• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Sorcerer with amateur photography included.

SteezeOG

Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi
The Westside Sorcerer releases late tonight/tomorrow online so here's a few pictures and thoughts before you spend or choose not to spend.

Feels most similar to a Havoc for me so that's the profile comparison pic I chose to take.
Havoc is the pink opto, Sorcerer is the white VIP

2up48dk.jpg

Here's one of the rims from underneath.

sxdjqb.jpg

Both are faster discs than I normally throw but I have them in the bag cause it gives you street cred to have big fast drivers, regardless of skill. Fact. :|

I've thrown the Sorcerer some and gathered some additional perspective with friends while playing the last two days who do use the uber fast stuff.

It's not overstable and I wouldn't call it truly understable. It's as close to the neutral definition of just stable as you can get with something so fast in my opinion. There is a bit of very late high speed understability if you are capable of 450+ throws and have good form but it doesn't have the same flight as the Havoc. For me the Havoc turns then has a lot of fade whereas the Sorcerer does good at staying stable during flight, little late bit of turn, then a very small amount of fade.

Not for use in headwinds, it'll flip and do so quite easily. It's not Giant or World overstable but it's not as likely to turn as a Trespass or Havoc from what I can tell and have experienced myself. The glide is the last thing I have to add and it's truly a 6 like the rating says. So far it stays aloft longer than any of the other drivers I've compared it to. A new contender to distance competitions for sure.

Here's another pic of mine just because it's an awesome opaque white VIP with black stamp.

nyydh.jpg

I hate what I just read. I bag Havocs and thought I had my lineup set for spring.
Now you done gone blowed it up.

Ugh.

Was just going to start a Sorcerer thread and you beat me to it!

Got a red 176g VIP Sorcerer today at DD and once again I have to agree with most of what you say. I max out at around 425' but I was seeing just a bit of turn out of mine when thrown full-out like I did on #15 at Peter Pan, but otherwise I would agree that this is one straight/stable disc when brand new. It'll be interesting to see if that changes much once the flashing has worn off a bit.

Mold setup

Molds upper part is Westside World version 1.0, completed on 16 September 2013.

Molds lower part is Westside Sorcerer version 1.0, completed on 9 September 2013.

Molds and their copyrights are owned by Westside Golf Discs.

Shares the same top as the World and probably would pair really well with it. If I end up liking the World I think I will have to pick this up too. :D

Was just going to start a Sorcerer thread and you beat me to it!

Got a red 176g VIP Sorcerer today at DD and once again I have to agree with most of what you say. I max out at around 425' but I was seeing just a bit of turn out of mine when thrown full-out like I did on #15 at Peter Pan, but otherwise I would agree that this is one straight/stable disc when brand new. It'll be interesting to see if that changes much once the flashing has worn off a bit.

Sounds like you had a worthwhile trip. Definitely some turn but I don't know if I'd say it's a 0 or -1 for a rating. Probably somewhere in the middle of that. I think they fly a little more stable in Finland at the altitude so their numbers are a little off to our's.

Sounds like what the king was supposed to be!

According to the specs, the rim is a little on the shallow side, did you get that impression when you held the disc ?

The closest comparison I see would be an Innova Krait. Sounds like the flight is very straight as well like a Krait. Both have near identical specs with the Krait having a slightly deeper rim, 1.2 to 1.1.

According to the specs, the rim is a little on the shallow side, did you get that impression when you held the disc ?

It feels a little more shallow than the havoc but less of a slanted plus mold style rim. It's not overly deep but it's comfortable for me to power grip easily. It's not like a mamba or anything that shallow.

The closest comparison I see would be an Innova Krait. Sounds like the flight is very straight as well like a Krait. Both have near identical specs with the Krait having a slightly deeper rim, 1.2 to 1.1.

Interesting. I only had one Krait when they released and I tossed it in a pond but I didn't remember it being so fast or glidey. Spec wise though I'm sure you're right. I rarely look up the dimensions of things. I let my fingers do the talking. I might have been blind in a past life. I have convinced myself I can read braille. Can't though. Just bumps. :mad:

Interesting. I only had one Krait when they released and I tossed it in a pond but I didn't remember it being so fast or glidey. Spec wise though I'm sure you're right. I rarely look up the dimensions of things. I let my fingers do the talking. I might have been blind in a past life. I have convinced myself I can read braille. Can't though. Just bumps. :mad:

I lost the one I had too. I liked a lot because of the straightness and forward fade. Mine was a Champ 167. I might have to pick up both and throw them (after the snow melts and will probably be July at this rate). :doh:

Lol that's so lame. You probably have a pile of discs you haven't been able to throw. I wouldn't enjoy that. You should have an indoor putting league. That's where I'm headed to now. I'm leaving the Sorcerer at home.

I like to compare disc specs as Companies all measure speed, turn and fade all differently. You can't argue the actual specs. Westside always seems to rate their discs faster and more overstable consistently. As long as you know that going in you can get a better idea what the disc will fly like.

I like to compare disc specs as Companies all measure speed, turn and fade all differently. You can't argue the actual specs. Westside always seems to rate their discs faster and more overstable consistently. As long as you know that going in you can get a better idea what the disc will fly like.

Typically I'd agree with that. There are always certain factors that can come in to play like plastic blends and dome that will effect glide and flight some also but it's a great place to start. I usually pick one up and if it fits my hand nice I will throw it then go from there. If it's awkward in my hand I usually don't get to the throwing stage. I've tried to like discs that were weird in my hand and they never work out. The Fury and Mace are two perfect examples that I hated how they felt in my hand but bought one to try anyway. I gave away the Fury. Still have two Maces for sale.

Westside definitely has a little different numbering system but they test them in Finland and use the numbers they feel best represent the flight there. The higher altitude I'm told makes them more stable and longer in flight due to thinner air. I've never been I can't say.

Contrast and compare with Sword please, thank you so much, bye bye now.

Contrast and compare with Sword please, thank you so much, bye bye now.

That's very polite. It's a little faster, little more glide, and more high speed stability. Probably about the same fade. It's been a while since I threw a Sword but I don't remember them having a ton of fade. For a super fast disc like this though the Sorcerer has very little.

is it as sensitive as the sword?

Sensitive how? To wind? Or nose angle? To Oat? Well it doesn't like much of a headwind but it's not going to probably turn quite as much just because it's a little faster. Depends on your sword I guess. I only have experience with the TP ones. I haven't noticed it sensitive to nose angle but I've cleaned that aspect of my throw up a little bit. Bout the only thing going for me right now lol. To OAT, yeah if you got the torque toss going you should maybe look to the World. I tried to huck mine on an anny and it just stayed that way until it met the ground about 270 feet later. It likes hyzer or a flat toss.

I was thinking more of how some swords seem to only like a flat or close to it release.

I was thinking more of how some swords seem to only like a flat or close to it release.

So nose angle and plane then. Swords are great they really are. If you want to step up to the next speed a Sorcerer is a good option. Westside right now has nothing beyond a speed 12 that compares until this. I'm not trying to drain your bank roll though I don't care if you buy one or not. It is what it is. If you need something faster and you like a sword this is your best option for westside plastic pre summer. /drops mic Sorry I'm a little discombobulated.