• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Speed Golf - T.C. Jester Park 38 min + 3

Bboycub

Who is game for playing tomorrow at T.C. Jester Park Houston, TX @ 9:00AM? Should take about 30-45min. Not your typical game. Learning to throw accurate on the run takes time. Come get your intro to Speed Golf :):) :D:D

Um, he's in Texas. I've run courses in Washington. Hope I didn't get in your way.
*but....you're from Texas and you've played here

A few years ago some speed golfers blew through our group a couple of times in a 3-day period. No 'excuse me', 'heads up', or 'do you guys mind?'. Just ran through throwing and were soon gone. I haven't seen them since, so I'm thankful that the practice didn't seem to catch on around here. Annoying as hell, like they owned the place, everyone else be damned. I never saw them until they threw in on us. Hope it wasn't you. :\

Last edited:
Funny thread in that 20 something years ago right before I gave up trying to play myself and some other track/cross-country runners from my college played this way basically because we couldn't throw. My throw count was probably a bit better than normal like double bogey golf... but I was fast. Wish I remembered our stroke/minute conversion.

Who is game for playing tomorrow at T.C. Jester Park Houston, TX @ 9:00AM? Should take about 30-45min. Not your typical game. Learning to throw accurate on the run takes time. Come get your intro to Speed Golf :):) :D:D

Great for timing, especially in tournament conditions.

:doh:

Obviously it isn't the case everywhere, but speed golf at 9 AM on a weekday on most courses around here shouldn't be too much of a problem.

A few years ago some speed golfers blew through our group a couple of times in a 3-day period. No 'excuse me', 'heads up', or 'do you guys mind?'. Just ran through throwing and were soon gone. I haven't seen them since, so I'm thankful that the practice didn't seem to catch on around here. Annoying as hell, like they owned the place, everyone else be damned. I never saw them until they threw in on us. Hope it wasn't you. :\

Jerks are jerks, these ones just happened to be playing speed golf.

I grew up in Washington. My dad retired outside Bremerton. Texas is this hot muggy place were I work till I can retire to the Pacific Northwest or a tropical island (my wife's choice).

I run Highland Road Park in Baton Rouge all the time. I play with just a Teebird and Aviar when I run. My best time is 23:22 but that's car to car (so more like 22:30 from first tee to last basket).

The formula I use is strokes + (minutes*2)

I could easily post a counter about all the slow jerks that pretend every putt is for pro worlds. Get over yourself slowpoke.

What's your format? How many minutes per stroke over par etc.

A few of our more athletic members play a speed round before regular dubs. As I recall, it is played with no time for lost discs (they're gone) and the expectation that movement is a fast trot at least. Not for me.

I play Blue Tee's @ T.C. Jester Park we have 3 par 4 holes and 18 par 3 holes. I treat the game like a tournament against myself every time. Do you how many miles your course is? Do you use a map my run app or something similar?

Southern Hospitality runs deep in my veins. I wouldn't have interupted your game in that way. I would have asked if it was ok first or I would have skipped the hole and played the hole ahead then gone back to the one I missed. At that point my time is ruined BUT it never gets me upset. A lot of the time I can't use my score/time because I had to share the course with others (obviously). I still get to run and throw. I enjoy throwing hard/accurately and then putting fast/accurately.

I can only really test myself, time and score, when the course is empty and I know it will be. Like in the rain, or when the grass is really high(tall grass=no skips), or like today. I took off work today feeling sick and am about to try and run and sweat it out. I'll post my Distance and Score. I shooting for 0 or under. I would love to run some Washington courses. I have friends in Cle Elum and Yakima and Bremerton...

Southern Hospitality runs deep in my veins. I wouldn't have interupted your game in that way. I would have asked if it was ok first or I would have skipped the hole and played the hole ahead then gone back to the one I missed. At that point my time is ruined BUT it never gets me upset. A lot of the time I can't use my score/time because I had to share the course with others (obviously). I still get to run and throw. I enjoy throwing hard/accurately and then putting fast/accurately.

This is what I do, or used to when I did this regularly at Tom Bass. The time isn't worth being a jerk over.

If you aren't Jim Davidson, last time I saw him he was doing speed golf. He's in darned good shape and is a very good player, in general.

I tried to run a Speed Golf event at Texas States one year, Neal Dambra tolerated it quite well, although I goofed up a bit on my markings around fairways (made his job harder). There weren't enough folks who wanted to do it back them. Matt Hall did it and netted $200 for his effort!

Ok, today was bad. I threw +1 on hole 1 and ended +8 after 21 holes. My time was 30:43min/sec. 3.25 miles 85 degrees feels like 100 with 70% humidity. It started raining hard on hole 15. I don't stop running other than to catch my breath. I carry 3 disc in hand, two Innova Grooves and one Innova Skeeter. After the tee shot I keep the next shot in hand so that when I arrive to the first throw I don't have to stop. I throw in mid stride. I try to throw far enough behind the disc so that I can bend down after throwing and grab the disc on the ground while running. If I hit it right I can normally step on the side of the disc and make it stand up enough so that I'm not touching the ground on every throw. ALL of my shots are flings. The putt shot is a series of side steps with a backhand or if the score is close I will pause for a second and take 1 deep breath and then shoot. I know this is not for everyone but I really am passionate about this style of DG. I have always had a lot of energy. I did my first Ironman in CA 2016 and feel like I can play a DG game for 24 hours straight on a Blue Tee or similar course. Mike Sale did it to raise money for schools shootings in CA.https://youtu.be/KHHxkE2VimEOn September 12, Mike Sale set out to play more disc golf holes in a 24-hour period than anyone in history. This is his story, played out at the Blockhouse Disc Golf complex in Spotsylvania, Virginia.