• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Beast or Champ Beast

My first ace ever was with a Beast L, so I still have some love for the mold, but the "Beast X" or "old mold" or "original mold" has always been my go to driver. The old pearly Pre Barry Beasts are the most versatile discs I've thrown, and it is a shame that the mold was not available for nearly a decade.

My first ace ever was with a Beast L, so I still have some love for the mold, but the "Beast X" or "old mold" or "original mold" has always been my go to driver. The old pearly Pre Barry Beasts are the most versatile discs I've thrown, and it is a shame that the mold was not available for nearly a decade.

Yeah, years ago I bagged the old champion Beast Xs. They were made of indestructible plastic and had great flight characteristics. Fairly flat discs that reminded me of the Flash. For a speed 10 they were really long. Granted, at the time they were also about the fastest thing out.

Beast Ls are domier and just seem slow. They really are like a faster Roadrunner. Same rim. I won't call it a useless disc, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Beast X.

I don't have a slot in the bag for Beasts anymore, but I do have fond memories of them from long ago. Everything I did with a Beast then I do with a Surge now.

Yeah, years ago I bagged the old champion Beast Xs. They were made of indestructible plastic and had great flight characteristics. Fairly flat discs that reminded me of the Flash. For a speed 10 they were really long. Granted, at the time they were also about the fastest thing out.

Beast Ls are domier and just seem slow. They really are like a faster Roadrunner. Same rim. I won't call it a useless disc, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Beast X.

I don't have a slot in the bag for Beasts anymore, but I do have fond memories of them from long ago. Everything I did with a Beast then I do with a Surge now.

I found a pearly 1x beast (no ink, nobody else on the course) many years ago. Absolutely loved that disc. When they came out with the L mold, I dropped it from my bag and went with the Z Flash. The slightly domey ones were an identical flight. Then Flash went OOP and I'm back with beast x. A champ and a dx cover most of my open drives.

I found a pearly 1x beast (no ink, nobody else on the course) many years ago. Absolutely loved that disc. When they came out with the L mold, I dropped it from my bag and went with the Z Flash. The slightly domey ones were an identical flight. Then Flash went OOP and I'm back with beast x. A champ and a dx cover most of my open drives.

Yeah, the Flash and Beast X were about the same disc for me. Both have high speed turn, but will fade late in flight. With the Beast L it turns over and never seems to come back. It seems like a mold made for beginners. I could push Beast Xs and Flashes over 400'. The Beast L will go that far too, but its a sloppy flight with a lot of lateral movement.

You notice no Innova pros bag the Champion Beast.

You notice no Innova pros bag the Champion Beast.

With the exception of a handful of pros, speed 10 and 11 really appears to be a forgotten range.

This made me think of a question: how many pros carry and throw a Valkyrie? I think a few women do, but I can't think of any men that do.

Anyhoo, point being that a good number of Innova discs that are popular with the casual/amateur players won't be found in (m)any pro bags...

With the exception of a handful of pros, speed 10 and 11 really appears to be a forgotten range.

I'd agree. Some Innova pros throw Wraiths though. No one seems to throw anything speed 10. The only speed 10 disc I bag is the Champion Starfire. Great for precision drives and it has enough stability to be ripped hard.

If I had to bag another 10 speed it'd probably be the Orc. The Krait, Mamba and Archon seem to be largely ignored.

I don't think any pro men carry Valks, I'd agree there. I haven't bagged a Valk for years. Good driver, but I don't have a ton of use for it. If I bagged a speed 9 it'd be a Thunderbird.

I'd agree. Some Innova pros throw Wraiths though. No one seems to throw anything speed 10. The only speed 10 disc I bag is the Champion Starfire. Great for precision drives and it has enough stability to be ripped hard.

If I had to bag another 10 speed it'd probably be the Orc. The Krait, Mamba and Archon seem to be largely ignored.

I don't think any pro men carry Valks, I'd agree there. I haven't bagged a Valk for years. Good driver, but I don't have a ton of use for it. If I bagged a speed 9 it'd be a Thunderbird.

Sexton is pretty famous for being an Orc thrower. After him, I really can't think of anybody else throwing something speed ten.

Besides Barry Schultz can't think of another beast thrower. But he seems to be very proficient with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always felt Champion plastic is harder to throw far compared to star plastic as a slow arm thrower. A few of my strong arm friends all throw Champion plastic.

I just wish they'd make a glow x mold already. It is the only disc that has been missing from my glow bag for years!! And I know I could attach an LED or glow tape, but I'm old fashioned with my glow bag and prefer glow plastic

Sexton is pretty famous for being an Orc thrower. After him, I really can't think of anybody else throwing something speed ten.

