• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Something between a Teebird and Zone

twistedraven

Eagle Member
I'm looking for a semi-OS midrange that can slot between my Zone and Teebird. It's an extremely niche slot in my game, because I can usually cover most shapes and ranges between the Zone, Envy, Teebird, and Firebird in my bag. Although sometimes I don't want the skip of the fairway drivers, the Zone is a bit too dumpy, and my Envy isn't quite OS enough.

I went ahead and bought a Stabilizer, because I remember loving it. I remember it does get sneaky distance, but I'm also open to speed 5 midranges that have a similar amount of overstability. My first guess was a non Lucid-X verdict, but is there anything else I should be looking at? For reference, I've found things like the Buzzz OS to be too much like the Zone, and the Roc3/X3 to be too much like the Teebird/Envy in stability.

I'd add Caiman and Neo Method to that list as well. But if you want something more overstable than a Roc3 but less stable than a Buzzz OS my best suggestion would be a Verdict. If you want a bead maybe a Malta, but I haven't thrown one of those so take that suggestion with a grain of salt.

Mortar if you can find one. I'm using a glow Gator in that spot right now. I use the FH-dump-under-the-basket approach on most holes and this same slot in my bag is critical to my game.

Excellent first idea. The Verdict has a similar feel of a Zone with a flat top and shallow rim but will go further with a bit more glide. I throw all those discs as well. Zone/Verdict/Teebird.

A2 is kinda there. But I beat up an ESP Zone and it's pretty glidey and a good 30' longer than a dumpy fresh Z Zone.

Big fan of the Verdict - although you may find that is almost as long as your TB

I'll 2nd the Quake. I bag a rubber blend zone that is barely a zone as far as stability once it breaks in but it comes in handy in a lot of situations for me for whatever reason. Buzzz OS is my max stability mid and the Quake fits between these 2 for me.

Yeah my initial plan was to just beat up my ESP Zone, because I love how it feels and how consistent it is. I'm an impatient man though.

It's not that I don't like Roc3s/X3s, but they're a little too straight for what I need. Same goes for EMac Truths. They're too similar to my Z Buzzz that's straight to fade.

Lots of recommendations for the Verdict, so I'll give it a go after I see what the Stabilizer does for me. Likewise the Quake.

The Verdict is a larger diameter mid, however - 21.7cm vs 21.2cm. I never really got used to the 'feel' when throwing Verdicts FH.

How does the verdict compare in Lucid-X vs Lucid? Does it become too dumpy or is it still a glidey kind of OS?

I see some nice Lucid-X ones, but I worry they'll start getting too close to Buzzz OS/Zone territory.

Last edited:
How does the verdict compare in Lucid-X vs Lucid? Does it become too dumpy or is it still a glidey kind of OS?

I see some nice Lucid-X ones, but I worry they'll start getting too close to Buzzz OS/Zone territory.

I sold my lucidX Verdict the first time it turned hard in mild headwind. It's the more stable plastic. Justice replaced in Lucid

I sold my lucidX Verdict the first time it turned hard in mild headwind. It's the more stable plastic. Justice replaced in Lucid

FH? A Verdict won't be as stable as a Zone and of course Justice. A Justice is a complete beefcake. A Verdict will go far still but maintain good stability. I had a big arm bud throw it and he ripped it about 400 feet. He throws TB's about 450 for comparison. I throw my Lucid Verdict 290-300, Champ Teebird 330-350 max rip. Z Zone goes about 250 maybe 260, don't really throw it max power though.

I think the OP would probably be happy with a Lucid X Verdict. I haven't thrown one of those in particular but other Lucid X discs. I really should get one myself. Though I feel happy with my regular Lucid Verdicts.

If the wind is really howling I just disc up to a FB or Justice. Justice goes about 240, BH flat release.

Last edited:
FH? A Verdict won't be as stable as a Zone and of course Justice. A Justice is a complete beefcake. A Verdict will go far still but maintain good stability. I had a big arm bud throw it and he ripped it about 400 feet. He throws TB's about 450 for comparison. I throw my Lucid Verdict 290-300, Champ Teebird 330-350 max rip. Z Zone goes about 250 maybe 260, don't really throw it max power though.

I think the OP would probably be happy with a Lucid X Verdict. I haven't thrown one of those in particular but other Lucid X discs. I really should get one myself. Though I feel happy with my regular Lucid Verdicts.

If the wind is really howling I just disc up to a FB or Justice. Justice goes about 240, BH flat release.

Hearing you get so much more distance out of the Verdict than the Zone gives me hope! I throw my Zones around 240-250 on a flat angle, and Teebird3s around 300-330 on a flat angle as well.

I throw a dx gator or base plastic zone in that slot. Stable enough to throw on my crappy side arm form without flipping and has some fade , but doesn't dump out so aggressively . I auditioned star caiman also but not enough glide for my taste. Base plastic zone is great thrown flat right at the target with mild headwind . Nice and straight, but doesn't turn over or dump out .Or mid range off the box where your favorite mid might turn over due to slight head wind. Love the dx gator for shorter fh up shots also. Dx gator in short supply right now. I also have found the soft putter blend zone to be right in the middle of stability of the zone plastics and super grippy for good spin on powered down fh up shots. Since you already throw a zone, experimenting with some different plastics may be the ticket. Easy to run into overlap filling that slot , so I went with the dx gator vs 2 zones in the bag. Rarely a full pull, more of a up shot kind of thing for me.

Latest posts