• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Soreness

MDR_3000 said:
rodman20 said:
colombo117 said:
MDR_3000 said:
Jaysus said:
I don't necessarily believe it, but I have recently read that stretching is vastly overrated (and perhaps even bad for you) and that an effective warm-up routine is much better for your body.

It goes against every bit of sports training I have ever had, but what I read sure sounded convincing. I'll dig around a bit to see if I can find the article.

Most stretching that has been taught to most of us I've also read is bad (static stretches). From what I've read dynamic stretching is the way to go, only after properly warming up. Stretching cold muscles does absolutely nothing for you.

Exactly.

yea but i still stretch my hamstrings and my back. Then run around for a bit and maybe do some jumping jacks.

you should do it the other way around.

ill give it a shot, never had problems with soreness though. I also start out with just driving my putters several times after doing the above. When i was playing regualr golf i had a very specific warmup routine and it has kinda of carried over into DG.

adidadg said:
keeping yourself well hydrated also helps a lot.

If i think i've over done it and thrown waaay too much (is that possible?) I do the ice/heat routine and drink plenty of water that evening. I find that really helps with not being too sore the next day.

Hydration is too easily underestimated by most people. 8 glasses of water a day is not enough for an athlete, unless you are petite and don't have a lot of body weight. 3-4 liters minimum is a good start. When your muscles are properly hydrated you get less sore and are less prone to injury. Of course if you wanted to go heavy duty you could take protein before bed and that would help with the soreness too. But it might also put on weight.

I'm careful when I get sore muscles to rest one or two days. It sucks when I have student who loves the gym when I wanted to rest my arm. But when I shoot some hoops or do easy baseball throws seem to heal the soreness faster then resting. It helps looses the tight muscles.

redspin17 said:
adidadg said:

If i think i've over done it and thrown waaay too much (is that possible?) I do the ice/heat routine and drink plenty of water that evening. I find that really helps with not being too sore the next day.

Hydration is too easily underestimated by most people. 8 glasses of water a day is not enough for an athlete, unless you are petite and don't have a lot of body weight. 3-4 liters minimum is a good start. When your muscles are properly hydrated you get less sore and are less prone to injury. Of course if you wanted to go heavy duty you could take protein before bed and that would help with the soreness too. But it might also put on weight.

Are you saying DGers are athletes?

mzuleger said:
redspin17 said:
adidadg said:

Are you saying DGers are athletes?

We're naturally atheletic.

bitch.

OMG, what a setup!

There still hasnt been made a conclusive answer as to if streching is helpful, harmful or somewhere inbetween.

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exercise-article/cressey-39-s-take-static-stretching/242886

(Not to say that the above link is better than any other on the subject. But just the fact that you can find advocates for all of the above stances on stretching suggests that we havent quite figured out how it works.)

Yes, that is what I'm saying lol.

rehder said:
There still hasnt been made a conclusive answer as to if streching is helpful, harmful or somewhere inbetween.

You're going to find this across the board with supposed advice for, yes, athletes. Studies will say one thing, and then another. Trainers and coaches will say different things. And physicians may come up with their own standards as well.

I think the bottom line is that unless you are going to spend the time to critique every study to see how scientifically sound it is -- you just have to make up your own mind by testing out the stretch and no-stretch for yourself. (Personally, I think helping really really helps.)