Seems like everyone started bagging the thundy, then stepped up at least to the Wraith or higher.

If Innova comes out with a BeastX, I'd definitely be willing to try it as an alternate step up. Assuming it was something like a 10/5/-1/3. I would like a little more glide than the orc/PD ala the destroyer/wraith.

Seems like everyone started bagging the thundy, then stepped up at least to the Wraith or higher.

If Innova comes out with a BeastX, I'd definitely be willing to try it as an alternate step up. Assuming it was something like a 10/5/-1/3. I would like a little more glide than the orc/PD ala the destroyer/wraith.

Beast X has more high speed turn. Probably 2. Healthy fade though. Its one of those discs that likes to turn, but also likes to fade noticeably at the end of flight. Big S curves.

More high speed turn than an Orc.

I'd say the Beast X is more like a Flash.

The GStar Beasts were actually the first plastic released when they brought the old mold back. All of the star beasts that I have seen, aside from the one, are all the "L" mold. The old mold Beasts are now being sold as "Beast X".

I thought it was DX when they changed the stamp. Or, should I say, that was the first time I noticed the change, well before they changed Champion and I don't recall seeing any G* until after that as well.

I thought it was DX when they changed the stamp. Or, should I say, that was the first time I noticed the change, well before they changed Champion and I don't recall seeing any G* until after that as well.

I'm pretty sure it was the G* first. I have been wanting an x mold glow for years and have been waiting and hoping that Innova would bring the mold back. I remember about 3 years ago seeing Marshall Street listing G* as "old mold" and "new mold", both with same stamp and flight numbers. Don't recall seeing DX at that time.

In regards to flight numbers, the "L" mold is a 10/5/-2/2, and I still don't think that Innova has adjusted those ratings on the "x" mold, however, I would say it is at least a 10/5/-2/3 or possibly even a 10/5/-1.5/3. They definitely have more LSS than the "L" and I would argue a little less turn.

Anybody see any Star Beasts molded in the X configuration yet? All the Star Beasts I've seen locally are still L mold.

Old thread but I'm looking for guidance. I got a DX Beast about 2 weeks ago not an X. I can hyzer flip the ish out of it for about 350', but if I throw it with any power flat I just turn it right over. Flick shots, unless I really power down, will also just turn right over. So, this brings me to my question. Should I go up in plastic to champ to get something a little more over stability, or Beast X, or should I ditch the beast and upgrade to a Wraith? What's your opinion? Just a little more info. I've been playing 2 year. I throw my beast 330-350 hyzer flip. I have a 4x destroyer I throw about the same, but it goes flat to hyzer, and I never get any turn out of it unless it's a head wind. I feel like im close with the destroyer, but just don't have that little extra arm speed needed to really get the full potential out of it. I also flick my drivers, not the beast, about 300-320.

Old thread but I'm looking for guidance. I got a DX Beast about 2 weeks ago not an X. I can hyzer flip the ish out of it for about 350', but if I throw it with any power flat I just turn it right over. Flick shots, unless I really power down, will also just turn right over. So, this brings me to my question. Should I go up in plastic to champ to get something a little more over stability, or Beast X, or should I ditch the beast and upgrade to a Wraith? What's your opinion? Just a little more info. I've been playing 2 year. I throw my beast 330-350 hyzer flip. I have a 4x destroyer I throw about the same, but it goes flat to hyzer, and I never get any turn out of it unless it's a head wind. I feel like im close with the destroyer, but just don't have that little extra arm speed needed to really get the full potential out of it. I also flick my drivers, not the beast, about 300-320.

First, I like your Wraith upgrade idea. Get a lighter weight, maybe a Pro Wraith. Awesome disc.

Second, talking only the Beast. You didn't say what the weight was, so maybe max weight DX is indicated for you. Also, yes, you can upgrade to Star or Champion if you like those plastics, and decide what weight you like best, etc. Something is bound to hit your sweet spot.

350' is about the top end distance you can expect out of a DX Beast. Time to upgrade. Wraith is a decent idea.

You might also try to find a champion Beast X. They're a bit beefier than the DX Beasts. A champion Beast will do 400' with a nice S curve flight.

Grab a Champ Beast. All Beasts produced now are the X-mold, though in another Beast thread here somebody says they only make the Champ and Gstar now).

It'll give you a little extra stability but not too much to make it a meathook. You'll be able to get 350' forehand and backhand with ease provided no flaws in form.

A Champ Beast is a different beast than an L-mold. Both are good and have their charms but the X will be a better distance driver.

Latest posts