- I can get my bliz bosses out to 450+ consistently. thanks