• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] STAR Thunderbirds... why are they not in production?

dekdo

Double Eagle Member
would really like to see them released as a regular production run.. and im sure many others would too..

innova please make this happen

I don't really know the real answer.

Innova hasn't added a Star plastic production to any mold since Gstar released. They are probably just pushing that plastic. I certainly hope that in the future they will start running more star again.

They are definitely not running much star these days. There have been a lot of cases of old stock star being sold in retailers with new production stamps on them. So at least some of their plastic orders are being filled with old stock on hand and not new plastic. We'll see if that trend continues. In the meantime keep rifling through the shelves of your local brick and mortars, you might luck into some awesome old star.

I've got one of the Star Thunderbirds, they're sick. Not very overstable, much more like a faster Teebird. It's going to beat it really really nicely over time.

Because they'll sell like hotcakes the second they're dropped in the factory store.

Back to my conspiracy theory about how they're running out of one of the additives they use to produce regular star plastic and they can longer get it (or no longer at the previous cost). Maybe the cost has gone up and it's cost prohibitive to sell it at wholesale prices, but they can still make money on it selling direct through the factory store. Anyway, that's probably all so much baloney, but I have definitely noticed as has been said that there have been no new discs in regular production runs of star for a long time. I've also felt some recent "Star" that felt a LOT like GStar, so I was a bit suspicious of it.

I've also felt some recent "Star" that felt a LOT like GStar, so I was a bit suspicious of it.

I was thumbing through the Star Aviars at GGGT and I noticed this too, the flight plates are retardo flimsy on the new alleged "Star" ones. My beaten-to-Hell-and-back San Marino Star is substantially stiffer than these new ones. Hopefully this is not an ominous foreshadowing of things to come

Back to my conspiracy theory about how they're running out of one of the additives they use to produce regular star plastic and they can longer get it (or no longer at the previous cost). Maybe the cost has gone up and it's cost prohibitive to sell it at wholesale prices, but they can still make money on it selling direct through the factory store. Anyway, that's probably all so much baloney, but I have definitely noticed as has been said that there have been no new discs in regular production runs of star for a long time. I've also felt some recent "Star" that felt a LOT like GStar, so I was a bit suspicious of it.

I was thumbing through the Star Aviars at GGGT and I noticed this too, the flight plates are retardo flimsy on the new alleged "Star" ones. My beaten-to-Hell-and-back San Marino Star is substantially stiffer than these new ones. Hopefully this is not an ominous foreshadowing of things to come

CE3PO.

You heard it here first:popcorn:

I've seen this with several different molds at gggt.

I never really noticed it until I checked through the Aviars... I gravitate towards Champion-type plastics anyway though, probably why I didn't notice sooner.

I think it is more to push the G* plastic. Why mold new star plastic when you clearly have an apparent drove of old star to sell off and you're also trying to force-push your new plastic in the market. From a business standpoint it makes no sense to mass produce star discs right now when you have a similar plastic. I bet after while more discs become molded in star and released wholesale.

I would be all in on a production run

That's what I'm sayin. At least release some F2 star thunderbirds on the proshop.

I could care less about gstar plastic, it's too soft.

I'm starting to warm up to GStar slowly, it just doesn't react as quickly as I'm used to. But loving my TB3.

I know that California has the toughest plastic manufacturing standards in the world. Phalates (sp) probably have something to do with it. Also the reason why gummy champion plastic went the way of the dodo bird.

Being affiliated with a company in the manufacturing business, CA is the hardest to do bussiness with and stay compliant. Can't imagine the manufacturing hurdles involved combining plastics in CA.

Innova isn't "forcing" G-Star into the market.

Especially considering they sell like hot cakes and every other manufacturer is scrambling to release their own version.

The idea that Star will go OOP seems a bit overboard. Innova is at the mercy of the plastic industry. They can only get what's available.

Bottom line, they make too much money and create too much hype, when they do limited releases on their Pro Shop.

Pretty clear that the blend for Star is either running out or getting too expensive for them to run in regular production.

G-Star is NOT a replacement in my mind.

My conspiracy theory: Not sure if people have noticed but most of the recent Pro Shop Star releases are swirly Star which could maybe the product of using up old/leftover stock. Granted, I have no idea how the plastic arrives or what steps it goes through. But it just seems a bit odd that every pro shop star release is swirly as ****.

There's no current reason for Innova to produce a normal run of star until the demand for champ and gstar dies down. Running limited/cfr runs for star = more money.

I would consider Innova forcing it on to the market, when they were releasing there first run discs in it for some time. I'm not hating, I do carry one gstar and have at least one other I've used, but I prefer stiffer star like plastic, which is why I'm transitioning to other companies because frankly I find it appalling to go the pro-shop route for something I like.

There's no current reason for Innova to produce a normal run of star until the demand for champ and gstar dies down. Running limited/cfr runs for star = more money.

This. I pretty much said this earlier.

I have 2 star thunderbirds and they are AWESOME! I like gstar plastic but it's NO replacement for regular star.