• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] STAR Thunderbirds... why are they not in production?

Hope some of you saw the restock of star thunderbirds yesterday. They are sold out now.

I missed my chance to pay $7 for shipping :(

So buy 4 of them. If you only want 1, sell the other 3 for $30 each for an easy profit. Also, you can use the $8 worth of points you'd get from those 4 towards your next order and have free shipping.

I'm not sure why all the hate towards the Innova Factory Store on DGCR. Really, it's pretty easy to make an order for $75 to get free shipping since there's a bunch of collectible discs on there you can turn around and sell for at least as much as you buy them for. Pad out your orders with McPro Aviars; those you can always sell at a profit in my experience.

Simply put, why run production run star thunderbirds when the factory store runs sell out within hours of being put up on the site. Instead of innova making wholesale price on discs they make full price. Until people stop buying the cfr star thunderbirds like they are golden tickets, regular production run won't come out. But, we all know that will never happen. Too many people buying from the factory store to flip for profit.

Simply put, why run production run star thunderbirds when the factory store runs sell out within hours of being put up on the site. Instead of innova making wholesale price on discs they make full price. Until people stop buying the cfr star thunderbirds like they are golden tickets, regular production run won't come out. But, we all know that will never happen. Too many people buying from the factory store to flip for profit.

I'm with ya here, it's akin to scalping tickets IMO.

Buy 'me up to resell at a profit = LAME. This is disc golf, only way to end this is DON'T BUY FROM MARKUP SCUMS!

Got to hand it to Innova though, in a negative way, their marketing and repackaging of products as different is brilliant.

Innova enables this sales ploy fully by not releasing their product evenly and timely.

How about the folks who can't afford a $75 disc bill just to have one disc, there are lots of us out there who aren't into scooping up just to resell and profit from others misfortune.
Some folks need to get a real job, sorry.
I won't support it.

you don't get chunks in star? I have. I know it's way more durable but it's not like champ.

usually, but I've had some star discs that feel like they are covered in olive oil

Yeah, all my star is pretty slick. The older star plastic is super griptastic though.

So buy 4 of them. If you only want 1, sell the other 3 for $30 each for an easy profit. Also, you can use the $8 worth of points you'd get from those 4 towards your next order and have free shipping.

I'm not sure why all the hate towards the Innova Factory Store on DGCR. Really, it's pretty easy to make an order for $75 to get free shipping since there's a bunch of collectible discs on there you can turn around and sell for at least as much as you buy them for. Pad out your orders with McPro Aviars; those you can always sell at a profit in my experience.

you can see the other side, right?

I dislike the factory store due to the rough prices and shipping. I want to try one star thunderbird. I don't want to pay $75 and then deal with the hassle of having to sell discs. Innova doesn't get my money on this stuff anymore...I'm sure they couldn't care less.

Buy 'me up to resell at a profit = LAME. This is disc golf, only way to end this is DON'T BUY FROM MARKUP SCUMS!

Got to hand it to Innova though, in a negative way, their marketing and repackaging of products as different is brilliant.

Innova enables this sales ploy fully by not releasing their product evenly and timely.

How about the folks who can't afford a $75 disc bill just to have one disc, there are lots of us out there who aren't into scooping up just to resell and profit from others misfortune.
I won't support it.

I agree. My goal is to through production run discs these days, and it's pretty easy with everything out there. If others want to deal with mark-up prices, that's fine with me but I don't get it.

I won't support it.

How dare they?

You really told them.

I won't support it.

^i totally see your point, but then again not allowing people to sell for profit is basically being un-American! :p

seriously my DG friends who do a lot of those bulk purchases of rare/first run/proto collectable discs actually do have houses/wife/kids/great jobs and realize that its a pretty nice way to pay for DG expenses.

I'm an Amateur player, its a nice way to offset DG expenses like local leagues/tournaments/discs/bags a little bit. I did this before with my other hobby road bikes... you can often find collectable bikes/frames/parts if you do a little googling/craigslist/garage sale searching

I agree. My goal is to through production run discs these days, and it's pretty easy with everything out there. If others want to deal with mark-up prices, that's fine with me but I don't get it.

the best way to deal with this, as was mentioned before, is to buy 3 or four of them. that way you can avail of free shipping (so buy 3 star thunderbirds and maybe some factory seconds patent numbered destroyers).

I know its seems expensive to buy one disc and pay $6 flat rate shipping, but if you buy multiples you get the discs, free shipping, and 10% reward points that probably will amount to at least $7.00 (which can cover free shipping on a below $75 order in the future).

it actually ends up at least at retail pricing. you can sell the thunderbirds at cost with shipping ($20.00 + $2.45 for paypal first class shipping) and still get the reward points for future purchases (maybe another thunderbird). So you can end up ahead even selling off at retail.

Retailer's

I just don't understand why local retailers aren't upset with the factory store. They can keep doing limited releases until there's no demand. Then, when the market is saturated with a certain disc nobody is going to buy from the retailers.

I won't support it.

I agree with you but just sit back and laugh it off. That's what I do. I don't need a swirly star thunderbird... Sure they look cool but I don't NEED one, It would sit in a box. Discs are made to be thrown! I think people forget that as they are sliding them into ziplock bags like freaking comic books. Do I have a couple Old discs that are collectable? Yep but they are backups for discs Ive have in my bag for YEARS. People can spend money how ever they choose. Although most of them need to do a little more practicing and a lot less typing.

^i totally see your point, but then again not allowing people to sell for profit is basically being un-American! :p

seriously my DG friends who do a lot of those bulk purchases of rare/first run/proto collectable discs actually do have houses/wife/kids/great jobs and realize that its a pretty nice way to pay for DG expenses.

I'm an Amateur player, its a nice way to offset DG expenses like local leagues/tournaments/discs/bags a little bit. I did this before with my other hobby road bikes... you can often find collectable bikes/frames/parts if you do a little googling/craigslist/garage sale searching

the best way to deal with this, as was mentioned before, is to buy 3 or four of them. that way you can avail of free shipping (so buy 3 star thunderbirds and maybe some factory seconds patent numbered destroyers).

I know its seems expensive to buy one disc and pay $6 flat rate shipping, but if you buy multiples you get the discs, free shipping, and 10% reward points that probably will amount to at least $7.00 (which can cover free shipping on a below $75 order in the future).

it actually ends up at least at retail pricing. you can sell the thunderbirds at cost with shipping ($20.00 + $2.45 for paypal first class shipping) and still get the reward points for future purchases (maybe another thunderbird). So you can end up ahead even selling off at retail.

too lazy to sell stuff

I guess because I sell people collectible discs that they want at a price they're willing to pay I'm just "MARKUP SCUM." Seriously some people on here just need to chill out a little. And I do have a good job, but I don't make enough to order and try every disc I'd like to so I subsidize my habit by buying a few extras and selling them. You'd think I was taking food out of children's mouths the way some people treat this.

I've got no issue with reselling at a higher price. I just can't figure out why people pay some of these prices for plastic.

I've got no issue with reselling at a higher price. I just can't figure out why people pay some of these prices for plastic.

People are stupid. :wall: It is really fun to watch people bid up 20$ discs to like 50 or 60 dollars. These people MUST have crazy awesome jobs.

Star roc3s and Daedalus are coming out. I'm not excited about this release, but it is a step in the right direction!