• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Katana

You don't have to pay for your entry fee though, being sponsored and all.

However, even $300 still wouldn't cover expenses for the 2 weeks, unless you're living with friends.

Yea..................we don't get entries paid. Just a key few like Nate and McCabe.

We do get free discs though and I sold nearly $400 worth at worlds which was way more than my payout.

Yea..................we don't get entries paid. Just a key few like Nate and McCabe.

We do get free discs though and I sold nearly $400 worth at worlds which was way more than my payout.

what "team" are you on? im sure the world or elite get there entries paid for don't they? isn't it true you guys get a check of X amount if you place Y in a certain teir?

what "team" are you on? im sure the world or elite get there entries paid for don't they? isn't it true you guys get a check of X amount if you place Y in a certain teir?

I am on the Z team which is the higher up guys but below Nate, Eric, Barsby, Cale, and Cam.

Anyway Idk about what they get but from what I read on the team site it is only 50 more discs although I know Nate has a small salary and gets entries paid for.

We do get 10 discs for winning a C-tier, 25 for 1st and 10 for 2nd in a B-tier, along with cash bonuses for top 4 at an A-tier or higher.

I have been sponsored for a long time and have only gotten 2 events paid for and that was when I was and AM. Paid for AM worlds and Mid Nationals in 05'

I am on the Z team which is the higher up guys but below Nate, Eric, Barsby, Cale, and Cam.

Anyway Idk about what they get but from what I read on the team site it is only 50 more discs although I know Nate has a small salary and gets entries paid for.

We do get 10 discs for winning a C-tier, 25 for 1st and 10 for 2nd in a B-tier, along with cash bonuses for top 4 at an A-tier or higher.

I have been sponsored for a long time and have only gotten 2 events paid for and that was when I was and AM. Paid for AM worlds and Mid Nationals in 05'
well thats pretty sweet, yea I golfed with a guy that tour'd with lopez and mcCabe....he said he always has to sit outside the factory while they go in and pick his goodies :p ..........sponsorship would be a cool thing, even if you DID just get plastic for the sponsorship...but you can always sell that (like you said) and make good enough money off it!

So has anybody actually thrown the Katana yet? If so, what's your opinion? There's a store near me that sent out an email today that they just got 'em in this afternoon, and I might go buy one in the morning if they're supposed to be quality.

So has anybody actually thrown the Katana yet? If so, what's your opinion? There's a store near me that sent out an email today that they just got 'em in this afternoon, and I might go buy one in the morning if they're supposed to be quality.
I like my pro Katana. Flies straight for quite a way and gets there fast.

Threw Chase's once and had heard that it was real flippy so threw it with a lot of hyzer and about 90%. Went real far and stood up from the hyzer, slowly turned and glided for some decent distance.

I would never use something with that little HSS but I could see players with less power being able to use it better than most wide rimmed discs.

I like my pro Katana. Flies straight for quite a way and gets there fast.

i've found with the flippy discs (sidewinder & SL) proper weight is key....

what weight do you use and what relation to your "normal weight" is your katana.

(i want to save buying 1, only to immediately realize i need it 2-3 grams lighter or heavier.)

I throw a 166 Champ Sidewinder, and probably would get optimal throwing out of a 168.
I throw a 167 Star SL and really need to get a 170. <- I love this disc.... It's a much improved sidewinder (distance) but sometimes it catches the wind wrong and never flips back.... and i have a tendency to throw with too much power (for it).

suggestions?
(Will be getting a star katana... i want the extra speed kick and stability.)

Threw Chase's once and had heard that it was real flippy so threw it with a lot of hyzer and about 90%. Went real far and stood up from the hyzer, slowly turned and glided for some decent distance.

I would never use something with that little HSS but I could see players with less power being able to use it better than most wide rimmed discs.

I pretty much love the Champ version of this disc. For someone with my arm speed, throw between 330-370, it is the best distance driver I have ever thrown. I agree though that someone like you would just flip that bad boy over way before you could utilize what it does.

I want to get one, but I don't care too much for the Worlds stamp, kinda boring if you ask me.

i've found with the flippy discs (sidewinder & SL) proper weight is key....

what weight do you use and what relation to your "normal weight" is your katana.

(i want to save buying 1, only to immediately realize i need it 2-3 grams lighter or heavier.)
I don't have much arm speed but I let a bigger arm throw it and with little wind he had it S-ing out there around 330-350. He did have a little trouble into the wind with the thing turning over and staying to the right (rhbh). I have a Star 172 coming early next week. For me though the 168 is just perfect for my arm speed and power.

I throw a 166 Champ Sidewinder, and probably would get optimal throwing out of a 168.
I throw a 167 Star SL and really need to get a 170. <- I love this disc.... It's a much improved sidewinder (distance) but sometimes it catches the wind wrong and never flips back.... and i have a tendency to throw with too much power (for it).

suggestions?
(Will be getting a star katana... i want the extra speed kick and stability.)
Let me throw this Star 172 first but if I were you I would try a heavier Pro version, mabey the 175.
On the SL, is it getting beat up and turning right on you?

I don't have much arm speed but I let a bigger arm throw it and with little wind he had it S-ing out there around 330-350. He did have a little trouble into the wind with the thing turning over and staying to the right (rhbh). I have a Star 172 coming early next week. For me though the 168 is just perfect for my arm speed and power.

Let me throw this Star 172 first but if I were you I would try a heavier Pro version, mabey the 175.
On the SL, is it getting beat up and turning right on you?

I think it's getting to be "perfect beat up"...it naturally likes to turn over... so with too much power it really turns, but without enough, it fades....
my problem is that it's too light and i dont have quite enough snap to fully control it when i throw super hard......and if there is a slight wind, it will go forever, but only come back super late.(way off line) - Hard Snap counters this, but i dont have it. Its faster than its rating, and i know if i just get a heavier weight a lot of my problems will go away.

I originally bought it "light" (my my standards) in my efforts to overcome the increased speed and get longer distance. My regular weight is 170, but this one is 167.

I'm wondering about the Star Katana, because my guess is that it will provide me with exactly what i get out of my SL, but a tad farther and faster. (But weight is critical!)

*** For all those reading this, the SL is a slightly technical disc to throw and not beginner friendly... It is a little bit fussy. But when you throw it right, its an immediate "wow factor" and major step up from your Sidewinder. <- When thrown right, its my longest disc.

Last edited:
I picked up one for SpringDG and myself at the dynamic Discs tournament. Ill post how they throw tomorrow or Monday

So I threw my champ second run 169g katana today and to tell the truth I was expecting more of a meathook, being a 13 speed disc and that the highest speed I throw was 9. This thing wasn't tough at all to throw and I don't think deserves the 3 fade that it was given for a rating by innova.