• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So What Makes a Course 5 Discs Worthy?

discmeettree

Par Member
I've been reading reviews for different courses in different areas and I'm kind of thinking disc golf players are not really willing to give up that elusive 5 disc rating without serious awe factor. A lot of courses come in at like 1-3 stars and I'm like damn, is it that bad? :confused:

So what course should be used as the measure for a 5 disc score? Is it the layout, the baskets, the quality of neighborhood, the overall vibe? Just trying to figure out why so many courses are rated so low.

:)

So many are rated that low because they're not as good as so many others.

So few are rated 5-stars because those few are better than almost all the others.

You can't rate 90% as being "above average", after all.

I've given two five-disc ratings. Neither course is absolutely perfect, but any complaints are very very minor. The two I gave the high reviews to (Maple Hill and Borderlands) are for different reasons. You can read my reviews to get a better idea of why I rate them so highly, but it basically comes down to superb maintenance at Maple Hill and great course design and Borderlands. Both of these are ultimate disc golf destinations with multiple layouts that can test every aspect of your game. Stepping onto those courses, you truly feel like you are at a special place.

On the flip side, there are plenty of courses that I think are very fun, that I only gave a rating in the two to three range. Those low ratings are not saying the course is bad, they're just recognition that those courses are not at the same level of esteem as others.

In a truly 5 course, I want many things. I want to have a wide variety of shots off the tee. Left, right, tunnels, bombers, water carries, uphill, downhill. I want to see bad shots punished off the tee, where par is "saved" rather than settled for. I want to see holes where a good golf shot is necessary, and allows for score seperations. Basics like baskets in good condition, teepads appropriate to each hole, and signage cannot be ignored. Spit and polish is necessary. Our sport thrives on foliage, but it should be trimmed and dare I say, manicured. It should be obvious that love and care go into maintenance, and not just "eh, good enough".

I want to walk out of the car and know I'm near a course. A pro shop is not necessary, but at least a shelter/bulletin board near the first tee helps to serve as a staging point for events. Restroom facilities, trash cans, and a charcoal park grill can help TDs run events. I want the facility to feel like it is catering to the sport, instead of just abiding it.

I have been involved in the sport of Golf for over a decade as a worker. I caddied for nine years on several courses, and have performed nearly every job one could have on a golf course. One thing I have taken away from the game is an appreciation of what takes a course to the top level. The only thing more important than what's on a course, is WHERE is the course. And by that, I want to see great views. I want personal touches that set the course apart. I want a "Pebble Beach Hole 8" signature hole that sticks in your head after the round, the next week, the next year. If I have to think hard about what makes the course great, it won't be getting a 5, unless I'm just trying to single out the very best thing.

To get a 5 from me, you're going to have to "wow" me. But, I'm just some guy on the internet. I don't think my standard for a 5 is very attainable without a dedicated club paying high yearly fees, on a private course. I think these may actually happen within my lifetime, though.

I've played 3 that I would give a 5 and couldn't review 2 of them so I've given out one 5. Hawk Hollow being that one actually got a 4.5 from me originally but looking back I was just being nit picky; so I went back and bumped it up.

All I can say to answer your question is that it's just one of those things you know when you experience it.

In a truly 5 course, I want many things. I want to have a wide variety of shots off the tee. Left, right, tunnels, bombers, water carries, uphill, downhill. I want to see bad shots punished off the tee, where par is "saved" rather than settled for. I want to see holes where a good golf shot is necessary, and allows for score seperations. Basics like baskets in good condition, teepads appropriate to each hole, and signage cannot be ignored. Spit and polish is necessary. Our sport thrives on foliage, but it should be trimmed and dare I say, manicured. It should be obvious that love and care go into maintenance, and not just "eh, good enough".

I want to walk out of the car and know I'm near a course. A pro shop is not necessary, but at least a shelter/bulletin board near the first tee helps to serve as a staging point for events. Restroom facilities, trash cans, and a charcoal park grill can help TDs run events. I want the facility to feel like it is catering to the sport, instead of just abiding it.

I have been involved in the sport of Golf for over a decade as a worker. I caddied for nine years on several courses, and have performed nearly every job one could have on a golf course. One thing I have taken away from the game is an appreciation of what takes a course to the top level. The only thing more important than what's on a course, is WHERE is the course. And by that, I want to see great views. I want personal touches that set the course apart. I want a "Pebble Beach Hole 8" signature hole that sticks in your head after the round, the next week, the next year. If I have to think hard about what makes the course great, it won't be getting a 5, unless I'm just trying to single out the very best thing.

To get a 5 from me, you're going to have to "wow" me. But, I'm just some guy on the internet. I don't think my standard for a 5 is very attainable without a dedicated club paying high yearly fees, on a private course. I think these may actually happen within my lifetime, though.

You need to add Maple Hill to your wish list. That's pretty much what you just described.

The review form on DGCR reads: "Remember, a "5" is considered the ultimate. There is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve the course. It is perfect in every possible way."

So, yes, don't give it out too easy. Disc golf courses are each unique and golfers will travel for a special one. If there were hundreds of 5-star courses, the review system wouldn't be worth very much either.

I read a few reviews for the three 1-1.5 star rated courses in the Vegas area. And these comments stick out to me:

- No tee signs
- 3'x3' tee pad
-Course plays through heavily-used sports field.
-7 holes installed.

These are major penalties for a lot of reviewers and the score will suffer.

