• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Played the sanctioned league yesterday evening and started with a 4 on the first hole, which should be an easy birdie. Stayed focused and shot 2 down, my PB at this course and highest rated sanctioned round at 957. 😁

Settling into a pretty decent putting routine with improved results.

Played much more comfortable in a heavily wooded course called Northwest River in Chesapeake Virginia. It's a Standstill and x-step course for me. Had been putting woefully the past month, and changed my grip about a week ago, and the new focus has helped.

Last weekend I was able to wear my disc golf shoes (Nortiv 8) for the first time in six weeks with comfort due to a plant foot issue, not a disc golf injury my small toe was swollen and painful. I had been wearing a semi-formal work shoe that would slide on throws, but comfortable. Good to get back in my disc shoes.

Last weekend bagged 2 courses for the first time since September both on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and Virginia. The warm weather has settled in Virginia Beach shorts and t-shirt, time to get the game rolling again.

So I decided to do some heavy lifting dehydrated a week ago, and after a few ill-thought-out rounds where I put my forehand to use despite injury I realized I need to put the shot on a shelf for a few weeks.

Last night I played a Friday night league (Ottawa Park, Toledo), but with no forehand. Short tees. Proceeded to get out there and just crush it. At one point rattled off 13 birdies in a row (12 mine, partner got the last one solo). My partner contributed a total of 2 drives and 2 putts (which was crucial, by the way - we won by 1).

If you count the Zone as a putter (I usually don't but why not include it here) it was one of the better putter dominated rounds I've played in a while.

Putters inside 18':
Judge: 1, 2, 7, 16, 18, 19
Warden: 12
Zone: 4, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17

Also got an Origin to inside C1 on the slightly uphill 360' awkwardly-shaped-for-backhand hole 14.

Overall highly encouraging. As I get older I start to wonder annually, especially in the winter months, "how much power am I gonna lose this year?" I was feeling discouraged throwing in the 40-50 degree temps in recent months and the thought was hitting me hard after a truly terrible sanctioned round in 35 degree temps and high winds a couple of weeks ago, but with temps in the 70s I'm happy that although I know I've lost some top-end power - the release on the putter is still clean enough to keep those ripping.

In all fairness, I've got to add a report about a miserable one round C tier I threw Friday night. After having a really good year so far, I was really, truly, mediocre at best, finishing low enough to have the round thrown out of my rating. Small blessings, I guess.

In all fairness, I've got to add a report about a miserable one round C tier I threw Friday night. After having a really good year so far, I was really, truly, mediocre at best, finishing low enough to have the round thrown out of my rating. Small blessings, I guess.
*hug*

I have one of those annually... its like every year I gotta be reminded that there's a long-term impact (rating) when I get frustrated and stop paying attention to what I'm doing for 9 or 12 holes.

I had it my second sanctioned league round of the year a few weeks ago.... I went from shooting a 990 my first round, to shooting an 830 a week n a half later on the exact same layout. Only difference was 60 degrees with the wind coming from one direction vs 38 degrees with the wind coming from another direction. Missed a few short putts and just went in the tank wanting a beer.

Played 4 rounds in two days getting to unfamiliar courses that we're shooting in upcoming tournaments. One of them was Johnson Park in Grand Rapids, haven't set foot there since the old Mach 2's were in the ground probably over 20 years ago. What a deliciously fun course! I'm always happy with a 900-rated round anymore, and that's what I got there. My 7th grader beat me by 2.

Then we had enough sunlight to hit parts of Brewer on our way home where they're having us MA-50 guys shoot the long layout for a state berth. There's an infamous horseshoe-shaped par 5 where Scott Stokely took a 7 a couple of years ago. So did I! We didn't keep score for the round, just practiced some of the tougher holes. I'm going to tell myself to have fun in that tournament.

Yesterday we entertained a pair of world-caliber juniors and their Dad at Oshtemo. I wound up tying an 11-year-old who finished 10th in MJ-12 worlds as a 10-year-old last year, super stoked with that! He's super good at angle control with flippy Discs and spliced many of Oshtemo's fairways. I had to drain 3 big c2 putts to tie him. My kid got us both by 2 strokes. His 6 or 7-year-old sister can hit 200' with forehands to boot, using super lightweight drivers. We gave her a player's pack 130ish gram Cyclone last year and she bombs with it. Such a joy to be there throwing with them both. Their Dad is a phenomenal MA-40 player too.

