• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Plastic

goforparguy

Star plastic has its advantages and disadvantages I think.Also for the price.Recently I had a Star shark 180 and I wasnt too impressed with the plastic.After that purchase I bought a Cro 170.Now as with the lesser weight I found the Star Cro was all it was said to be having more flex,grip etc.The shark at 180 seemed maybe to stiff due to the weight.I think this can apply to a driver and putter also,besides a midrange.
Thoughts or opinions

I honestly don't notice that much difference between plastics. Maybe I'm just not good enough but I've played with dx, pro and star discs. There's a definite difference between dx and pro but I didn't notice much change from pro to star.

I like the star plastic, but I also like champion. I find I grip it as well as I do Star. I have never really thrown the pro much. I love the durability of the star and champion and only use dx for putters and discs not made in the other plastics.

It's twice now I had something in this space to provide our intelligant minds but I forgots and hafta work tomorrow.Umnmm, I did see some flurries and wanted to go throw but I just gotta think 1 more day and maybe :)

So its like this,when you take into consideration all the differant elements that I have to play thru(rain,snow,mud etc.) its just nicer to have a disc that has that sure grip feel when your about to throw verses it slipping and going in a bad way.I think I can say that is what we look for in a disc.All depending of course on the cost.
Happy New Year and be safe all.

Star plastic has its advantages and disadvantages I think.Also for the price.Recently I had a Star shark 180 and I wasnt too impressed with the plastic.After that purchase I bought a Cro 170.Now as with the lesser weight I found the Star Cro was all it was said to be having more flex,grip etc.The shark at 180 seemed maybe to stiff due to the weight.I think this can apply to a driver and putter also,besides a midrange.
Thoughts or opinions
Star plastic has a pretty wide variation from run to run. It can be pretty stiff and slick like Pro or it can get pretty gummy and flexible. The mix of plastic isn't magic, sometimes they get a little too much of something or not enough of something else in the mix and the plastic sets up slightly different. It just sort of depends on the run you get.
There are a lot of variables when you are making an injection molded plastic product. When you are making a dish to microwave food in, nobody really notices the variation from run to run. When you make a golf disc, everybody notices the slight variations as they can have a huge effect on how the disc flies. It has always been that way, and I don't expect it will change any time soon.

First Run Star Cro's are really flexy and gummy, and the regular production ones are as well (just not as much).

I have have two different Star Wraiths, both 175, and they feel totally different.

Star plastic has a lot of run to run varience.

I like the feel of Star plastic (and it's equivalents from other manufacturers) better than the Champion, but I'm against it on general principle. It's cheaper to manufacture than the Champion plastic, yet they charge more for it. I'm sure I'll get a star something-or-other some day, but I'm not a huge fan of that economic decision.

I like the star plastic but i prefer champion over anything the durability of it is amazing and stars plastic has tremendous durability to but i prefer champion personally ive noticed that the star plastic is a bit girppier and might be able to preform better then some champion plastics but thats just wat ive noticed! also pro plastic is amazing ive been able to produce the most distance accuracy and control with this gift from the disc golfing gods!

Super tacky to necro this thread.

But c'mon people, be a little more abrasion resistant.

Should he have started a new thread to show his love for Star plastic? Make a new thread on an old topic and people get upset. Search and post in an old thread and people get upset. What's a guy to do :confused:

Should he have started a new thread to show his love for Star plastic? Make a new thread on an old topic and people get upset. Search and post in an old thread and people get upset. What's a guy to do :confused:

not worry about star plastic and throw grippy champ/z :thmbup:

people are learning search

I think the problem with this thread is simply the topic

star???

edit: it's so 2008

Last edited:
Im not too big of a fan of star but with that being said for some reason all my distance drivers in my bag are star (3 of them) and everything else is champ or dx. Never did like anything else but star for distance drivers.