• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spraying down the basket with spray bottle

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Watching 2021 Shelly Sharp tourney via the DiscGolf guy, on R1 hole 11 one of the players sprayed the basket with a mister bottle sitting underneath. What's this for? Holy water? Lube the chains?

The way it is supposed to work is that the last player to putt out sprays the chains and basket - on every hole. But if you watched the coverage it rarely happened and when a player did use the spray it was 'half heartedly'. I even saw one time where the last putter started to walk away, saw the camera, and turned around to spray the chains.

I am skeptical of surface-to-surface transmission of a virus from a disc to a basket and then from a basket back to a disc and from there to the player who owns the disc. Mechanically it's just awkward as heck, the surfaces are dry and not in sustained contact (edit: and the areas in contact are minuscule), they're exposed to the elements, etc.

However, everyone grabbing the same spray bottles with their grubby hands and gripping them firmly enough to use them to spray down a basket, and then tossing them down on the ground again. . . that's a vector. Hands are nasty. Any time I'm in a potentially bio-icky situation, I make a conscious effort not to touch myself above the shoulders with my filthy, icky hands. I would love to get some 3M petrifilms and incubate samples from the bodies of the spray bottles and see what grows there. I'm thinking it's all the things.

TL;DR: hands are gross.

Last edited:
I didn't get it. I would think everyone touching the same spray bottle is worse then a putter touching the chains and then the virus jumping from the chains that putter to another putter so the virus can jump from that putter to another hand. Seems a bit shortsighted.

We have to do this with some community items at work.

Procedure is...

1) Clean hands with sanitizer.
2) Use community item.
3) Spray community item with disinfectant
4) Clean hands with sanitizer.

Even if spraying the chains doesnt do anything, perception is crucial during these times as well.

Little things like that are a good look for disc golf footage in the public eye. It takes almost no effort.

It's important to do all the right things for perception and then go produce YT content with very bad social distancing and travel all over the place.

It's important to do all the right things for perception and then go produce YT content with very bad social distancing and travel all over the place.

Exactly. You are describing every day life currently.

If disc golf didnt take any precautions we would slam them, if they didnt play any tourneys, we would slam them.

Disc golf is allowed, tournaments are allowed, traveling is allowed.

Trying to find the middle ground isnt easy but at least they are trying.

Agree. Wash hands, keep distance, wear a mask in groups. But the hygiene theater of halfassedly sanitizing surfaces is absurd and counterproductive.

Great idea in theory, terrible in execution. It was a requirement for the Shelly Sharp. We tried it last year on tour and it was a disaster. With the slightest breeze, we got it in our eyes, mouth, etc. They are discussing using diluted bleach on tour this year instead of alcohol and that seems like an even worse idea. I don't want bleach blowing into my eyes while I'm trying to win an event. Seems like a huge liability. Which liability is heavier, COVID or bleach in the eyes?
Are they bleaching rims after each basketball shot?

Great idea in theory, terrible in execution. It was a requirement for the Shelly Sharp. We tried it last year on tour and it was a disaster. With the slightest breeze, we got it in our eyes, mouth, etc. They are discussing using diluted bleach on tour this year instead of alcohol and that seems like an even worse idea. I don't want bleach blowing into my eyes while I'm trying to win an event. Seems like a huge liability. Which liability is heavier, COVID or bleach in the eyes?

No, but they did attempt to keep all the players locked in at Disney World for the entire season.
Unfortunately there isn't enough money in disc golf to do that.

There goes your new shirt.

Latest posts