• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Carolina?

War Eagle

Banned
Anyone live in south carolina in the columbia area, if so what is your favorite course. I really would like to get in a league this summer. I have enjoyed oak hill and love rock hill, but it is an hour drive.

I don't live in SC anymore, but did for several years. The best course in the Columbia area in my opinion is in Chapin (I-26 West from Columbia about 20 minutes). The course is Crooked Creek.

More downtown there is Earlewood Park, which is pretty good, too.

2nd. (I've played in Columbia a lot and those 2 are both great).

Columbia's most popular course is Earlewood Park, near downtown. It is a rather short but very fun course, owing to huge hills and trees, to the point it is favored by some top pros....and beginners.

Columbia's other course is Owens Field. It is much tougher, with both boomer holes (600'+) and very tight wooded holes. It is a course some love and some despise; you owe it to yourself to check it out to see how it suits your style.

Crooked Creek, in Chapin, is about 25 miles from downtown. It is a very fine wooded course. Note that it has 18 holes with dual teepads, relatively short but interesting. It also has an additional 8 holes that start, more or less, after hole 1 and come back in near the tees of holes 6 or 13.....so you can't just tack these on to your round. They are longer and more challenging than the standard 18. They also require a guide, so once you've played the 18-holer you should track down someone to show you these holes.

League play in the area currently consists of

* Wednesday night, random draw doubles at Earlewood, average attendance of about 20.

* Thursday night, randam draw doubles at Owens Field. Average attendance much lower (less than 10 I think, though I've not been there).

* Saturday morning, various formats at Crooked Creek.

If you venture to about 40 miles there are good courses in Orangeburg and, depending on your skill level and definitions of a good courses, Newberry.

Only played Earlewood once. I got to go down there with some friends this weekend. They all say ownes field is so easy, but they can boom there drive 350-400 easy. I strugle to get 300.

Depends on their definition of easy. In tournaments, scores at Owens average about 8 more throws than at Earlewood. (It used to me about 12, before construction projects shortened Owens). It's true that there are a few holes at Owens where big arms can really rip it.

In doing so, you dredged up some obsolete information. For anyone stumbling into this, Southeast Park has been added to Columbia's offerings, much more challenging than Earlewood and, depending on your preferences, probably Columbia's best.

Are there any courses around the PeeDee Area of South Carolina. Do you think people would travel to Darlington if the city built a course? I'm on council and trying to possibly build a course with a park we're doing.

The PeeDee is a bit of a disc golf wasteland---just a few courses. I've heard great things about Pim Farms, a private course near Darlington. An active disc golfer in Sumter put in a course.

Put in a course and you'll get some visitors.....but not a whole lot. Depending, in part, on the level and quality of the course. There's just not a lot of disc golfers close by.

My suggestion would be a family-friendly course, something for locals to enjoy. Sow the seed. It's a low-cost, low-maintenance park asset.

Are there any courses around the PeeDee Area of South Carolina. Do you think people would travel to Darlington if the city built a course? I'm on council and trying to possibly build a course with a park we're doing.

If the course is of a high enough quality I think people would stop in Darlington to play the course. Especially if they are traveling to the beach.

I live in Georgetown and certainly would make efforts to play a course in Darlington. If the quality is just okay I would probably just check it out once and then only when it is very convenient. If it is a high quality course (say something like Chester State Park which likely doesn't have a great local disc golf scene) I would make efforts to play regularly(at least once or twice a year and bring friends) a good model to consider could be Rocky Mount nc. I personally don't have many reasons to visit Rocky Mount. But they have 3-4 decent courses well Worth spending the day in town whenever I am in the area. Anyway I would be thrilled to see a course get installed in Darlington

If you plan to do this, please contact an established manufacturer and course designer like Harold Duval. Also visit some good established courses like Langley Pond, Pipeline and the IDGC for ideas. Luther Britt in Lumberton or one of the Columbia courses like Southeast are probably the closest good courses to you other than Pim Farms. If the course is in the woods, design it when foliage is on the trees! There is nothing more frustrating than playing a new course that was designed in the winter and the designer did not take into account routes where the weight of foliage on trees affect shots in the summer. The way for sustainability and participation is to have a realistic budget (which the top manufacturers can help you with), create an Arnold Palmer type design in golf where everyone can enjoy the course and maintain the course. If you could get participation in the area, maybe the Camden course could be a destination as well as Pim Farms and Coker. The Camden course is a good layout but not kept up very well.