• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Springwood Players Course Final Redesign Decided! (maybe)

So it is your position that changing holes 11/12 and adding one more tunnel hole after is going to turn the tide and make Springwood popular? Because the rest of the course is already how you've described it, and very few folks are playing it. Don't see that happening. You've done virtually nothing to change it and haven't made it any safer. I'm not sure why you are going to such pains to point out the dangers to other players while ignoring the much more real dangers to other park-goers and civilians, some of whom AREN'T EVEN IN THE PARK! The present course, and the one with a few minor changes, HAS NOT made the course ANY safer! 13 is unsafe, always has been. Moving the tees a few feet won't make a difference. There's a trampoline on the other side of the fence along 13 that's just asking for a diving disc to land in while kids are playing. The tee for 3 is in the fare way for 2. Holes 3 & 4 are still quite hazardous to folks on the softball fields.
A big reason why nobody is playing the course much is there are random tees and wrongly numbered holes everywhere, it's a mess. I'm actually surprised to see as many people out there playing as there are whenever I'm there. I don't think the popularity of the course is going to ever reach cedarock proportions though, it's just not a good park for an 18 holer. I HATE combining 11 and 12 into one more long straight hole with woods on the right. That's pretty much every hole out here, open straight with woods on the right. You're right about 13 not being very safe still. There's not really anything you can do about making a safe hole there unless you have a seriously short hole. I was hoping they (Owens, Avillion, etc) would move both tees past the slope and pines so it's a midrange shot at worst from the longest tee. Hole 3 is awful and anybody that is for that hole should feel bad.
FYI, here is your map for the Finalized Plan.
Hmm, I'm not sure but I think hole 15's blue tee stays put AFAIK.
i don't think anyone is saying that doesn't look terrible. because those soccer field holes look pretty bad
My updated review certainly won't be pretty when this is all settled, not that it's pretty now.
Fact is, installing a course at Springwood was a bad idea from the get-go, and NONE of the redesign proposals even begin to address the fundamental problem, which is that the park is simply not suitable for an 18 hole course, and may not even be suitable for a 9 hole course.
Yeah, 9 short holes concentrating around the main fields between the 2 sports complexes was the way to go but unfortunately the parks folks got sold some snake oil about big tourneys and big tourism dollars being brought in and they're still drinking it. Most of the traffic is from college kids from nearby Elon and it's down the road from a good PIAS, plus a more kid-friendly course would give little siblings something to do when their big sister is playing softball, so a rec-oriented 9 holer was really a no-brainer.
Agree with this 100%. I just wish the parks department would just find a more suitable facility for a course. But after all the issues they have had with this one I bet they'll stay away from disc golf for a while.
Actually, part of the big rush to get this redesign finished is so that they can get started with putting a course in at Mackintosh Marina park. :\

Coupe, I know you didn't have anything to do with this course, and I wasn't saying you redesigned it. I was speaking more to the entire crowd who was crapping on my proposal. I have no bitterness towards you. Don't know where you got that from.

And Brother Dave and I are actually pretty much on the same page here. We have the same complaints, he just was the one who posted the "plan" to finish this thing. But I think we disagree on why its unpopular. I know some folks are looking for fireworks, but it ain't gonna happen. Springwood is a bummer and I only go there when I have no time to travel or I might get called home quickly. And blame me for wanting more from a course so close I have to drive by it every time I drive home. As a player, it's heartbreaking. How awesome would a half-decent course be? That's why I probably give a darn more than most.

Actually, part of the big rush to get this redesign finished is so that they can get started with putting a course in at Mackintosh Marina park. :\

WHAT!? A another course even closer to the Red Oak Brewery?
Now maybe they'll put in a Tap Room!!! :thmbup:

Latest posts