• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Katana

Funny thing is I don't notice this hugely fast speed difference, maybe it's because my form isn't great maybe not. But my local shop owner did say "don't think of it as a speed, so much as a range." Which he did get the idea from Joe's flight chart.

For anybody in San Francisco, the Sports Basement at 16th and Bryant has a stack of Star Katanas in stock for only $18 each, ranging from 169-175g... there were like 8 left yesterday after I snagged a couple. Cheapest price I've heard of, plus I got another 10% off thanks to having a Costco card. Sports Basement rules!

I got to try out my new star Katana today, and it seamed more overstable than even the champ ones that I've thrown. It has a realy flat top, noticable when next to another plastic one. So far I like my pro ones best.

For anybody in San Francisco, the Sports Basement at 16th and Bryant has a stack of Star Katanas in stock for only $18 each, ranging from 169-175g... there were like 8 left yesterday after I snagged a couple. Cheapest price I've heard of, plus I got another 10% off thanks to having a Costco card. Sports Basement rules!

6 hours is just a little too long of a drive for a disc:p, but good looking out.

I went to Cedar Rock today and played two rounds from the long tees. This course is very open so it was the first time I actually got to throw the Katana. I was amazed! I shot a 58 and a 60 which is probably 10 strokes better than the last time I was there! I even parked a 488 foot hole! (downhill slope) The best thing is that it is actually a finesse driver. I got a 168g and I don't have to throw it any harder than my Valk, just slow and smooth and that things bolts out of sight. It goes so far so fast though that sometimes I would lose sight of it and have to look for it for a few minutes, that is a problem I can handle though! I fought with myself over buying this disc after buying the Groove and Boss which both didn't work out for me. However I am so glad that I caved in!

Last edited:
I went to Cedar Rock today and played two rounds from the long tees. This course is very open so it was the first time I actually got to throw the Katana. I was amazed! I shot a 58 and a 60 which is probably 10 strokes better than the last time I was there! I even parked a 488 foot hole! (downhill slope) The best thing is that it is actually a finesse driver. I got a 168g and I don't have to throw it any harder than my Valk, just slow and smooth and that things bolts out of sight. It goes so far so fast though that sometimes I would lose sight of it and have to look for it for a few minutes, that is a problem I can handle though! I fought with myself over buying this disc after buying the Groove and Boss which both didn't work out for me. However I am so glad that I caved in!

You've convinced me...:D

i threw my champ today and it was blowing my pro destroyer and star destroyers on avg of 20'+ ..biggest difference was 50'. it flies so damn good. thrown flat it tracks right a bit then finishes left. its going in the bag along with my new halo's:)

review....

2 weeks later, many hours of play, and 1 serious practice session in a park....

This is still a straight shooter. It's broken in a tad, but it still flies straight and lands straight. With a slight headwind it still flies straight.

The turnover is a little more than an "out of the box" disc, but its like a well beat in wraith.... and it flies straight and has a very small fade.

it's still an instant distance disc...

take your favorite wraith and replace the fade energy with the disc continuing straight. (you can throw away your sidewinder, this is the same disc, but farther.)

I still recommend this disc for any Noob. It's instant distance..... But the distance isnt anything other than the disc flying straight... it doesnt give you "instant distance" and help with OAT (off axis throw), and bad form.

You guys may want to think about the weight if you get one. I have a few of them ranging from 168-175 and although I throw 175 in all my teebirds, valks, putters, I still am a lot more accurate with the 168g Katana. I think because of the super wide rim it is easier to throw in a lighter weight.

Again though that is just my experience and I may need to add that I dont throw that hard, more of a finesse thrower.

Last edited:
Yeah, but when it stopped, did Lord Helmet's head get jammed into the electrical console?

Nice. :hfive:

spaceballs_large_02.jpg

i met some friends for a round today at my local course and one of them got a Star Katana for Xmas so i finally had a chance to throw one.

the first thing i said after i threw it was "i have to get one of these, tomorrow". i drove with it about half a dozen times and several of those were my longest drives ever on those particular holes.

i love this disc.

Can't wait to get mine, although the weather isn't looking to great around here and I probably won't be able to throw it right away.

I have both champion and star, the star is the one that made it into my bag. The star is a little less stable in my opinion, which is perfect for me as it throws just like my Valk, only longer.

Last edited:

Latest posts