• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starting Disc Golf high school team

Redbone1412

So does anybody on here have any experience in this field? I was wondering if anyone even knows of any high schools in their are that has DG teams. I think this would be one way to really grow the sport if we could actually get teams going in high school. I have a PE and Health degree and will hopefully have a job in a HS before to long and would be able check into this further. I am in central Kentucky so any info from people around here would be great too!

I don't have any answers for you, Red, but it's definitely an idea worth pursuing. You might consider contacting the local club(s) in the area to see if anyone has (and would be willing to lend you) a basket or two to take to the school. Get a few Leopards, Skeeters, and Aviars and set up a temp course for a PE class one day. Show them the ropes, learn them up on the rules, and I'll bet you get a few HS kids addicted.

DG is like crack: A little taste is all it takes. :) Good luck!

It might be more doable to try starting a Disc Golf "Little League" for kids as an after-school activity rather than trying to get into schools. However, the EDGE program may help you get disc golf into schools. Check it out...

http://www.edgediscgolf.org/

I am starting the process of trying to get intramural disc golf for the junior and senior high schools. If it takes off, then try and get some sort of (team) and contact neighboring schools to join and start a conference. I'll let you know if I make any progress. Would love to hear from others as well.

The problem I see with a high school team is that it needs an opponent. So you need TWO high school teams at least. I'm not sure we're to the point as a sport where organized school competition is a realistic goal. With that said, I've been wrong before and would really like to be wrong this time. Good luck!

The problem I see with a high school team is that it needs an opponent. So you need TWO high school teams at least. I'm not sure we're to the point as a sport where organized school competition is a realistic goal. With that said, I've been wrong before and would really like to be wrong this time. Good luck!

Highschool kids would be more than content with singles comp just like ball golf teams.. truuuuuuuust me they like being #1 at those ages even if its within the school or general area. they don't NEED other school opponents unless your trying to build a collegiate style play with a few weird tournaments that prove nothing.

I have actually been thinking about doing this same thing. The hardest part would be getting participation from outside the school you are teaching in. I would definitely contact the AD and spitball ideas to see what they think. After that you would need either funding from the school (good luck) or find outside sponsorships to help start the team. Finding a local shop or online store that will give you some good deals would help get kids discs since a lot won't have a bag to start with. Singles would most likely be the only way to go until it really grew and then you could start doubles and invitationals. Funding is the major obstacle I would say.

There is a high school around me that has a 18 Disc Golf course set up on its property. It's part of there gym class. I would start there, getting into gym class, then set up a Disc Golf Club.

Tournaments/Leagues could be held for the members. They will be competing between themselves unless you can include some of the other clubs in the area and make it a fund raiser for the club.

If the school won't financially support it, I believe that would be a great way to raise some funds. As you go through the process write down what your doing and how, that way you have a guide to give other PE coaches/Schools in your area to start clubs.

Once enough schools have clubs then the process of setting up a school team can begin. But you got to lay it out how to start for the other schools because there probably won't be any DG'ers in the other school to have the motivation to figure it out themselves.

I do remember one of the online sites sells discs in a lot of 30. 10 "Drivers" 10 Mids 10 Putters. I can't find it at the moment.

On a side note, high school ball golf teams don't play just themselves they play against other competing schools.

What state do you live? The Hamilton DG Union has Hosted the Indiana State H.S.D.G. Championships the last 4 years. If you have FB check out "The Disc Golf Company" for more info. or look up MacDaddy here on DGCR.

there are several HS and MS clubs around here. Unfortunately they dont compete against each other. I have two good friends who run one of the clubs. I have been suggesting for years to them and to other club heads I know in the area to organize a Fall and Spring competition between the different HS clubs.

This is a great idea and you could eventually have success imo. I don't know anything about the process or red tape involved but the same thing is being done with ultimate. My wife is a veteran of the ultimate scene here and coaches a local high school team. It's all volunteer and still a club sport but it's growing rapidly. There are 3-4 local teams and they also travel some and have a state championship each year. It's not easy being a club team because of the busy sports schedule at a high school open field space is limited. I think this could work really well for dg using a similar model, especially if you have access to good course close to the school. I think the next wave of growth in the sport will come from high school and college which already has a good thing going. If you have any questions let me know and I'll see if the wife could help answer them.
Good luck!

This is a great idea and you could eventually have success imo. I don't know anything about the process or red tape involved but the same thing is being done with ultimate.

Assuming this is a public high school getting funding from the school could range from tough to nearly impossible (unless they are looking to expand their athletics program, which is unlikely).

Best bet would be to start as a club and accumulate sponsors and do fundraising. Might be better off as a school sanctioned club rather than a varsity sport as there is probably a lot less red tape.