• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starter Course vs Current Course

I threw many of my first rounds ever at blue ribbon pines so playing the neighborhood "starter" course felt like a joke and really made me itch to play as many courses as possible.

I always will prefer a good course for that reason but have come to love lots of the small forgotten 9 hole "starter" courses as well. Not any better place to get in tons of approach shots and work on different lines.

I've played a dozen different courses, mostly in the Charlotte area and I'm still learning. Just about every course plays a part in my DG education. A few of my Favorites are:

Oakboro - Mainly because it is the closest course to me. It is short but has tight and somewhat technical fairways that force me to really learn control.

Dry Creek - This course has a great mix of shorter tight fairways and longer wide open fairways. Some holes you need to have pretty precise control and others you can really air it out.

Reedy Creek - Is a beautiful wooded course that is not too tight, not too short and not too long with lots of elevation changes.

Fox Chase - Is a lot like Reedy I think only with more elevation changes.

Started playing at Bicentennial in Provo. Now there are only 6 holes left.

Now I play at Art Dye in American Fork. It's definitely more challenging. Bicentennial was pretty much wide open.

I definitely prefer Art Dye. However I kind of miss the good ole days when I was the only person playing out there. Its definitely gotten a lot busier, nothing like Creekside, but I used to be able to throw 100 shots on every hole, because I was the only one there.

First two courses were Middletown, MD and Codorus State Park in Hanover, PA. Middletown is the epitome of pitch and putt- great course for a bunch of 150ft noob hyzers and missed putts. Codorus ate my lunch the first time I played there, and I couldn't get enough.

Current course(s) are Wilson College, Whispering Falls and Ditto Farms.

Hard to say which I prefer really. I don't get to Middletown too often, but I play Codorus every chance I get. Whispering Falls holds a special place for me as designer, as does Ditto. I probably log more rounds at Wilson than anywhere else since it's two minutes away from me and a pretty good practice grounds.

The first course I played was Bear Creek in Grapevine TX. I played many rounds out there before I venture out to other courses, as it was by far the closest to where I was living.

I now mix it up a little more, but primarily I play out at Turner Park in GP, and will also probably play more at Trophy Club Park with the recent redesign.

On what course did you learn to play Disc Golf?
What course do you currently play?
Which do you prefer?

I learned to play Disc Golf at McClure Park, in Tulsa, OK. in 2005.
I now play at Cameron Park in Waco, TX.

Cameron Park is more challenging and a better course, IMO.

One of my favorite pictures of McClure.

otela0.jpg

McClure is a fun one, I didn't play it enough when I lived there.

I learned on Chandler Park - Original in Tulsa.

Now I mostly play Abendschein in Oak Creek, WI and Valley View in New Berlin.

Overall I like the Milwaukee area courses better than the Tulsa courses, even though I do think that the Tulsa courses are a bit underrated. Chandler still holds a special place in my heart, but I like Abby and VV. At least Abby has a decent mix of shots. Chandler was a good starter course for me though. VV is similar, when I want to introduce someone to the game I will take them to VV. Abby is not a bad choice for that either, but I fear that new players will get intimidated by 500+ ft holes.

Man there are all sorts of past Tulsans in this thread! I thought it was a great place for Disc Golf. I don't know if you've played the new course at Chandler (I think it only went in around 2010), but it was probably my favorite course to play around town.

Moose Run is fun. I didn't get to play it too much. It is probably better than Abendschein or Valley View, thinking back on it. I was in Stillwater from 2008 to Dec 2012 so I went home and played Moose Run only occasionally. After I graduated from OSU I moved to WI.

Started playing in 1999 at McNish Park because I didn't have much else to do when visiting the parents in Fairbury, NE. Lovely short course, BTW. Didn't play much elsewhere for the next fourteen years except at a short-lived course called Yeager Park in Olympia, WA.

Now, I play at Saint Martin's since it is were I work and thus convenient. It has led to me get more serious about the game.

For a serious game I'll drive to Shelton since it is the best course within a hour's drive IMHO. Besides going up to Steilacoom means I-5 traffic.

Single chain trained

Started around 1993 at Burke Lake Park after discovering the course when taking my daughter to the park. Played my first PDGA tourney there in 1995 (Duck Golf, an A-Tier, and had my first tourney ace). Its an old-school course (I think Steady Eddie was involved in the 1977/1978 design).

After moving to Charlotte in 2010, I have tooooooo many great courses to consider my favorite course. Push come to shove, I guess Plantation Ruins would be considered my home course (helped build it, course TD'ed during the 2012 Worlds, and am the Charlotte DGC course director).

The first courses I played were ones I made up myself (trees, light poles, trash cans, etc.) because there were no courses here at that time.

The first course I played that someone else made up was the trash can course in Roosevelt Park in Albuq., NM (before it got changed to baskets).

The first baskets I played on were at my first real tournament in Zilker Park in Austin, TX.

Hey I also learned to play at McClure! You didn't like it? Its one of my favorites in T-town.

My bad. I wasn't implying I don't like McClure, just that I think Cameron is a more challenging course.

McClure seems to rank high with most Tulsa players, including myself. I was told by several different long time players, that there used to be a LOT more trees (Elm?), but a disease wiped out most of them.

Started : delaveaga

Closest course: chabot park

Quite a step down. I play lots of safari to make up for it

Started at Chabot and still play there about 90% of my rounds. 10 to 15 minutes to drive vs 45 to an hour plus. Safari is definitely required!
At least there are more local spots going in and in the works. It's gonna suck when they close the park to rebuild the dam.

Last edited:
I learned on, and currently play the same course. I venture out sometimes and play others, but I like to stay close to "home."

I learned at the 2 courses in Hudson mills metro park(Milford,MI). My current home course is "the farm" in Farmington hills,MI. I'd much prefer to still play the other two courses.

Um, Hudson Mills is in Dexter. Kensington is in Milford.

Hey BigSky...just a question: where are you from? With a screename like yours, I imagine you from my home state, but I could be wayyyyy off...

Not counting some neighbor hood object golf when we were young.
When I started playing/learned for real, it was at Shelton Springs.
And that's also my home course (10 min. away) so I play there most often.
The bad part is, when you learn at or often play at, one of the best courses in the state, everything else is kinda of a disappointment.

Audubon Park was my first course, but I soon got discouraged by it because of my short distance (about 200 feet at the time). It was cool to come back to it after a few months and witness my improvement.

I now play all over DFW, and occasionally play Audubon where I recently deuced a 310 foot hole after overthrowing the basket by 20 feet. Pretty sweet (for me at least).

Latest posts