• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Plastic at Academy Sports And Outdoors

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was at my local Academy Sports And Outdoors yesterday, and they had quite a new selection of Star Plastic starting at $14.99. They also had Monarchs starting at $12.99. If you have an Academy near you , check it out.

There's an in flight near me (Lansing, MI) that doesn't understand the plastic. They had esp avenger for $14.99 and a pro D buzz for $17.99. I pointed it out to them and the clerk tried to lecture me about the different grades of plastics. I just laughed and left. But if you like Discraft ESP plastic check em out you might get it cheap.

There's an in flight near me (Lansing, MI) that doesn't understand the plastic. They had esp avenger for $14.99 and a pro D buzz for $17.99. I pointed it out to them and the clerk tried to lecture me about the different grades of plastics. I just laughed and left. But if you like Discraft ESP plastic check em out you might get it cheap.

Please tell us what the clerk said. I have to hear this.:D

Oh we went round and round for a few. The first thing she said was, with a very condescending look, "you know there are different grades of plastic." I then proceeded to pull three pro D discs off the wall all with different prices, she didn't beleive me that the soft magnet was still the economy grade of plastic. She also didn't seem to think that it was odd that the guy at the park was charging less than half her price for the Buzz but $2 more for the ESP. The old me would have continued to argue the older and wiser me decided to post it on the web and laugh. lol

Old school thread bump...

We visited an Academy in Pensacola FL and I wanted to say that if you dudes are into Millineum then they are worth checking out.

Omega SS for $8.99 (including blacks which people seem to charge more for)
Orion LF/LS in Sirius for $12.99 (again blacks too)
Polaris LS $8.99
QJLS for $12.99

Pretty good prices.

Wow, the one we visited had Xcals and star aviars.

We have one here and it has the XCals and Aviars in Star. Then, I think they have the Monarch, Beast, Valkyrie in Champion as well. I did see a sweet Black Omega SuperSoft that I should have bought, but I don't throw them.

Academy's pricing is weird for sure. I got a star aviar and super soft Omega putter for $8 each in Oklahoma City. The next week, my friend stopped at Academy in Ft. Smith AR and all of their discs were $6.99 Stars, Champs, everything. It pays to give them a look.

Are there any big chain stores that sell Discraft?

I know first hand that Academy only has Innova and Millenium where I'm at.

The next week, my friend stopped at Academy in Ft. Smith AR and all of their discs were $6.99 Stars, Champs, everything. It pays to give them a look.

Wow, I haven't been this lucky at one yet. I think I payed $12.99 for a 150 Champion Valkyrie.

Will for sure check it out when I got up to Arkansas next. I pass right thru Fort Smith

Wow, I haven't been this lucky at one yet. I think I payed $12.99 for a 150 Champion Valkyrie.

Will for sure check it out when I got up to Arkansas next. I pass right thru Fort Smith

Not sure if it matters which store in FTS or not. I'll ask her what street it was on and IM or post here.

I'm glad I asked her. It was in Little Rock, not Ft. Smith. Located on Markham. If you check Ft. Smith anyway, let me know if it's the same.

Academy's pricing is weird for sure. I got a star aviar and super soft Omega putter for $8 each in Oklahoma City. The next week, my friend stopped at Academy in Ft. Smith AR and all of their discs were $6.99 Stars, Champs, everything. It pays to give them a look.
This just exemplifies why we should buy our discs from a disc golf specific retailer or another player who actually knows the plastic, rather than these general sporting goods places who don't know bupkus about it. Of course, I can't begrudge the purchase when the pricing error is in one's favor.

I remember walking into a Scheels' in Des Moines once and finding FLX plastic for $22.99. Pity the poor fools who actually bought any.

online shopping = way better & cheaper especially when there are $30.00 thresholds for free shipping

Latest posts