• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Soft Focus vs Soft Anode?

SaralaAnne

Bogey Member
Hi guys!

I'm looking to buy a soft putter, but I don't know which one to do. I know I want a softer plastic since I have a stiffer one, and got it narrowed down between the Anode and the Focus. I've had my hands on a focus before, but no where in my area carries MVP (I plan on buying them online) so I was wondering how the products compare? Is the Anode worth the price? Does it really matter because it's a putter? Any and all opinions you might have are welcome. Thanks!

PS I'm sorry if I didn't find this discussion earlier. I searched, I promise!

I'll have a look at the Ion. My other one is a Warlock, 175 weight. I'm looking for putt/approach. I can't drive with a putter :/

hmmm than i would say maybe give the ion or anode a shot. they are unique and should be great at approaches and as putters once you get the hang of them they are great.

between the ion and anode both are very straight approach discs, the ion will fade harder late in the flight, where the anode will just be straight and very little fade if any. They are both very durable discs and should last you a long time. In the woods the soft mvp plastic absorbs tree hits well. I love the soft ion as my approach disc. I tried to like MVP as my putter but like a base line plastic for putts better.

The focus is also a great putter and nice and grippy in soft. But if there are any trees around and it takes enough hits it will change. It is a nice feel to the focus. putters are a lot about feel so the fact that you can feel some up may be good thing.

If you can feel up focui than maybe for now, grab the ion or anode, and if that does not suit you, trade it locally? or in the MP.

If you like the feel on the focus... Get an ion. It's a focus/wizard only better

I disagree. I've thrown all three and with my current putter set-up I use a Focus and a Wizard.

The reason I disagree is because the anode and the Ion feel different. Focus has the super comfortable big bead on the bottom of it. Wizard has one too. But the Anode does not have the big bead...just a thick rim. An Ion has a small bead, but IMO it is kinda sharp.

When it comes to putters, keep it simple. You probably aren't going to lose your putter any time soon. Instead of buying one more expensive disc (like an Anode), why not buy two more focuses. One hard one for putting duty, and one soft one for drives and approaches. If you already have a soft focus, you can beat it in to where it is super straight or slightly flippy, then you have two discs that feel exactly the same, but which do different things for you.

Just my 2 cents.

An Ion has a small bead, but IMO it is kinda sharp.

You must be talking about an old OOP Ion, because newer ones have no sharpness to the bead of any kind. The bead on an Ion is also about the same size as the Wizard and Focus.

Also Pro-D is no bueno

I think Pro D is the worst baseline plastic as well. If you like the feel of the warlock then get an anode. To me, they feel very similar in the hand.

So what is it about your Warlock that is making you pursue another mold? If it's the firmness of the plastic only, I don't think either of your choices will be what you want.

I use (and love) the anode for putting.

There are two main reason why I like the anode for putting:

1: it has almost no fade...dead nuts straight, right into the chains

2: the grip isn't as deep as other putters (such as the Ion). I prefer a putter without a huge/deep grip. It may be a mental thing for me, because when I first started playing, I putted with a midrange disc. So I got used to putting with a disc with a shallow grip.

2: the grip isn't as deep as other putters (such as the Ion). I prefer a putter without a huge/deep grip. It may be a mental thing for me, because when I first started playing, I putted with a midrange disc. So I got used to putting with a disc with a shallow grip.

^This

So what is it about your Warlock that is making you pursue another mold? If it's the firmness of the plastic only, I don't think either of your choices will be what you want.

What I'm looking for is something that's floppier in the middle, if that makes sense? I just can't do something quite as floppy as like a Gumbputt, so I guess a floppy middle and a stiff rim?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what exactly you mean by a shallow/deep grip. Do you mean the lip on the inside and how thick it is, or tall the lip is from the base of the disc to the end of the lip? Maybe a better way to explain it would be how far your fingers have on the rim of the lip before the touch the dome, or how far into the disc your hand goes before you can wrap your fingers around the lip?

I'm using a Star Lycan and Star Skeeter when my Warlock doesn't feel right. Will that be similar to those?

What I'm looking for is something that's floppier in the middle, if that makes sense? I just can't do something quite as floppy as like a Gumbputt, so I guess a floppy middle and a stiff rim?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what exactly you mean by a shallow/deep grip. Do you mean the lip on the inside and how thick it is, or tall the lip is from the base of the disc to the end of the lip? Maybe a better way to explain it would be how far your fingers have on the rim of the lip before the touch the dome, or how far into the disc your hand goes before you can wrap your fingers around the lip?

I'm using a Star Lycan and Star Skeeter when my Warlock doesn't feel right. Will that be similar to those?

See picture. This is what I mean by "the depth of the grip". I like something not as deep...I don't get a good release when I use a putter with a deep grip.

discraft-disc-golf-profile-ringer.jpg

Okay, I got it now. Will it be similar to the Lycan or Skeeter? Or smaller? I wish someone sold them locally :/

Yeah go with the anode. I've got a lot of experience with the ion and the anode is higher speed, more glide, and less fade. I'd recommend getting ion to compliment it too, it is an awesome disc.

I think Pro D is the worst baseline plastic as well. If you like the feel of the warlock then get an anode. To me, they feel very similar in the hand.

Wrong! Pro D is awesome.

Get the soft Focus, great at putting and greatat approaching as well. If you want something that wont lose it flight over time gofor the Anode/Ion.

I say get the anode. Definitely worth it. After years of searching, I think I have finally found my putter. Not only that, but I've become a big fan of all the MVP discs. I've got the ion, anode, vector, and soon will have the axis. Now I've just got to wait til the volt releases.

If you want a floppy middle but firm rim then the Anode is the exact disc you want. You could go the Ion route if you like them more stable too.

The new Neutron plastic MVP just put out is pretty good stuff. I bought a anode and a ion for driving and love both. Still putt with wizards though. If you're looking for something with a little more give in the flight plate, I would suggest maybe trying a softer warlock since you already have experience with it. Putters are all about feel, so which ever one feels the best use it.

If you're looking for something with a little more give in the flight plate, I would suggest maybe trying a softer warlock since you already have experience with it.

The one I have, I believe is the medium plastic, and my husband has the SSS and I don't feel a difference between them, but by the sounds of it, Anode is the way to go for me.

Latest posts