• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Carolina, January

IHearChains

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Looking for some opinions beyond the reviews.

I have played 199 courses (191 on DGCR, missing a few private/temp courses). I'm saving my milestone 200th course for something top-notch. I'll be in South Carolina in January and wondering what is the best and most memorable course in SC that is in good playing condition that time of year. I assume some higher elevation areas might be unplayable in January.

Here's the DGCR top 5:
Langley Pond DiscGolfPark
Canaan Riverbend DGC
Stoney Hill
Grand Central Station
Chester State Park - Advanced

What are my best options from this list or others? My favorites tend toward technical woods golf with hills and water hazards. Curious if Trophy Lakes would crack anyone's personal top5, because it might be closer than any of the DGCR top 5.

I live about 30-40 minutes from Grand Central and if you happen to be near it, I'd say it's worth a play.

I played Trophy Lakes this past January on a 70+ degree day, I left the state the next morning when it was 34. The course has LOTS a water shots but not in my top 20-30 of 400 played.

Looking for some opinions beyond the reviews.

I have played 199 courses (191 on DGCR, missing a few private/temp courses). I'm saving my milestone 200th course for something top-notch. I'll be in South Carolina in January and wondering what is the best and most memorable course in SC that is in good playing condition that time of year. I assume some higher elevation areas might be unplayable in January.

Here's the DGCR top 5:
Langley Pond DiscGolfPark
Canaan Riverbend DGC
Stoney Hill
Grand Central Station
Chester State Park - Advanced

What are my best options from this list or others? My favorites tend toward technical woods golf with hills and water hazards. Curious if Trophy Lakes would crack anyone's personal top5, because it might be closer than any of the DGCR top 5.

If you're considering Langley, why not just cross the river into Georgia and play the IDGC?

Don't worry about the higher elevations. There's not much difference in elevation or climate, for any of those. And only about a 1% chance of snow, on any particular day. (It would be a consideration in North Carolina, but not here in SC).

Trophy Lakes, in my mind, is next-tier, not quite on level with the courses you listed, but still very good. There is a climate difference there, though -- it can be 10 degrees warmer in Charleston, in winter, than the rest of the state. And it's a fairly unique course, with tons of water in play, for a memorable 200th.

After that, I'm biased. I live at Stoney Hill. That said, I'd put those last 2 a quarter-notch down from the first 3; very fine courses, but not as unique or memorable for a "200th".

- Langley Pond is the most challenging. It's also public, so available without reservation.
- Canaan is my favorite, although I heard that 2 holes were lost and replaced by 2 filler holes. I'm not sure of the reservation status right now; it had been only available on weekends but I'm not sure if that's still true.
- Stoney Hill has 2 overlapping 36-hole layouts, and if we can lay claim to anything, it's having more variety of shots than almost any other course. It's also only available by reservation, but that's available most of the time, particularly with advance planning.

Latest posts