Then in the afternoon my kid and I played Lake Arvesta for the first time, doing the easier yellow layout because that's what we're shooting in an upcoming tourney. We were tied going into hole #18, and it's a double-island 300' footer with drop zones if you miss them. I missed them both with my putter layups! To be honest, I was sucking wind, sore and stiff, 4th rounds of weekends always just about killing me. The Ibuprofen had definitely worn off by this point. So he got me by 2 in this round as well, and he's leading me for the year 9 games to 4. Interesting venue, that Lake Arvesta. Looks like they've put millions into that place, and Disc Golf is one of like 20 activities there. Dedicated outdoor pickleball courts too. I'm curious how it will look when they're done excavating and stuff all over the place. Lots of cute holes on the short layout, and it looks like the designer has read John Houck's articles.

So here's how quickly my son is going up and I'm continuing to slide ever so slowly but surely. Two years ago his record was 9-110 against me as a 5th grader (we went to 4 league nights every week). Last year we were close to .500, but I wound up winning by 6 for the year (he had gone .500 against me from May onward though). And now here we are where he's up 5 games on me already and it's not even May. He looks like he's a foot taller than he was two years ago. He can get a Roc past 300' accurately and is getting close to 400' golf lines, especially where there are fewer trees. I'm still better 150' on in just from having decades of having to do upshots because I've never been a big arm, so I've got the touch for those, and my putting is solid. He's cleaning up his short game strokes though, 3-putting noticeably less often.

He's actually helped me get better at those RHBH drives that have been so elusive to me my whole life. I'm hitting 300' by flipping up a Z-Heat or a metal flake Underworld. My forehands are back to being solid (for an MA-50 guy) for the first time in years. They're a good 50-75' shorter than they were in 1999, but I go to them a lot. No elbow soreness at all. I used to get the electrical tingles all the time 25 years ago. Having this shot back has helped me hang in there!

The sanctioned tourney schedule ramps up here shortly for us. I'm hoping half my rounds aren't involving rain like they did last year...

Then in the afternoon my kid and I played Lake Arvesta for the first time, doing the easier yellow layout because that's what we're shooting in an upcoming tourney. We were tied going into hole #18, and it's a double-island 300' footer with drop zones if you miss them. I missed them both with my putter layups! To be honest, I was sucking wind, sore and stiff, 4th rounds of weekends always just about killing me. The Ibuprofen had definitely worn off by this point. So he got me by 2 in this round as well, and he's leading me for the year 9 games to 4. Interesting venue, that Lake Arvesta. Looks like they've put millions into that place, and Disc Golf is one of like 20 activities there. Dedicated outdoor pickleball courts too. I'm curious how it will look when they're done excavating and stuff all over the place. Lots of cute holes on the short layout, and it looks like the designer has read John Houck's articles.
Rocket guys were glowing about that place after Ferris hosted them in the fall. It sounds amazing.
So here's how quickly my son is going up and I'm continuing to slide ever so slowly but surely. Two years ago his record was 9-110 against me as a 5th grader (we went to 4 league nights every week). Last year we were close to .500, but I wound up winning by 6 for the year (he had gone .500 against me from May onward though). And now here we are where he's up 5 games on me already and it's not even May. He looks like he's a foot taller than he was two years ago. He can get a Roc past 300' accurately and is getting close to 400' golf lines, especially where there are fewer trees. I'm still better 150' on in just from having decades of having to do upshots because I've never been a big arm, so I've got the touch for those, and my putting is solid. He's cleaning up his short game strokes though, 3-putting noticeably less often.
What's the disc golf equivalent of the Dad fouling his kid every possession in basketball to keep him from getting the upper hand?

Kicking the discs you're searching for deeper into the woods?
Slapping the disc out of his hand on his backswing?
Making crazy shadow movements in his line of sight when the sun is behind you?

Rocket guys were glowing about that place after Ferris hosted them in the fall. It sounds amazing.

What's the disc golf equivalent of the Dad fouling his kid every possession in basketball to keep him from getting the upper hand?

Kicking the discs you're searching for deeper into the woods?
Slapping the disc out of his hand on his backswing?
Making crazy shadow movements in his line of sight when the sun is behind you?

My usual strategy of being "cringe" is failing to work!

Played my first tourney of the year this weekend, after not being able to play as much disc golf as I like due to a shoulder injury from bench pressing.

It was 2 day, tee time C Tier, playing MA4. I ended up on a card with a father and 2 sons on Saturday. They were polite to me, but they played slow (not so much standing over the disc, but slow to get ready) and it was hard to get in a groove. And I struggled badly and I just sort of felt like an outsider. Shot 32 below my rating.

