• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Soreness

Autiger1291

Since I have been trying to vastly correct my form lately I have been trying to play very consistently. Usually about five times a week. My problem is that I can't play for more than two, maybe three days in a row. I just get real sore in my throwing shoulder and some surrounding muscles. After a couple days of throwing I almost always need at least one, many times two days of recovery. When I play I never throw more than sixty drives in day. If I am playing rounds I play one and a half at the most. Never two. Is this usual? Also do you have any suggestions for speeding up the rejuvenation process?

You have to be careful when playing that much. Like any activity, it's easy to over do it. Throwing again and again takes it's toll in a hurry and if you're not throwing correctly, then it's easy to injure yourself. If you're like me, you don't have 400' of distance, so when you throw, you probably put more into than you should, thus, you're really akin to a pitcher. You notice, those young studs in fantastic shape, don't pitch on sequential days, so you might want to vary up your play.

Stretching helps as well as ice and head - ice after, then heat.

Let's not jump to 'old' assumptions :lol: Just because we can't stay up for glo rounds in the summer. OK, us old guys can't take the beating, that's a given. But we do tend to have health insurance and better prescription meds, which is a good thing. If you're hell bent to play 5 days a week play one round a day, save those doubles for your weekend, and medicate accordingly. And most importantly, you gotta be willing to take a day or two off. Let's face it, getting over 'soreness' is a day or two, getting over an injury could take a season. And this idea is good for players at any age.

Stretching helps even more if you do it BEFORE you go out and play. Spend a good 5 minutes to really stretch your arms and your upper body (if you're 18 you should still remember the stretch exercises you learned in school). It will keep you from getting as sore and it will also help prevent injury if you mess something up. After you stretch it's also a good idea to play catch with someone for a few minutes or throw a few putters back and forth on the fairway to loosen up your arm.

That's what I do before a long day of disc golfing, and it hasn't failed me yet. Planning on a 9am-5pm day of playing today :D

For now give it a day or two and let your muscles heal. Don't stress them more than you have to. It'll probably just make things worse and it will affect your game.

sweeper said:
"Stretching helps as well as ice and head - ice after, then heat."

Yeah, heat is ok too.

remember, head first, then heat :lol:

Stretch daily, consider daily bannanas for the potassium, and turn a few of those play days into just short putting practice.

Thats assuming it's muscle. After 40 it's the elbow joint from moguls, mtn bike....

Autiger said:
Unfortunately only 18.

I wish I was "unfortunately 18" again. 8)

Anyway, stretching will cure most or all your ills. Do it before you play (most important) and afterwards. And don't just focus on your arms. Stretch it all out: legs, back, neck, etc. Muscles need that little extra room to perform and recover.

Take the time to do it.

I don't necessarily believe it, but I have recently read that stretching is vastly overrated (and perhaps even bad for you) and that an effective warm-up routine is much better for your body.

It goes against every bit of sports training I have ever had, but what I read sure sounded convincing. I'll dig around a bit to see if I can find the article.

Autiger said:
Also do you have any suggestions for speeding up the rejuvenation process?

You could take The MLB method and go with the Cream and the Clear.
:lol:

keeping yourself well hydrated also helps a lot.

If i think i've over done it and thrown waaay too much (is that possible?) I do the ice/heat routine and drink plenty of water that evening. I find that really helps with not being too sore the next day.

Six continuos years of DG now and 3 years 10 months in a row with DG discs and still a round and field practice of first 5 hours 20 minutes and changing location and then about half an hour. I'm sure glad I'm going to a beer festival tomorrow. If I can get up and move there. Ouch ouch ouch. Yeah I'm a DG bitch :) Tomorrow I'll imitate an iron bar.

A bit of pumping iron and not stopping playing for almost 4 years still leaves me achy. Except for several injury related periods and boy did those set me back. I've hurt each time after field practice during those 4 years. But I do it regularly and hard with hundreds of drives per day. More off days for me than you per week. Less drives would be more in reducing pain. You shouldn't really hurt a lot at all while driving one should stop when that starts to happen.

If you don't have injuries (maybe consulting a doc would help?) raising the amount training days reducing repetitions per day might be helpful. But first I'd take a break to see if you just haven't overworked your body. A week should suffice for that diagnostic aid. DG can definitely make you hurt with your amount of playing if you lack recent previous athletic background or are not in a great shape.

If you never have done weights, situps and back training start doing that but with very mild weights and amounts of repetitions and slowly increasing the reps and at first three months after starting to lift weights should you start to slowly increase weights. Even if you didn't gain any more power or D it still will give a measure of protection against injuries. A world champion has quit playing due to not being in good enough shape muscle strength wise vs strain of being a touring pro.

adidadg said:
keeping yourself well hydrated also helps a lot.

If i think i've over done it and thrown waaay too much (is that possible?) I do the ice/heat routine and drink plenty of water that evening. I find that really helps with not being too sore the next day.

I agree water is super important. I read part of a book about water and the human body, it was very eye-opening. Water helps keep our joints healthy and our muscles from tiring to quickly. So many people are dehydrated, and they think they are sick or are having pain, so they go see a docter and in turn they take meds and never answer their bodies cry for water.
After reading about water I began drinking close to 60-70 oz. a day (during the summer) and I feel awesome. I don't drink that much in the winter cause I am less active. But knee pain is gone and I feel more youthful. I stretch before playing also but I drink lots of water.

Jaysus said:
I don't necessarily believe it, but I have recently read that stretching is vastly overrated (and perhaps even bad for you) and that an effective warm-up routine is much better for your body.

It goes against every bit of sports training I have ever had, but what I read sure sounded convincing. I'll dig around a bit to see if I can find the article.

Most stretching that has been taught to most of us I've also read is bad (static stretches). From what I've read dynamic stretching is the way to go, only after properly warming up. Stretching cold muscles does absolutely nothing for you.

MDR_3000 said:
Jaysus said:

Most stretching that has been taught to most of us I've also read is bad (static stretches). From what I've read dynamic stretching is the way to go, only after properly warming up. Stretching cold muscles does absolutely nothing for you.

Exactly.

colombo117 said:
MDR_3000 said:
Jaysus said:

Exactly.

yea but i still stretch my hamstrings and my back. Then run around for a bit and maybe do some jumping jacks.

rodman20 said:
colombo117 said:
MDR_3000 said:
Jaysus said:

Exactly.

yea but i still stretch my hamstrings and my back. Then run around for a bit and maybe do some jumping jacks.

you should do it the other way around.

Latest posts