• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Something odd I found out about my game last week.

StarFirebird

Banned
I've been playing disc golf for quite some time and I've worn glasses for all of that time.

The other day It was so hot and muggy that my glasses were getting fogged up and I couldn't see.Even when I would try to wipe them within the next hole they would be fogged up again.I got frustrated and put my glasses in my bag and said to myself "well this will be a bad rest of the round".

To my amazement I was playing better.I was hitting holes better,hitting upshots better and hitting my putts dead on.It seems with my blurred vision,I tend to block out all the details on the course and just go for the gaps.When putting, the basket looks like a big solid trashcan.I can't tell a difference in each chain link so I just go for dead center.

Normally I average between 5 and 7 under par with my glasses.Now I'm averaging between 10 and 12 under par without them.

Kind of odd, right?

I have never worn glasses but it does sound counter intuitive that you would play better with impaired vision.

So maybe if I wear someone elses glasses to blur my vision I would be better? I wonder if squinting my eyes would work. In all reality though it makes sense. I hate even playing with sunglasses on.

hmm i wish i could try this when i take my glasses off i cant see S*$&.. really i mean i cant read or see anything a foot from my face :eek: .. i doubt i could even walk down the fairway forget about throwing a disc down it lol

Normally I average between 5 and 7 under par with my glasses.Now I'm averaging between 10 and 12 under par without them.

Um...as a side note, I don't know what course you normally play, but with or without glasses, if you are averaging that far under par you should be playing in Pro Worlds!

Or is this like message board distance? :confused:

Maybe you are grabbing the wrong discs out of your bag? :D

Um...as a side note, I don't know what course you normally play, but with or without glasses, if you are averaging that far under par you should be playing in Pro Worlds!

Or is this like message board distance? :confused:

The par on some of the courses around me is stupid high so if I played based on the listed par, I would probably be at least 14 under every time. I play it all as par 3 because it is just ridiculous if you don't.

I am pretty blind and I do certain things better without my glasses. Haven't tried discing yet.

lol at the Clark Kent reply. :thmbup:

My home course is all par 3's except for 2 holes.one is over 500ft and the other is over 400ft,both at par 4's.

I've been told I should play in tournaments again( I may eventually),but right now I don't feel like I'm at 100% still.Had a shoulder injury 2 years ago and I'm sill getting back up to speed on my game.

I believe the no glasses thing will help in that process.

I played better in a glow round than I did during a round earlier that day. Couldn't see the trees, so they didn't psyche me out. Plus, I was figuring distance by memory and feel instead of sight, and it was serving me better.

While i wouldnt suggest this on a course that you havent played before it works great on a courses you and more importantly your body knows what kind of throw you need. So taking away your eyes lets your body take over and do what it needs to do.

While i wouldnt suggest this on a course that you havent played before it works great on a courses you and more importantly your body knows what kind of throw you need. So taking away your eyes lets your body take over and do what it needs to do.

I'm going to try this no glasses thing at this new course in Morristown a few hours from my house.Been wanting to check it out.

That does make sense though letting the body take over instead of the eyes.Since I know my bag pretty well and the distances/flight that each disc will do, I may do really well.It doesn't hurt to try.I'll keep the glasses in my case,just to be on the safe side.