• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

specs and rules to move DG from kids game to pro sport

Wildflower a disc golf event with thousands of attendees just celebrated 38 years.

I can't find any mention of this in a google search---remarkable for almost anything, let us alone such a successful event. Can you offer any links confirming its success, that we might learn from?

Not sure how I feel about Ed's PDGA, but I don't like the PDGA we have now.
The PDGA we have now is nothing like Ed's PDGA. Ed's PDGA was based on using events to promote his baskets so he could sell more baskets. It was advertising for DGA.

The game was played like golf from 1965 until Ed Headrick made his rules for the game in his organization. Many of us didn't join because we believe in Democracy and not dictatorships. Trying to take this game back from pinheads who think disc golf courses are a place to get drunk and high on pot and meth is a challenge. I've been putting up with resistance from all circles for the 49 years I've been playing and designing courses. I work for government in agriculture. You probably do make more money than me. But I get to fish the best fisheries in the world. Its a trade off. Oh by the way Helena MT is the only town I ever heard of with a city government sanctioned Frisbee golf course running through downtown streets. Wildflower a disc golf event with thousands of attendees just celebrated 38 years. Some of us know how to market the original game before Ed's PDGA.

If you are such a big deal in the disc golf world, going back so many years I ask again: how come myself, my father Dave or Greg Wermers have never heard of you? Do you work for Ted Mead? He was also a pioneer in Montana disc golf.

Also, I am from Missoula which is less than two hours from Helena. Ive never seen this magical course that runs downtown (but Helena is so hilly that it would make some cool elevation changes) and the only active courses in Helena right now are Deerknuckle (object course) and Hyzer Hills. The only tournaments I ever remember near Helena "back in the day" were the Burning Down the House events at the old Marysville temp course owned by Greg.

Nevertheless, I reiterate my position that disc golf is fine right now. Its okay not to be big timw. There was a huge boom around 88-94 with big corporate sponsors like Budweiser andWendys and still no one made a ton of money, not even KC.

Changing specs wont make the sport any bigger. Then again, Im also not opposed to par 2s for tournament play, provided its for Open players only and used sparingly and wisely.

http://helenair.com/news/disc-golf-grows-up/article_7018927c-d1d8-11df-879f-001cc4c03286.html

The first paragraph makes a vague reference about drinking downtown between holes.

This Michael bacon guy sure is good for the forums. I hope he keeps posting.

Thanks. That seems to be a pretty thorough article on the state of "folf"/disc golf in Helena, though it is a bit dated. Interesting that they didn't include "Wildflower a disc golf event with thousands of attendees just celebrated 38 years ".

Yeah, Mr. Bacon does have a touch for enlivening these forums.

I just got this PM from the Baconator. Not sure why.

michael bacon said:
I use my real name because I'm not hiding out. What does my pay rate have to do with golf? I give up pay to live in the area with excellent fishing and hunting. I lived in Portland and tired of meth heads running amok. I'm talking pro tournaments not everyday play on disc golf play. Do what you want on your time but if I'm putting down my Hard earned money I want skill and fairnes to best me not a drunken methed up monkey. I work for my money.

eeb7285ca50bd093711a5bdc3558b4f65af4680b373647cd0e6af02b290ab41d.jpg

The more I read the more Michael Bacon appears to be just another internet troll. Probably some dude sitting in his mom's dark basement getting his jollies off of irritating people on some random forum.

Shame I fell for it myself.

-Dave

The more I read the more Michael Bacon appears to be just another internet troll. Probably some dude sitting in his mom's dark basement getting his jollies off of irritating people on some random forum.

Shame I fell for it myself.

-Dave

Dont be shamed. When he first posted I was excited to meet another "folfer" from Montana's early discing days. When I started asking around to my dad and his friends and no one had ever heard of him, then I knew Id been had.

Nevertheless, he did bring up an interesting topic in an interesting way. But hey, I like our "kids game" just the way it is...and for the record, Ive never seen anyone on meth even near a disc golf course.

Dont be shamed. When he first posted I was excited to meet another "folfer" from Montana's early discing days. When I started asking around to my dad and his friends and no one had ever heard of him, then I knew Id been had.

Nevertheless, he did bring up an interesting topic in an interesting way. But hey, I like our "kids game" just the way it is...and for the record, Ive never seen anyone on meth even near a disc golf course.

I don't know about an interesting way, but there are definitely some interesting topics for discussion in this thread. I find it unfortunate that so often with these kinds of topics, they are either brought up in an adversarial way (like the OP did) or people react in an adversarial way.

We're all passionate about the sport. We wouldn't be posting on an internet forum dedicated to it if we weren't. As passionate participants, we all have ideas or thoughts on the game that we like to express. It would be really nice if we could talk about things just for the fun of talking about them, without every conversation breaking down into the equivalent of a fist fight. If it's not the "the game is broken the way it is, change it all", it's the "the game is fine, how dare you suggest even the slightest change" crowd getting their hackles up. Or the "don't tread on me" non-competitive players getting worked up about rules that really only matter to the competitive folks who play in tournaments, or vice-versa where competitive players get upset at people playing their casual games their own way. Not every conversation has to be taken as life and death, if I don't win this argument the world will end kind of situations.

Sometimes it's fun to discuss how an idea might play out without it actually being a hard line campaign to change the entire sport overnight. Hypothetical ideas can be fun without having to be a true goal for the sport.

I find it unfortunate that so often with these kinds of topics, they are either brought up in an adversarial way (like the OP did)
Which was precisely the OP's intention...

or people react in an adversarial way.
...for precisely that purpose.

To be honest, I like it when we can discuss matters about our game/sport that are a bit outside the box, but people like the OP seem to think that their theory holds more merit than the practice of others who have gone before them and have the cred to show that they actually tried.

Contrary to what you may see here, Michael, there's no great consipiracy against the "game."

We just want to have fun and throw some plastic. That's all there is to it, man.

Oh Michael-you're hilarious. Please continue posting away. Inform us our wrongs and help right the sinking ship that is called disc golf.

Viewing these post it really is new players showing contempt for those that spent decades promoting the game.
You know, I've been in for two decades. You've lost me, I don't know what you are getting at.

Do me a favor, give me your "dream." If everything went exactly like you want it to, what would happen and what would the sport look like in the end? That would help me understand what you are getting at here.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Viewing these post it really is new players showing contempt for those that spent decades promoting the game.

You could respond to me about this, guy. You seem to be ignoring the one guy here (i.e. me) who is from the same area and same time frame as you. Hmmm, odd...

I dont get how your OP makes the sport "better" though? Different, maybe....but why is everyone always seeking that "next level" jump? I dont see it ever happening. There would need to be a major paradigm shift in America for that to happen.

Not only that, but a bunch of new players fabricating their "years played" in their profiles, just to annoy.