• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

specs and rules to move DG from kids game to pro sport

Par is set for each player skill level. So blue level players have just as much chance to average under blue par on a blue level course as gold level players have to shoot under their par set properly for a gold level course.

Greens technically have no size in BG or DG. The scoring average for a scratch player can be mathematically derived with two parameters: the equivalent hole length thru a particular foliage density and a putting constant more properly called "shots near the hole". As pointed out, changing the 10m line to another distance will not change anything. Changing the ratio of disc to target size parameters will change the putting constant in the equation.

I'm not in favor of smaller baskets---well, not significantly smaller baskets---but I'll float a thought for consideration:

As I posted way way back, an alternative to narrower baskets is shortening the vertical dimension. Players would have to be much more accurate, up-and-down.

If this were a good idea, an alternative to the prohibitive costs, for tournaments only, would be a hood that fits over the top of the basket and covers whatever percentage of the chains is deemed appropriate. It could be removed post-tournament.

Just a thought.

I do not jump put. I dnot care if someone does. Did you throw from where your disc is? That's good enough. Seems like original post came from someone that plays ball golf and wants the 2 to be more alike.

I like disc golf. I do not play golf or frolf. I like buried baskets, raised baskets and other unique features you find when playing other places.

keep disc golf wild!

Par is set for each player skill level. So blue level players have just as much chance to average under blue par on a blue level course as gold level players have to shoot under their par set properly for a gold level course.

Greens technically have no size in BG or DG. The scoring average for a scratch player can be mathematically derived with two parameters: the equivalent hole length thru a particular foliage density and a putting constant more properly called "shots near the hole". As pointed out, changing the 10m line to another distance will not change anything. Changing the ratio of disc to target size parameters will change the putting constant in the equation.

It might change it but not for the better, it will just increase unlucky bounce/spit outs.

I'm not in favor of smaller baskets---well, not significantly smaller baskets---but I'll float a thought for consideration:

As I posted way way back, an alternative to narrower baskets is shortening the vertical dimension. Players would have to be much more accurate, up-and-down.

If this were a good idea, an alternative to the prohibitive costs, for tournaments only, would be a hood that fits over the top of the basket and covers whatever percentage of the chains is deemed appropriate. It could be removed post-tournament.

Just a thought.

This would probably the only changing the basket idea that I personally would support.

You guys *really* want disc golf to imitate golf?

fine

Once you throw a disc, from the tee, you are unable to switch out that disc until you hole out. This means you putt with whatever you drive with.

i disagree that baskets need to be cheaper- dg is already one of the least expensive activities to add to a park. i don't think "object targets" should be recognized at all by the ORG- too close to a strip of tape on a tree.

more on topic: have there been any tournaments held on bullseyes only? even small stuff in st louis?
Two of the holes on Akita's run had Bullseyes. Other than that I'm not aware of it. Gateway would have to do it as a promotional thing; 18 Bullseyes would be a huge financial investment for a one-off goof event.

Two of the holes on Akita's run had Bullseyes. Other than that I'm not aware of it. Gateway would have to do it as a promotional thing; 18 Bullseyes would be a huge financial investment for a one-off goof event.

I think Spencer Davis had one too when I was there.

If you restrict par to be more meaningful for top players, you ... virtually eliminate birdies for most holes under 300' as they would likely become par 2s.

That's a good thing.

In life, when a one matures and stops lying to oneself to make oneself feel better, only then can true improvement begin.

It's time to stop lying to ourselves by saying there aren't any par 2s for top players.

I guess I just don't get the argument against par 2 as a solution to the massive under par scores. You just take the "must deuce" holes and call them that. All you have to do is change numbers on Pro scorecards and there you go. You could decide to do that tonight and have it ready to go for the weekend. Instead there is seemingly more interest in the logistic nightmare and massive expense of changing baskets for Pro events. Why? If in the end the point is to reduce the big under par numbers, which one does that more effectively? A smaller basket might cause some putts to be missed; a lower par number does take away a stroke under par and does it across the board for everybody.

So par two is cheaper, easier and will be more effective. What's the downside? Oh, yeah. You can't birdie the hole. I guess I just don't care. You are talking about holes that you HAVE TO deuce to be in contention, so how proud are Open players of those birdies, anyway?

