• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spankin' New

cinks20

Just started playing this year and was reading up on what's best for beginners.
I am a RH BH

Discs are:
DC Force- Found it to be too heavy to start and a 2.0 stability so my shots were hyzering from nearly the minute it left my hand.

DC XL Pro D- Main driver, 0 stability 166g. Longer drives but still not where I need it.
Shark 170 for MR.
Millennium 172 MR
Millennium Putter

Dude, get rid of your drivers. The Force is for the Jedi's of disc golf, not the padawans. All it is going to do is frustrate you and teach you bad form.

Yeah, I just went there.

Must unlearn you will...

Depending on the Millenium mid (Aurora?)... you will get many recommendations to pick up a Comet and play Mid only rounds AFTER Watching some form videos and the try to replicate on the practice field...

The Shark will do but it will hit faster if you play both discs for the first few rounds.

The biggest improvement in form will come from either video of your shots OR someone who can diagnose technique and can put into terms you will comprehend what you need to improve.

All that said - pay attention to other players and watch release backwards (no point in learning run up/x-step if your release looks like a Free Throw) and try to get to a point where you know how the discs should fly when thrown as close to correct as you can get. If I were to recommend a 3rd disc it would be a Cyclone or possibly another mid... Go to a field and throw the 3 discs to learn what they will do. If you skip this step you are at risk of losing a disc on a course, but when you play try and play a couple of rounds of playing out at least two discs per hole...

I'm also new to the game but have become pretty obsessed already. My work schedule keeps me from playing as often as I like so in the 3 months since I picked up my first disc, I've played around 12-14 rounds. I'm constantly watching clinics and tutorials. I'm practicing form and footwork all the time in my living room or office. I use a westside northman as my driver (backhand) and on a decent shot I'm throwing about 300' but I don't feel satisfied. The people I play with are telling me not to worry about it and that I'm throwing well for how long I've been playing, but I am suspicious they are trying to be nice. So I guess I am asking for an honest take on my progression and if it's better to keep being hard on myself or if I should just be patient and trust I'll gradually improve with experience. Appreciate some brutal honesty.

Last edited:
I also feel the same way. My home course is a bunch of short holes with the longest being 310'. I went out yesterday and shot a +3. The guys I played with said I did really well for only having a month of playing under my belt. I also felt like they are being nice. I have tried several other hobby's (guitar, normal golf, bowling) and have given up because I feel like I never showed improvement and I am starting to get the same way with disc golf. I feel like I need to get better with my form but I don't have anybody that will give me any tips on improving. I need to upload a video to the help section of the forum because I don't know what else to do to improve my game.

Theres a lot of good options for people just starting out. You're first task should be learning proper form, and then start going to added distance. I did what you're doing - throwing drivers from day one and I regret it.
Theres not one magic disc for beginners, however I wholeheartedly endorse the X Comet for learning proper form. If you're not doing your part, an X Comet will let you know. Getting on in X is important though.

The leopard is also a good choice, but I wouldnt even bother with that until you're doing well with putters and mids.

Holy cow, new guys...pump the brakes.

You're not going to become a pro in a few months. Most of us here have been playing in practicing for years, just hoping to be mediocre. You'll get there, but it won't happen overnight. Enjoy the journey.

Grasshopper

One must learn to Walk, before they can Run...otherwise: :wall:

Great suggestions, and so true. Learning the form is everything which consists of the two parts- run up/X-step and the "lawnmower" release. Has been difficult to grasp both so far as discs are flying in different directions, and I am studying lots of video.
Thanks for the suggestions and will look into those discs

Holy cow, new guys...pump the brakes.

You're not going to become a pro in a few months. Most of us here have been playing in practicing for years, just hoping to be mediocre. You'll get there, but it won't happen overnight. Enjoy the journey.

Exactly my problem. I expected to put it all together in a couple of months and now realize how difficult the sport is. And along the way was not enjoying it as much as I kept pushing myself.
Breathe.....