Day 2 was rainy and muddy and windy and a few people no showed, so I ended up on a card of 5. My shot was off and I took a couple bogeys early on a stretch where I like to get a couple birds. Sitting in 11th at that point and really just wanted to be done. Put my head down, and really tried to focus on nothing other than salvaging the best score I could each hole. Finished up and was pleasantly surprised to see myself in T4.

With that said, even though my skillset is decidedly MA4 and I'd like to win one at some point, I think it may be time to move up to MA3 or MA40, just to be around folks that are a little more serious.

Placed third in the Discers for Whiskers charity doubles event on Saturday.
My teammate Ryan nearly solo eagled hole 7, the 662' par 5, chaining out a 40' putt that i subsequently made. Round two i chained out of a 120' shot for eagle on the same hole.
Went bogey free both rounds.
Oh and the tee for hole 7? A helipad.
picture.php

We also donated 1200 lbs of dog and cat food to a local pet shelter

Played Silver Creek in Manitowoc on Saturday. What a great course, but man did it wear me out. I've never played a course with 36 holes in one loop before. You are close to the parking lot at a few points in the first half, but don't sniff it at all on the back half. I had some good throws and some really bad ones.

My 10 year old had pretty much all the highlights though. He got a 2 on the gauntlet of huge pines hole late in the first half. Nice drive up the middle and made a 20'er. By the second half of the course, we were all worn down and played doubles for the remaining holes. On the lighthouse hole, neither of our drives made it to the dogleg. He threw first and flexed a forehand through the trees and all the way down to the platform green, landing about 20' short of the pin. Awesome shot that wowed us and the guys sitting at the next tee. The wind off the lake made converting that lie for a three wishful thinking, but we were still hyped from his approach shot.

Played the Flower Frenzy at Rolling Hills in Ypsilanti, Michigan yesterday. My first tournament in the protected divisions, since being reclassified as eligible to play there. I was pleasantly surprised that my tournament jitters had nothing to do with that, but were just my normal putting-yips. I played mediocre golf - 6 points below my rating. Only a couple holes that went badly from anything other than lack of putting confidence, or bad putts. Looks like I know what I need to work on!

2 round B-tier Sat/Sun at a couple of the most wind exposed courses - Water Works and Cleveland Lake - in the KC Metro this weekend on close to tipped out layouts.
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/65620

Interesting weather Saturday with a storm front quickly (15mph winds) approaching we managed to get the full round in at Water Works just before the downpour & hail + T-Storm. Wind picked up and the temperatures dropped probably 15 degrees during the round. Finished under par which with some of the soft par 4s at Water Works (holes 2, 6, 8) versus the hard par 3s (1, 3, 5, 14). Strokes were worth 9 rating points, par 58 @ 970.

Sunday had a wind advisory for the whole day and Cleveland Lake made the whole field question the most straightforward of shots. 25mph sustained winds with gusts over 45mph and temperatures in the 50s. 2 players finished under par for the pool of 72. Holes 12 & 17 perched on the embankment both played over by 1.5 strokes for the MPO field and getting to drop in range did not guarantee a putt with the straight-line wind being in full effect coming off the lake. Layups were blown down the hill both directions and I witnessed almost every card have multiple abandoned putts from within 15 feet. Lowlights for me were the 5 penalties with 4 coming in the first 7 holes (3x creek, 1x mando, 1x lake on 18) but made up for those with highlights in the relatively clean back 9 managing the wind. Got pin high for a eagle look on hole 13 (540') with the tailwind assist throwing the Quantum Falcon. Missed the 40 foot head/crosswind putt but a drop in birdie was nice in those conditions. R-Pro Pig came in clutch for headwind putting & approaching and saved me a few strokes. Finished in the cash and above my rating :thmbup:. Strokes were worth 7 rating points, par 62 @ 1009.

you ever have one of those days where it feels like you can't miss a putt?

yeah, me neither.

Pretty much how today went. I think I left an 80' jump putt out there, otherwise nothing but chains today.

I had one of those days a few weeks ago. Canned two 60 footers and everything circle's edge.

The following weekend, I couldn't hit the basket. Pressing too much playing on a card with a couple of MPO.

Beautiful morning Bayville Park Virgnia Beach established 1977. Dropped an 86-footer on #16 short basket with an Eclipse Envy, after hitting a tree from the tee. It's the only hole that's still original from 1977. About a month ago I dropped a 108-footer on the long basket with a Plasma Entropy also after hitting a tree from the tee. I now have both baskets covered.

The best news is after getting back into my disc shoes last week, the pain in my foot is gone for three straight course visits. This week going to leave the toe cushion at home for any field work. Hopefully the issue is behind me.

Latest posts