• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Some newbie pointers?

adam423

Par Member
Hi... I'm a new player and I recently bought a Shark DX and Cheetah DX and have been trying to learn to throw them. I've read several articles about the X-step, the power grip, all the angles the disc needs to be in, and watched technique videos on youtube.

For the most part, I'm trying to increase the distance I throw. I throw both discs only about 200 feet. I'm not a very big guy, but I think the cheetah should hit 300-350 at least, right? I've been throwing them for about an hour a day for the last week trying different grips and things, but pretty much anything I try doesn't increase my distance. Am I expecting too much too soon, or am I possibly doing something wrong? A little trick that someone taught you along the way that made a world of difference. Maybe the best thing would to be waiting on a long par 5 and asking everyone that comes along to teach me how to drive...

O, btw, cool site. The courses near me and the reviews thing is sweet.

Go to http://www.kenclimo.com/ and click on "howto". This will give some good tips. I added about 30 feet instantly when I read the tips on ken's site. The big one for me getting more power was instead of swinging the disc around my body I started pulling it across my body more like you are starting a lawn mower.

Also for grips this is a good resource.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html

For putting I suggest watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_bh_GtjtQ (This video is like 20 mins long but well worth watching)

Everyone has something that works better for them and you will get a million different opinions from people on what works for them. Often times they can conflict with what others have told you. The best thing to do is just concentrate on one area of your game and read up on it and try different things until you start to see the results you want. Then move to the next part of your game.

The Cheetah is a fairway driver and the shark is a mid-range disk. If you are really looking for good distance then I suggest getting a distance driver. I have found that the beast and sidewinder have been really good discs for me to get distance and still be easy to throw for a beginner.

I hope that helps. I have only played for just over a year now and have gone through the information overload and those were the resources that have helped me the most.

Check out:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr

I'd start with these articles to start with:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/drivingform.shtml

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/choosingadisc.shtml

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/sheddingdistancemyths.shtml

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/twelveputtingtips.shtml

and those just scratch the surface. The forum on there is very helpful and gives hands-down the best advice for learning to throw of any place on the internet.

My quick advice is to first buy a stable putter. The Wizard, Aviar, Banger, Challenger, Warlock and Magnet are some of the best putters out there. They can all be used as drivers as well. The Shark and Cheetah are also both excellent discs for learning to throw. Use those three discs for now and resist the temptation to buy something faster and/or with a wider wing than the Cheetah.

It's a lot to take in, but remember to have fun. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

Yeah, without seeing how you're throwing, its tough to give tips on what or what not to do. Definitely keeping the disc close to your body and "the lawnmower start" motion are key, also keeping the disc low is a bit hurdle a lot of beginners have. A lot of newbies throw way high, and nose up so the disc shoots high in the air, stalls out, and drops to the left. One method I've heard of to help fix this is to imagine you're "bitch slapping a midget" with your follow through--keep your arm low in other words.

Also, don't sweat distance too much now. Yes, an experienced player can get a Cheetah out 300+ feet, but that's them. For now, just try to keep the disc low and flying in the direction you want. As you grow more comfortable with that, distance will come.

Thanks for the tips/websites, I guess for now I should just keep practicing, keeping the disc low and straight and eventually something will click.

I do have one more question about the weights of discs. My cheetah is a 175g, which I believe is the heaviest one they make. If I were to get say a 165g would it make that much difference? It baffles me that such a small weight(~10 paperclips!!) can make such a huge difference on the distance and accuracy you get.

Adam --

I am a 6 year player, and I have 1 newbie tip to offer you. I see you from your posts that you might be slipping into a common trap.

Dont overly concern yourself with disc selection (weight, etc). If you get too bogged down with that, you will never learn the funamentals you need to be a good golfer. I know a guy that can throw a beat up shark 350', because his technique is flawless. Plus, new golfers arent really going to beable to notice all the subtle differences between molds. Once you have consistent throw, then the differences in discs will become more apparent.

Buy a putter (must have), and a distance driver from this list: Sidewinder, Avenger SS (discraft), Beast, Valkyrie, (?? anyone else have a beginner distance driver suggestion?)

Once you have those 4 discs, dont buy anymore for at least several months unless you lose one. Once you feel like you can get these discs to do what you want, THEN start trying to throw other types of discs. I played with a 1st year player a last month that carried 25+ discs. He was so preoccupied with disc selection that he lost focus on making good shots.

I carry 8 discs, but 2 of them are Aviar putters, so really its 7. I started with 3, then added more slowly over time.

Lighter disc do make it easier to learn your mechanics and to become more consistent. I started with heavier and switch to lighter disc when I was starting out. The lighter discs made it easier to control so I had much more accurate shots than I did with the heavier discs. I remember seeing a video where a pro threw a 150G about 400ft. Eventually I switched back to some heavier discs. The weight of the disc doesn't make it fly any better.

I do have one more question about the weights of discs. My cheetah is a 175g, which I believe is the heaviest one they make. If I were to get say a 165g would it make that much difference? It baffles me that such a small weight(~10 paperclips!!) can make such a huge difference on the distance and accuracy you get.
If I were recommending new disc, I'd say to get a ligher one, but if you already have it I wouldn't worry about it. Using the Cheetah (which is IMO one of the best discs for a beginner who wants to get more serious about the sport) instead of something faster will make a lot bigger difference than the 10g.

Adam --

I am a 6 year player, and I have 1 newbie tip to offer you. I see you from your posts that you might be slipping into a common trap.

Dont overly concern yourself with disc selection (weight, etc). If you get too bogged down with that, you will never learn the funamentals you need to be a good golfer. I know a guy that can throw a beat up shark 350', because his technique is flawless. Plus, new golfers arent really going to beable to notice all the subtle differences between molds. Once you have consistent throw, then the differences in discs will become more apparent.

Buy a putter (must have), and a distance driver from this list: Sidewinder, Avenger SS (discraft), Beast, Valkyrie, (?? anyone else have a beginner distance driver suggestion?)

Once you have those 4 discs, dont buy anymore for at least several months unless you lose one. Once you feel like you can get these discs to do what you want, THEN start trying to throw other types of discs. I played with a 1st year player a last month that carried 25+ discs. He was so preoccupied with disc selection that he lost focus on making good shots.

I carry 8 discs, but 2 of them are Aviar putters, so really its 7. I started with 3, then added more slowly over time.

I'll second the recommendation on the sidewinder and valkyrie for newer less powerful throwers. Once you start to see more turn than fade (ie RHBH more right turn than left fade) transition to something more overstable, like an Orc.

In my first year experience of playing the actual game of disc golf...

Learned to use 172G DX Aviar A&P disc for putting and approaches. I still have it in my bag.

Learned the meaning of "S-shots" when throwing 175G Cheetah as my main driver. I think I still have that old Cheetah somewhere in my house.

I think you are doing fine so far. Just follow the doctor's order: "Throw, throw, throw with same Cheetah disc for a year and then buy new better toys after that..."

Once you have mastered the "S-shots" to the target where you actually wanted to throw at, then you can start looking for longer driver disc. My first longest driver disc after Cheetah were 175G DX Valkyrie. Now, Valkyrie is my trusty driver for making nice "S-shots" anywhere. Its only a faster and longer driver than Cheetah's type.

I think starting off with heavy weight is better if you are living in the area that are mostly windy or some strong ones sometimes and it helps you feel more power to throw it. When you able to control the heavy disc, then you can start experiment with lighter ones.

Good luck and keep throwing!!

:D

Adam --

Good point, I do enjoy trying different plastics and disc thought recently been trying out predator