• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Squall squall

I got a Matt Bell Squall in today and got quite a few throws with it. Defintely a bit more stable than I hoped for. Roping shots out to 325' easier than an aftershock. It would hold a turn from a little anhyzer but wouldn't flip up or turn as easy as i hoped for. Rim has a chunky, substantial feel to it which I really like.

Could easily see using it as a short fairway but not as a finger comet.

I got a Matt Bell Squall in today and got quite a few throws with it. Defintely a bit more stable than I hoped for. Roping shots out to 325' easier than an aftershock. It would hold a turn from a little anhyzer but wouldn't flip up or turn as easy as i hoped for. Rim has a chunky, substantial feel to it which I really like.

Could easily see using it as a short fairway but not as a finger comet.

What plastic is the Matt Bell sig version?
From what I have seen, Squalls fly best in Proline

Can a Comet and Squall co-exist in a bag together? Or is it too much overlap?

Can a Comet and Squall co-exist in a bag together? Or is it too much overlap?

I bag a Squall and a Tremor. The Tremor is Comet-ish, and I prefer it over the Squall for certain turnover lines, particularly the later turning lines. The Squall needs more speed to get it to hold a turn, so in the woods, both discs serve their own purpose. If it was a more open course, I might consider bagging both a bit redundant, and just carry the Squall. But I've been throwing Squalls for several years, and I've only had the Tremor for a couple. So if you're a longtime Comet thrower who can get them out past 300', I'd say the Squall might not be very useful for you.

Throwing one in the bag. Currently have a Quake, Magnolia and M4. Hopeing this disc can fit in there somewhere, while also filling a leopard type of role.

Throwing one in the bag. Currently have a Quake, Magnolia and M4. Hopeing this disc can fit in there somewhere, while also filling a leopard type of role.

The Squall is the definition of a utility disc. It's so unique that it can be hard to fit in a bag, but every once in a while a shot comes up that it is perfectly suited for. I especially like it for low ceiling shots that are difficult to reach with a mid and would otherwise require a powered down fairway driver.

I guess what I'm saying is, a Squall is a Squall and nothing else is.

The Squall is the definition of a utility disc. It's so unique that it can be hard to fit in a bag, but every once in a while a shot comes up that it is perfectly suited for. I especially like it for low ceiling shots that are difficult to reach with a mid and would otherwise require a powered down fairway driver.

I guess what I'm saying is, a Squall is a Squall and nothing else is.

That's why I like throwing it, it's a tweener. There are shots in the woods where a mid is too short and a fairway too long or stable. The Squall is perfect for those shots and other mid shots.

That's why I like throwing it, it's a tweener. There are shots in the woods where a mid is too short and a fairway too long or stable. The Squall is perfect for those shots and other mid shots.

I use it on what I'd categorize as 'long comet' type shots. I don't throw it often but it fits a need in my lineup for midrange distance on a driver line.

I've had Squalls in storage for years and years. Finally, I took one in my bag about a year ago because my friend wouldn't shut up about them.

It's really a great dependable disc.

I've had Squalls in storage for years and years. Finally, I took one in my bag about a year ago because my friend wouldn't shut up about them.

It's really a great dependable disc.

Same. I've been going through storage out of boredom and a desire to get back into the game. Every time I throw my Squall Squall, it's like, man, how did this ever leave my bag?

For courses with tight gaps and bad rough, this type of disc is indespensible. Sits right in between the Archer and a new Warship for me. A full tick longer than a beat Buzzz at the same power. A bit more shape than my stable Warships and about as long.

I have it on standby depending on the next course.

Had only thrown SP squalls and didn't really understand the "hype" if you can call it that. Picked up a stock p-line and tour series about a month ago and really like them. More turn out of the box than the sp really a dependable line shaper so far! I get why Shasta Chriss loves them.

Latest posts