• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Speed break in

I understand why but I just don't agree with this concept. If you want your disc to be a little less overstable, just buy a less overstable disc. I played a mini on a card with a dude that just bought a brand new Destroyer and he just kept driving it at max power, right into a tree to break it in. It looked really stupid to me. If a disc doesn't fly like you want it, just buy a different mold. It is sad that plastic discs lose their shape over time and change their flight characteristics. That's why I throw Vibram.

IF I want to accelerate the break in period of a new disc, I just have my nephews over to the house. Have them throw the disc around the yard, in the trees, against the side of the barn, into the road, against the parked vehicles...well, you get the drift.

That's why I throw Vibram.

Vibram rubber/plastic beats in also. Although it may take a little longer. I'm not really a big fan of how Vibram discs feel with a FH but honestly haven't had the chance to throw them as much as I would like.

Someone mentioned a Tern for a beat-in Destroyer replacement. That would be my suggestion.

a) remove flashing

Question. My first attempt at this resulted in the blade digging past the flash a bit in places. I removed a tiny bit too much plastic. This was on a Pro-Destroyer that I bought to be my overstable driver. Well, it's not overstable at all now. Did I remove too much material, or are some Pro Destroyers just not very overstable?

Question. My first attempt at this resulted in the blade digging past the flash a bit in places. I removed a tiny bit too much plastic. This was on a Pro-Destroyer that I bought to be my overstable driver. Well, it's not overstable at all now. Did I remove too much material, or are some Pro Destroyers just not very overstable?

you used a blade? sandpaper or even just scraping it on wood or concrete works the best. never use a blade.

Destroyers can be overstable, my pro destroyer beat into a really reliable straight disc.

If you want an overstable disc, you shouldn't shave/cut/beat it in before use.

Lol, shaving the flashing when you buy a new disc isn't cheating if it's only lightly. Also, I wasn't aware bending a disc a bunch of times is cheating :p

rules state something about intentionally altering a disc.... i dont know exactly what that means

rules state something about intentionally altering a disc.... i dont know exactly what that means

I also believe it says shaving flashing from an out of box disc up to a point is okay. I'd have to check.... I'll agree with you until I read it. :D

PDGA Rule Book 801.02 B said:
A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

I understand why but I just don't agree with this concept. If you want your disc to be a little less overstable, just buy a less overstable disc. I played a mini on a card with a dude that just bought a brand new Destroyer and he just kept driving it at max power, right into a tree to break it in. It looked really stupid to me. If a disc doesn't fly like you want it, just buy a different mold. It is sad that plastic discs lose their shape over time and change their flight characteristics. That's why I throw Vibram.

-This is the method that everyone is looking for. I had a beat DX teebird that I just loved for turning shots and I didn't like the idea of having to buy a new one every three months because I play in areas with tons of trees and it's almost impossible not to hit them on occasion. I bought a river which I estimated to be about the same and I couldn't be happier. turns just as much as my beat teebird and glides further. No need to break some discs in when there is another disc out there that already meets your needs.

-this being said I also now try to buy the most durable discs I can now so as not to have them beat in as fast. If you get used to throwing with the stability ratings already out there then you won't have to search for that magic beat in disc that allows you to throw your shots. If you can throw your shots without a beat in disc then you are more likely to be able to replace it later.

Latest posts