• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spider Lovin'....

chain-addicted

Banned
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Does anyone else here throw the Innova Spider? I have one and I seem to use it more than my 3 Rocs. When I first got this disc I couldnt stand it and it hardly ever saw the light of day. But now I use it on almost every approach shot. Do you own one?....

If so, what is your opinion of the Spider?

Mine was a glideless piece of crap with a purple cheetah mistamped on it 3 times.

I just snagged one from a friend last saturday. Played two rounds with it and love it. It feels the exact same as my KC aviar which is what I use for every approach, however the spider is more stable so if I am afraid I will turn the aviar over I can throw the spider.

I also left my putters in the practice basked at home by accident and had to putt a round with the spider. I ended up making some long putts without much effort as it is a little faster than my aviar.

I have been trying to learn to throw the roc and add it into my game however I don't need to learn the spider, I can just throw it.

my champ spider is a good supporting role player in my cast of discs. i dont keep it in my bag for most of my local courses, but i love it for low hyzers because of how overstable it is.

plus i jacked it up with a crappy dye job. :\

/me curses his noobness

my elite z buzzz is used for pretty much all of the shots i used to use the spider for.

Last edited:
I threw my spider for YEARS....when the Cro came out, it was almost identical. If you compare the 2 the only difference is at the very bottom of the bead the spider has an etxra "bead" where the Cro doesn't. I found that both fly nearly the same. Only reason I took out my Spider is the Cro came out in R-Pro, and I like the way the R-pro lands vs. Champ/Star plastic. Much less "skip". But you are correct, the spider does fly on a hyzer line very nice, with a good amount of glide!

I had a Champ Spider. I hated it. It never went straight or very far. I could throw a Roc and Shark a lot farther and accurate.

There are two schools when it comes to Mid. The larger diameter and the small diameter discs. The small diameter discs are faster and you can transition from them to drivers more easily. They penetrate faster so they generally do well in the wind (unless it's designed to be understable) and they work well on a low line. The large diameter mids in general have a ton more glide than a small diameter mid of the same stability. They usually need some height to work, but the distance you get is a lot more than you can expect from a small diameter mid. Most of the large diameter mids are older discs that were designed to be run in base plastics. The small diameter mids are newer molds that are designed to be run in premium plastics.

So it depends on what kind of disc you want. If you are the kind of player that likes a small diameter mid, the Spider is a really good choice. I prefer something with more glide, so I'm always going to use something with a larger diameter.

the Spider is my security blanket disc. I have had it in the bag longer than anything else. The Z Buzzz has made it less needed, but for shorty mids nothing is better. I keep a Spider and Gator for short mids and a Buzzz, Buzzz SS and Wasp for the longer mids.

Champ Spider

I use it for all my short hyzer shots - it behaves very consistently.

I have a champ x-out i bought dirt cheap.
I love it for short hyzer shots, and, when thrown w/ some anny and snap, does an excellent s curve. Very good tool to have in tight wooded fairways.

I have some nice spiders in my discaroo.

Some of the older 2nd run stamped ones
and a worn first run.

Sick pearly plastics.

My champ spider is the oldest disc in my bag. My buddies started using the Spider after they noticed how predictable it is. You have to try to turn this disc over and if it does it usually has that distinct fade at the end.

When I first was using the spider I would use it for hyzers (rhbh) or forehand rollers.

Now with the same disc I can do the same and more. Mine is beaten in a whole lot for champion plastic and it clearly less overstable.

Whenever I need a disc to fade back no matter what this is my baby.

Does anyone else here throw the Innova Spider? I have one and I seem to use it more than my 3 Rocs. When I first got this disc I couldnt stand it and it hardly ever saw the light of day. But now I use it on almost every approach shot. Do you own one?....

If so, what is your opinion of the Spider?

I bought one at the same time as I tried my first roc. The roc won the battle for a spot in my bag, so I gave the spider away. Lately, I've been considering replacing my DX Rocs with Elite Z Wasps. Similar discs, but the wasp seems to glide further for me and be more predictable. Not to mention the benefits of the better plastic.

Latest posts