Really if it's going to be a change just for Open division (in keeping with "different game in Open so you can show it is somehow different") idea it doesn't effect the rest of us and won't cost us any money, so why should we care? It seems like the no-brainier solution to the problem.

BTW, the problem of the "approaching -100" scores seems like a World's issue due to the number of rounds they play. You can just cut down on the number of rounds if it's that big a deal.

Last I checked, I didn't draw caricatures of avian creatures on my scorecard.

Last edited:
Last I checked, I didn't draw caricatures of avian creatures on my scorecard.
We always used the term "deuce" on the pitch and putt because that was what you were doing. Calling them "birdies" implied an accomplishment that just flat out did not come with taking a two on a 160' hole. :|

That's all par 2 is. Take a deuce or die hole and call it that. Really for a MPO field where everybody is under par, there are holes you HAVE TO deuce to stay in contention. Calling them par 2 is just truth in advertising.

The other way (trying to make the holes actually harder to deuce) just isn't feasible given the expense. The only way it works is if a sponsor is willing to pony up cash for new baskets, landscaping, etc. to make the par 2 holes harder. I don't see any evidence that a sponsor like that exists, and waiting for them to magically appear accomplishes nothing. Par 2 seems to be the only way for us address the issue given our current restraints.

OR...maybe it's not really a problem and doing nothing is the totally sane and reasonable course of action. :|

The game was played like golf from 1965 until Ed Headrick made his rules for the game in his organization. Many of us didn't join because we believe in Democracy and not dictatorships. Trying to take this game back from pinheads who think disc golf courses are a place to get drunk and high on pot and meth is a challenge. I've been putting up with resistance from all circles for the 49 years I've been playing and designing courses. I work for government in agriculture. You probably do make more money than me. But I get to fish the best fisheries in the world. Its a trade off. Oh by the way Helena MT is the only town I ever heard of with a city government sanctioned Frisbee golf course running through downtown streets. Wildflower a disc golf event with thousands of attendees just celebrated 38 years. Some of us know how to market the original game before Ed's PDGA.

Last edited:
The game was played like golf from 1965 until Ed Headrick made his rules for the game in his organization. Many of us didn't join because we believe in Democracy and not dictatorships. Trying to take this game back from pinheads who think disc golf courses are a place to get drunk and high on pot and meth is a challenge. I've been putting up with resistance from all circles for the 49 years I've been playing and designing courses. I work for government in agriculture. You probably do make more money than me. But I get to fish the best fisheries in the world. Its a trade off. Oh by the way Helena MT is the only town I ever heard of with a city government sanctioned Frisbee golf course running through downtown streets. Wildflower a disc golf event with thousands of attendees just celebrated 38 years. Some of us know how to market the original game before Ed's PDGA.

What do you mean the game was played like golf before Steady Ed started the PDGA? I also have never seen or heard of anyone doing meth on a disc golf course. I am insulted that you would suggest disc golfers are meth-heads.

Hey Michael, kudos to you for playing this sport before steady Ed but I would really appreciate it if you would not accuse me and my friends of doing such things on the course especially when you and I have never met. Now if you would please, either contribute something meaningful to the conversation or crawl back to whatever rock you crawled out from under.

Oh and by the way...I've never touched weed or meth in my life. Beer I keep at home so you can take your little generalization and stick it where the sun don't shine.

The game was played like golf from 1965 until Ed Headrick made his rules for the game in his organization. Many of us didn't join because we believe in Democracy and not dictatorships. Trying to take this game back from pinheads who think disc golf courses are a place to get drunk and. . .

I would love to hear more about the early politics of disc golf. Ed Headrick was a great guy, but his word being law is laughable. I think the game could change for the better if there was less focus on how Ed would have wanted it. Friendly side note not a forum for drug discussion.

Some of us know how to market the original game before Ed's PDGA.

Not sure how I feel about Ed's PDGA, but I don't like the PDGA we have now.

There's nothing Ed Headrick did that keeps people from going out and throwing Frisbees at trees, by whatever rules they make up for themselves. In other words, the pre-Ed disc golf world remains untouched and unchanged.

Latest posts