Now, for a 5-star course, hole design is a contentious topic will many viewpoints on makes ideal holes. However we can all agree the following are necessary, and will get your course atleast to the 3+star range:

- Dedicated space for disc golf
- Correctly installed and maintained tee boxes, preferrably atleast two per hole
- Correctly installed and maintained baskets, preferrably atleast two per hole
- Accurate tee signs
- Directional signs indicating next hole
- Hole length average of about 300-400 feet. (or more if preferred, not less)

These would be expected for any sport, why not disc golf. Would you play basketball at a court with no backboards? or tennis on a gravel court? Of course not!

Check out the "top rated" tab on the homepage for more info on what makes a 5-star course.

I've played 3 that I would give a 5 and couldn't review 2 of them so I've given out one 5. Hawk Hollow being that one actually got a 4.5 from me originally but looking back I was just being nit picky; so I went back and bumped it up.

All I can say to answer your question is that it's just one of those things you know when you experience it.

I think that is the only true way to define how you know you have played a 5 star course.

I've been reading reviews for different courses in different areas and I'm kind of thinking disc golf players are not really willing to give up that elusive 5 disc rating without serious awe factor. A lot of courses come in at like 1-3 stars and I'm like damn, is it that bad? :confused:

So what course should be used as the measure for a 5 disc score? Is it the layout, the baskets, the quality of neighborhood, the overall vibe? Just trying to figure out why so many courses are rated so low.

Everybody has their own criteria.....and it seems like a lot of people's criteria for the rating part of the review process is to make sure not to garner any extra :thmbdown:'s by being too out of step with the DGCR average (or their best guess at what the average will eventually be when enough reviews are written yet).

I always bring this up since IMO it is a helpful way to think of ratings: Think of them as school grades. A is really good, but A+ is attainable with a score of 97 or better - not complete perfection but close too it.

Very few courses truly fail....which makes an F a grade that should never really be handed out. That makes the both the DGCR scale and the school grading scale an 11 point scale. (Keep in mind that a grade of F is often given for still "getting it right" over half of the time).

My only 5 star is Phantom Falls. For those of you lucky enough to have been able to play it, you'll know why it gets a perfect rating. There are a lot of intangibles that go into 5 stars.

:)

Something to remember is that 2-3 disc courses are average, that doesn't mean it's bad it just means there are a lot of courses better and a lot of courses worse. There really are 0-1 disc courses out there, and a ton of mediocre to slightly above average that deserve those middle numbers.

i hate when i see a course thats in the middle of being built get bad ratings. Pretty terrible for the course. Ussually the reviewer wont go back and change their review after the course is done either.

i hate when i see a course thats in the middle of being built get bad ratings. Pretty terrible for the course. Ussually the reviewer wont go back and change their review after the course is done either.

That's a good point. Happened to the course I helped build here in Cali. The course designer best practice is to set up baskets first, then play the course for a while prior to putting in tee pads. Why? Well concrete tees are pretty difficult to move as opposed to a pin position. You want to make certain that you have the best shots possible before pouring concrete tees.

Someone went out, played the course, then complained in their review about the lack of tees. They obviously knew it was a new course, yet didn't bother to read the part about tees going in after a few months of playing the course as is. They ranted about the course and gave it a poor rating noting that if it had tees, then it would be much better experience. Duh...

This sounds about how I am. I may be a little hard, but hey its my review, not just an echo of everyone else's. Some courses I rate low, others think more highly of. Some I rate high, others disagree. That's the beuty of opinions. They are like mother-in-laws. Lots of people have 'em and nobody wants yours.

One thing that would really set a course apart from others for me is manicured fairways and greens. And I mean manicured.

I know it's an insane expectation for disc golf but to get a 5 rating, your course really has to be maintained the way that a ball golf course would do it. If I give your course a 5, I have to feel like I played a course where you designed the hole, not one where you just placed a tee and a basket to work around what obstacles were already present, and never really gave a thought to how the hole should or would be played.

It's a far-fetched dream of mine to some day have an opportunity to play a disc golf course that is in the same league (in terms of maintenance) as something like this:

ClubCorp-Golf-Bears-Best-Atlanta-Golf-Club-600x310_rotatingGallerySub.jpg

I wouldn't do it all the time, but hell - I'd pay $30 in greens fees and wear dress-code attire just to play a course that nice.

The closest I've come to playing something like that is Mt. Airy in Cincinnati. Then again, I haven't played a whole lot of courses :p

The difference between a 4.5 and 5 for me is that a 5 has that "it" factor. I'm not going to go into depth about what "it" is, but we all know it when we see it, and when we don't.

Can a 9 holer then be a 5? By many of your definitions I would say no. I have worried about the early review thing as well. I helped designed a 12 hole course in an open almost treeless flood plain. I believe we had maybe 10-15 total trees. We did almost have a "blank canvas" to use for trees. There was about 20-25 young trees added so far with more to come over time. So the course will be a lot harder in about 5 years. But I know these two things will probably hurt the course reviews average later on.
The one aspect I do think we did right is the scores have ranged well. One of the best local players plays it at a -9 to a -1 that I know of so an 8 stroke difference on 12 holes is pretty wide. And I have seen average players play the course back to back and have scores range from 10 strokes different. So I think we nailed a lot of the risk vs reward aspect well.

Last edited:
A 5 disc rating is for any course that fulfills any desire that you would want to have while playing on a disc golf course. Weather it be long/short hole, nice scenery, no thorns, etc...

My only 5 star is Phantom Falls. For those of you lucky enough to have been able to play it, you'll know why it gets a perfect rating. There are a lot of intangibles that go into 5 stars.

don't mean to be a jerk but honestly, how can a course where most holes are 150-250 ft, some baskets are made of wood, and there are no teepads (according to the pics) be 5 stars?

Latest posts