• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SRU Course - Slippery Rock, PA

Pigme

So I've heard rumors of Slippery Rock University putting in a disc golf course of it's own but can't seem to find out much substantial on it. Beyond just some words through the grapevine this is all I could get but it sounds like it's the real deal.

Construction of an SRU Disc Golf Course - $5,000;

Plans submitted by the Slippery Rock Outdoor Adventures/Sports Club to create a 12- to 18-hole Disc Golf Course could be turned into reality by the start of fall classes, according to Jacob Sheaffer, a professional studies major from Salisbury who is leading the project.

Plans submitted to and approved by the Green Fund Advisory Board and SRU President Robert Smith call for the project to be built in the Ski Lodge-campground-intramural field area of campus with little or no environmental impact. The $5,000 grant will provided for the necessary poles, baskets and related equipment necessary to play.

Plans call for including environmental information at "hole" locations.

The SRU course will be constructed similar to a popular course at Moraine State Park, and will offer both a beginners' loop and an advanced/expert section.

Proponents of the plan have pointed to the added outdoor, year-round exercise the course will make possible for SRU students, faculty and staff as well as the local community. "It will also give players the chance to see nature as they play through and near the wooded area of campus," Sheaffer said. "Disc Golf is a low-cost way to get exercise at the same time you are having fun."

Equipment needed to play will be available free from the Robert N. Aebersold Student Recreation Center.

Here's the document I quoted the above from:
http://rockpride.sru.edu/2009/RP041009/GreenFund3.html

Does anyone know anything else about this? I might be able to volunteer some time towards the project if it needs help. Honestly I'm just excited to have another course going in :)

This was the first layout of the course...I think the front 9 has changed since some of us expressed our thoughts/opinions to J Gary. The back 9 won't be looked at until next year. The front will be installed this month, before the kiddies come back.

Slippery-Rock-routing-v3.jpg

Here's a more recent version. You can basically ignore the Back 9 for now, as construction has changed plans for the course.

picture.php

Interesting...I like the changes. I wasn't a fan of the original #7 that was on the other side of the road. Plus, they wanted us to transplant all the trees that needed cleared for the fairway. Holes #3 and #7 are going to be the bees knees.

Yeah, I think they make the course a lot better. At the very least, they substantially reduce the basket-to-tee walks. You're right about #7 and #3 being potential signature holes. The new #2 will be pretty fun, too, as it's a Par 4 that allows you to just bomb it with a big open area down the middle but thick forest to the far left and the dorms to the far right.

Also, #6's basket is now going to be on top of the crown of the hill where the #7 gold tees were (they were just shifted to the right a little). #6 is a Par 5 where you have ~300' to to get around the corner of the fence, and then a straight shot up the steep hill about 500' to a basket that's sitting on top of the dirt mound. It's a pretty cool and intimidating view from the landing area up to the basket. I think the hole will be challenging but fair as a Par 5, but we'll have to give it a test run :)

Finally, I and others hated the tee shot of the old #9 as a Par 4, and J Gary ended up changing it. As a Par 3, it is safer (for pedestrians) and offers a neat hole in which you're throwing down a slight slope maybe 350' toward the basket with some high-grass danger areas coming into play.

Also, #6's basket is now going to be on top of the crown of the hill where the #7 gold tees were (they were just shifted to the right a little).

Other than the hills on the back nine, isn't that the highest point on the front? That will look awesome as your driving down the road and see that pin sitting on top of that hill. Hopefully it doesn't get struck my lightening.

Other than the hills on the back nine, isn't that the highest point on the front? That will look awesome as your driving down the road and see that pin sitting on top of that hill.
Exactly.

Hopefully it doesn't get struck my lightening.
Sounds like you just signed up to make the first tournament logo :)

Does anyone know what would happen if a basket were struck by lightning? I don't think I know. Maybe the anchor would get all messed up? Would the basket be more or less fused to the anchor?

On second thought, I think there is a small windmill right behind the basket. Perhaps that would take most of the lightning strikes?

I know there was a lot of concern about whether or not this course was going to be designed strictly for a "Worlds" bid and that it wouldn't be to beginner / college friendly. With the changes I see on the course map I believe some of those concern will be taken care of. Plus, the back 9 will offer a completely different feel than the front will. I'm super excited for this to happen. I can't image having two world class courses within 10 minutes of each other.

And another thing...this course will just give me another reason to visit my favorite brew pub. http://northcountrybrewing.com

From the desk of J Gary Dropcho

SRU Outdoor Adventures director Steve Roberts confirmed that the front nine baskets have been installed! Temporary tee signs will be put up soon, and the course is playable.

More information at the ARC recreation center (behind #4 green).

Design work on the back nine should begin this winter.

this looks pretty sweet. i go play moraine all the time, so i should come out and play slippery rock next time im out that way. if anyone can come play a game on a sunday or monday pm me.

Latest posts